Author Topic: Brake Check Valve  (Read 938 times)

Offline gichy

Brake Check Valve
« on: June 08, 2005 - 08:10:49 PM »
Went to Nappa Auto parts today to get some brake line tubing for my new brakes, and started talking to the sales guy.
He mentioned that I need a check valve for the rear drums, it mounts after the proportioning valve.
I have never heard of this  :dontknow:
Does any one know what he is talking about and where I could buy one, Nappa does not sell them.

Thanks Rich
1974 Barracuda, 340cid, 4 speed OD !!

Btch n Blue

Re: Brake Check Valve
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005 - 10:44:31 PM »
He's probably talking about the metering valve... unless you're going with a perfect restoration, toss your ORIGINAL proportioning valve and buy an adjustable inline.... it will save you headaches and money!! :thumbs: But, if you really want to try to find one... more power to ya! :wave:

Offline gichy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005 - 08:05:46 AM »
Thanks B*tch
Do you still need a metering valve if you have a adjustable inline proportioning valve

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005 - 09:08:48 AM »
He's talking about a residual pressure valve.  Check this link for more info.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/typical.htm

It really depends on what master cylinder you are using and your brake setup.  I assume you are converting the front brakes from drums to disc, right?  The residual pressure valve keeps the circuit slightly pressurized when released so that your pedal travel will be less on apply.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005 - 09:12:34 AM by wrencher »

Offline gichy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005 - 03:24:11 PM »
That a great site wrencher

My cuda came with front disc brakes and rear drums, but I only have a proportioning valve I think.

How would I know if my proportioning valve has a residual valve built in?

http://www.mpbrakes.com/what's4.htm

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005 - 03:44:45 PM »
If you are not changing the original configuration of the brakes, then you shouldn't have to add a residual valve. Cars that came with disc/drum brakes from the factory have combination valves which have all the functions in one unit. 

Just replace your rusted/bent lines with new ones and bleed them and you should be set.   :wave: