1970 Challenger T/A with pics

Author Topic: 1970 Challenger T/A with pics  (Read 5063 times)

Offline challenger_440

1970 Challenger T/A with pics
« on: June 06, 2005 - 11:41:54 PM »
I know I've had this already but this time I finally got the pics to see wat you all think? Its the one a guy wants $15,000 for. With a red on red with all numbers matching so he says. And I just want to know if it's worth to bring back but I know it is but what about the rest of you? Here are also the pics of the 70 Chally R/T I'm thinking about getting if I dont get the T/A.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005 - 06:59:39 PM by challenger_440 »

Offline Bondavi

Re: 1970 Challenger T/A with pics
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005 - 01:31:21 AM »

I'm trying hard to like it, but there just some things that don't sit too well with me. :nono:

First of all the condition of the body is fair at best, the type where you'd call "basket case". You don't see the full picture, the trunk, rails, floor pans, etc. Assuming they are shot (which is obvious because of the car being exposed to open elements), it'd take a donor car to transplant and repair all the deterioration.

Question is...why was the car parked and parted out in the first place? Accident? Blown motor? Get as much info out of the owner what he knows about the car's history. The handwriting style leads me to believe he's up there in age, and in my experience can either be so hard nosed on price they'd take the car to the grave, or they'd accept a decent offer if it was waved in front of their face.

Let me ask myself this. If this was a Hemi or 440-6 car, excluding the motor, would it be worthwhile? Yes! For a T/A? Of course! It just depends on the eye of the beholder, and their skills, not to mention thickness of wallet to finance the major body work.

All finished, bills paid, this car would look real eye-catching, with that red-on-red, I admit. But some things you just have to accept that are too far gone, and some not.

Say, whats up with that purple Challenger in the background of the first pic?

David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005 - 04:41:31 AM »
I don't know if they still have it, but YearOne used to have a nice little editorial in their catelog about restoring a car like this.

The short answer is RUN, don't walk away.  You will have to spend 3-5x to get this car back into decent shape compared to buying one already done.

This is a case where the sum of the parts add up to MUCH more than the whole.  Do yourself a favor and go to ebay and try to price out just the parts needed to restore that interior.

JMO

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005 - 06:01:07 AM »
The short answer is RUN, don't walk away.  You will have to spend 3-5x to get this car back into decent shape compared to buying one already done.

:iagree:

As much as I love seeing cars brought back from the far beyond, this one seems to be a stretch.
Not that it can't, but the cost ( especialy for TA parts ) will be through the roof.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:12:08 AM »
I think if you can get that car for 10k you would be doing good. After that Its seems pricey for the car.  I love the fact that its a red on red set up.  Good luck in your decsion.

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:17:22 AM »
 :'( Now that is a crying shame. Why do owners allow this kind of derteration to happen?  :banghead:  $15,000.00 Sorry, no way ! As has been stated (unless your a millionaire and like waiting 5 years for your car) look for one done, a current turn key car would cost less than what this poor thing will cost to restore!  Personally, who wouldn't want an original T/A or an AAR car? But in reality when your sitting behind the wheel and cruiseing you don't see the badging anyway and the pride of Mopar still fills your heart.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005 - 01:17:46 PM »
If you have the patience, the money, the resources, the money and the money to restore it, go for it. If not, walk away.

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005 - 02:20:06 PM »
Simply put this car is NOT worth that kind of money............too much time and labor and materials........your best hope could ever be to break even.........and who knows that until you gambled thousands of dollars in the car..........be patient and other opportunities will present itself

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005 - 02:53:15 PM »
Look,
  I know it's a T/A and all, but give me a break!!! 15K for that???  :dupe: :bs: :dupe: :bs: :dupe: :bs:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline challenger_440

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005 - 06:14:00 PM »
Well he said he got it from Florida and bought and took it to texas to get bought I guess? The parts I've looked up for the car aren't that expensive it added up for all the parts isn't that much. And if I dont get this he also has a 1971 Chally R/T 383 with automatic which he wants I think 6500 for? And I know for a fact I'd never give him 15000 for the T/A? He also has donor car that he will sell me for the T/A.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:04:13 PM »
Unless $$ is no object and you just want to do a total resto of a T/A, I'd pass. If you did all the work yourself, you might be able to break even if your time was free. Like others said above...better to buy one done or at least a decent roller. A friend of mine just bought a running/driving T/A with a 318 in it for 15K, very solid car. white car with perfect black interior, 4 speed too. I admit he got a great deal...i'd say the car is worth 25-30K as it sits now...he also got a T/A block with it too! so there are still deals out there...just have to keep turning over them rocks.

:beer:

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:14:00 PM »
Simply put this car is NOT worth that kind of money............too much time and labor and materials........your best hope could ever be to break even.........and who knows that until you gambled thousands of dollars in the car..........be patient and other opportunities will present itself

Well put.. :iagree: :iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:27:13 PM »
Not very long ago a guy bought a running, driving T/A with a 318 in it for 15,000. It also came with a non #s matching T/A block. Deals are still out there, this T/A does not appear to be one of them. Consider making him a lower (much lower) cash offer and see what happens.

Best of luck,
Barry

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005 - 08:43:12 PM »
Not very long ago a guy bought a running, driving T/A with a 318 in it for 15,000. It also came with a non #s matching T/A block. Deals are still out there, this T/A does not appear to be one of them. Consider making him a lower (much lower) cash offer and see what happens.

Best of luck,
Barry

Barry, look 2 posts above yours....I think we are talking about the same car.....LOL

Offline Wanted:cuda

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005 - 09:18:40 PM »
Why parted out?

look at the front right in the first pic, that looks like a donour tire while all others are the rallyes, and by coincidence the front right fender is also missing, i think it was hit in the front right then parked and parted.

Theres a plum crazy chally in the back of that same pic too