Overwhelmed Newbie

Author Topic: Overwhelmed Newbie  (Read 4208 times)

Offline 72BigBlue

Overwhelmed Newbie
« on: June 13, 2005 - 06:29:20 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, as well as the restoration game,  my partner and I recently bought our first project car, a 72 challenger, it needs a complete restoring, we are so overwhelmed, we don't know where to begin, we figure our first goal would be to get it running.  The last owner dropped a 383 in it, literally, it's not even mounted to the frame.  It's going to be alot of work, but we are excited, we have been waiting for this for many years, when we bought our house, we seeked out a two car garage specifically for this purpose.  If anyone has any helpful advice, good websites, good places to buy (aside from Summit and Year One), we'd much appreciate it.  I have been looking all over the net and found many resources, I'm just not sure which ones are trust worthy.  I have been combing through this forum and have found alot of great info, I was able to figure out our car's vin and fender tag info (I was just happy they matched).  Thanks in advance for any kind of help you can offer.  I have a few pics, but be forwarned, it's not pretty.  I don't have any pics of the interior, but the dash is cracked pretty bad and we need to either replace/recover the seats.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/ponytx/Dogandcar72.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/ponytx/nose72.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/ponytx/engine.jpg

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Overwhelmed Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005 - 06:33:54 PM »

Welcome aboard mate, great looking project car!  :D

Have you seen our home page? The car of the month is what yours could be.  :drool:

It will be easier for you to Ask away when you get to each particular part, we have all the guys here to help you out.  ;) :wave:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005 - 06:35:40 PM by NZ 440RT »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 70RT440SHAKER

• Challenger R/T
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005 - 06:41:10 PM »
Welcome newbie,

The restoration game as you call it is as different as we all are, so my advice is to start to eliminate all rust process from the car and then take it step by stepto completion, since this is your first project I would docement all bolts and screws taken from the car and even picture every detail thoroughly before removing them from the car. Start it running and driving, will probably take your mind off the restoration process in one stage or another, so working from the ground up will get you there eventually and when done you can be proud of your hard and correctly done job.

Good luck

Offline inot2old

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 - 06:42:35 PM »
Welcome to the site.  It looks like you have a nice car to startwith.  IMO Legendary Auto Interiors is the best place for interior parts.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005 - 06:43:12 PM »
Looks like you have a good starting point. That will be a nice car when it's done. You've come to the right place for help..lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here.

:beer:

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005 - 06:51:56 PM »
  Welcome 72BigBlue. Both of ya's take a deep breath, write a plan out, and take things one step at a time :thumbs: Ask away no matter what point you're at - someone here will be pretty close to the same place - and post lots of pics  :beer:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005 - 07:10:26 PM »
Welcome friend (s), you will absolutely find any answer to any question you may have about any stage of restoration on an e-bod at this site. I'd only suggest like someone else has mentioned, formulate what you what the car to be, then determine a progressive plan to reach that finished goal, there will be a logical sequence to this so as to avoid "re work" and or added expenses. There are members here who can mentally see where you are at and can tell you your best next step. Unfortunately, I would not fall into that elete group, but beleive me others here do! There are web sites of our members who have documented via instruction and pics of their own resto, I'd study some of these to perhaps determine what you may decide to do with your 72, and that loks like a real nice start for a beautiful ride, congratulations.  :thumbs:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005 - 08:23:36 PM »
Welcome to cc.com!!  Great place here!!  Have questions, just ask!!  Everyone here likes to help!   :beer:  :beer:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005 - 08:28:48 PM »
Welcome to the board!! You're in for a lot of fun!  Your car looks like a great place to start.  While going through our resto (we're on the tail end now), we document just about every step of the way with photos.  If you'd like to visit the website, click on the globe on my sidebar.  

Looking forward to watching your progess with the Chally.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

RedLine

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005 - 08:44:22 PM »
Welcome!  We have a thread you could check to see whos who and what we're working on
click here....
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/smf/index.php?topic=6099.0
its somewhat outdated cuz we've had a huge surge in membership...  but it will give you an idea.
We have alot going on, and there are alot of 72 Challys here

Buy 10 boxes of Glad Freezer bags and several Sharpies.  Mark everything.  You'll be glad you did in the future.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005 - 08:46:50 PM »
Welcome to the board!!!!  That looks like a great start to a very nice car after you get it restored. :thumbs: :grinyes:  As for restoration suggestions, be sure to add Legendary Auto Interiors, www.legendaryautointeriors.com to your list of places to turn to when it comes to seat upholstery kits. :thumbs:  Good luck! :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005 - 11:32:21 PM »
I have no experience with them but I think the paddock is good they are like year one and summit. I also seem to think I heard they are cheaper! maybe someone else can elaborate!! :thumbs: I know they are really knowledgeable!!

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005 - 05:42:03 AM »
Man did you stumble across the right place  :wave:

You hit the one forum where you can get any question answered and you won't get hammered for asking.  I've been here a little while and can tell you, jerks aren't tolerated.

That said, Welcome  :thumbs:

You'll get used to everyone wanting pics.  You have a paint scheme planned yet ?  Auto or 4-speed ?

Enjoy,

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005 - 06:32:29 AM »
Welcome aboard  :wave:

Plenty of experience here to pull from - many knowledgeable members  :thumbs:
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005 - 06:39:27 AM »
Welcome to the board!  Glad to have another member in our community. 

Group, here's another newbie that's in search of vendors and resto information.  We should pool our knowledge instead of making every new member ask the same questions over and over.  We know where the stuff is.  Why hold the info so tight to our vest?   :dontknow:

It's obvious the big guys (YearOne, Paddock, etc) have good stuff, but many times there are other smaller sources for the same exact item at much lower prices.  It would take a new person (like myself who is still learning) many hours to find these smaller vendors and even then they probably wouldn't trust them. 

Specific questions will always need personal attention, but is a list of vendors, what they provide and personal experience with them too much to ask??? 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005 - 06:43:53 AM by wrencher »