Overwhelmed Newbie

Author Topic: Overwhelmed Newbie  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Mopar73340

Re: Overwhelmed Newbie
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005 - 07:29:46 AM »
 :iagree: Welcome, Glad to see another 72-74 Chally..
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

kudakidd

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005 - 08:25:18 AM »
Welcome to E-town! This place, Moparts and Google will be your best friends during your restoration. Good luck.

Offline Cranker

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005 - 09:47:55 AM »
Welcome to the addiction... This is the best site for the ebodies bar none, you will find a lot of information here. just so happens i have the same car.

[attachment deleted by admin]
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005 - 04:18:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum BigBlue!  You have a great start with that car, it is much better than what I expected to see from your written description.  Just take it one day at a time and be patient.  Don't rush it, you will be happy in the long run if you take your time.

Offline 72BigBlue

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005 - 05:47:47 PM »
Wow, Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I'm feeling alot less stressed out now, esp. now that the car is in our garage.  When it was in front of our house, a guy even stopped and offered us help if we ever need it (he has a restored Dart). I must say the Mopar community has really surprised me, I really look forward to getting my hands dirty and meeting more new friends. Thanks again.

All the chally's I have seen (and Cuda's too) are so beautiful, they really have inspired me.  Right now it has an auto tranny, will prob. keep it that way.  Paint color we are not sure on, I'd like triple black, but when I decoded the fender tag, it did have a white vinyl top with a white longitudinal stripe, while poking around in the car I see two shades of blue paint, and one shade of a rusty red color (and its the paint, NOT rust), the red seems to be the first color.  Right now the interior is blue w/ what appears to be black spray painted dash/doors.  Thanks for all the websites, they are all great, esp. Rev's.  Thanks again for all the help, I'm sure it won't be last you hear of me.

72BigBlue

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005 - 08:35:51 PM »
Hi again 72BigBlue.  I too was shocked when I found out how helpful the Mopar people are.  My husband has a Cutlass and GM people were never as nice as all of the Mopar people I have met.  I have only run into two snotty ones so far and now I know not to go near them.  By chance, did you take a pic of your fender tag yet?  That will tell you the original color of the car as well. I love Triple Black cars.  The chrome trim stands out so much and they look SO classy.

Offline 72BigBlue

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005 - 08:48:17 PM »
I have looked at the fender code, some of it is difficult to read, when I used a decoder, it says the paint code is unknown.  I wasn't sure how to clean it up without damaging it.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005 - 08:49:45 PM »
I have looked at the fender code, some of it is difficult to read, when I used a decoder, it says the paint code is unknown.  I wasn't sure how to clean it up without damaging it.

Take a picture of it and lets have a look!   :thumbs:

Offline 72BigBlue

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005 - 09:46:24 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive:

I think it says this....

N23   R11   V7W   EN2
J25   L25   L31   M21   M25   M42
V1W   U   C16   C56   G11   G35   
T33   B6B5?   000   714   31755
E44    D34   JH23   C25 (G2B?)   505399

VIN:  JH23G2B505399

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005 - 10:00:08 PM »
Welome

You have found a great resoure in this site and the people that take part in it.

I'm in about the same postion as both of you. Just today I sat down with paper, pen my Paul Herd retoration guide and a year one catalog to begin the first steps in my project.

I will just need to remember anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Good luck

1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005 - 06:46:00 AM »
The original color was TB3 - Blue Streak, aka Super Blue, aka Basin Street Blue.  It's the only color besides black that starts with a "T".
I'm sure if you look in the deep recesses of the car (maybe under the carpet or seats) you will find the original B3 color.
You didn't mention where you found the red that appeared to be original, but it's possible that panel was "donated" from another car during a previous repair.

This 1973 brochure uses the three-digit code for paint colors.  The 1972 brochure didn't list codes at all, only names.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2005 - 06:55:42 AM by wrencher »

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005 - 09:49:54 AM »
 Could be that the red looking color is the factory primer color also.  Bodyman friend of mine says a rusty red color is pretty common as a factory primer color for the 70's.
  There are 3 Mopar magazines you should look out for....
   Mopar Muscle
   Mopar Action
   Mopar Collectors Guide

Those are the ones I can find around here anyway. There are other titles but some have folded over the years [ Hi- perf Mopar,  CPPD ]
   They are worth the $5  for the articles, plus they have advertisements from the small vendors the other members have mentioned.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005 - 10:20:10 AM »
 Ya get it running first. You'll enjoy it more if you can at least drive it. "I have a work in progress" 72 Challenger, that I drive to work every day.
 Also find out where and when the mopar swap meets are in your area and go to every single one. Bring alot of cash and go EARLY!!! It might be a good idea to write down everything you need for your car, so when you go, you won't forget to look for stuff, like I've done several times  :laughing:

Mopar people are the best!!! There the only ones I've EVER seen that wav or give a thumbs up every time one mopar passes another, no matter the condition. And if you need help with anything, they will go out of there way to help ya.
 Now watch the Camaro guys, they could drive by each other all day and never wav, probably because there cars look just like each others.  :grinyes:

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005 - 03:55:45 PM »
 :laughup: :iagree: Yep, they are so darn bored they just think they have just passed themselves,lol. The reason Mopar people are like you all have said is that the car makes you happy, proud, and willing to share and help. But, unfortunately there are some just plain people who own Mopars and they just don't get it! Sad, isn't it?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005 - 03:56:19 PM »
Welcome! You sure have found the right place for info on your Chally, 72BB! C-C.C is a great place for Mopar enthusiasts.