Author Topic: Basic front end adjustments  (Read 1158 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
Basic front end adjustments
« on: June 10, 2005 - 07:59:36 PM »
I am starting to pu tmy front end back together.  I would like to know how to place things (tie rods, control arms) so the front end is somewhat aligned so I can drive it to the shop to get it aligned.  The shop is not far and there will be no high speed driving.  I have the shop manual, but that seems get kind of confusing.  I know this is kind of broad, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Basic front end adjustments
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005 - 01:31:00 AM »
for the castor adjustment turn the rear upper control arm eccentric all the way in & th efront all the way out , don``t worry about the camber , & set the toe in to 1/8" toe in

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005 - 08:40:58 PM »
Thanks Chryo.  What exactly do you mean by all the way in and all the way out.  I see how the front and rear eccentric fits into a horizontal slot.  Is all the way in toward the engine compartment and all the way out in the opposite direction?  I marked where the eccentrics were before I took them out, which is where I placed them for now ( I didnt torque them down yet).  Should I leave them like this or go all the way in and all the way out?  You adjust toe in by the tie rod adjusting sleaves correct ?  What am I setting to 1/8th?

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline b5blueaar

• Mad Max Cuda
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005 - 09:49:36 PM »
yes, you set the toe in by the tie rod adjusting sleeves.
the distance (across the car) between the front edge of the tires should be 1/8 inch less that the distance between the rear of the tires.
In other words, the front tires are pointing in at each other 1/8 inch.
I believe this makes them try and self center after you make a turn.