Author Topic: Challenger A/C in non-A/C car  (Read 7513 times)

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
Re: Challenger A/C in non-A/C car
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016 - 06:38:44 PM »
Thats news to me also, about the fresh air. Got a Vinage Air system waiting for the car to get done (stock AC car). Did the original AC box draw fresh air from the outside? I remember my old non AC Challenger, I really liked the fresh air vents.
                     On max A/C the inlet door at the lower cowl opening closed, and the recirc door opened, recirculating the cabin air.  On regular A/C the the reverse happened so you were trying to cool hot outside air. The vintage air, as stated comes with a block off for the lower cowl opening. There was no lower cowl fresh air opening on drivers side of A/C cars.  I guess you could put one in wanted, but why.  :dunno:  Open the windows.    :smilielol:

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016 - 07:18:24 PM »
Interesting. Gotta look at that someday, have not unpacked my Vintage air boxes yet so I dont know what everything looks like.
I got mine on a rotissery now, everything is out so if you want photos and measurements I can provide that Robert. Or if I can make a template from some reference points somehow.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016 - 08:01:46 PM »
Interesting. Gotta look at that someday, have not unpacked my Vintage air boxes yet so I dont know what everything looks like.
I got mine on a rotissery now, everything is out so if you want photos and measurements I can provide that Robert. Or if I can make a template from some reference points somehow.
                   Good idea to open the box, get the instructions out and get familiar with them now. Then put in a safe place a read again before install   :2cents:

Offline rftroy

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016 - 11:34:50 PM »
OK.  I started on disassembly today and got a good look at the firewall.
It will be very easy to weld in patches to the firewall and then cut out the correct holes.

So, now the question is:  Does anyone have, or have the ability to make, a template of the A/C firewall holes?

I am making an AMD buy soon, so I will ask them if they will be nice and give me a drawing of their A/C firewall.

In case that doesn't work, anyone have a car apart who can make an accurate template?

Robert
AAR 4-speed 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner 4-speed 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv 383 4-speed 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv Slant 6 OD4 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
70 Challenger S/E.  Soon to be 505 6 pack, Aluminum Hemi 4-speed, 3.55, Plum Crazy

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016 - 06:01:05 PM »
OK.  I started on disassembly today and got a good look at the firewall.
It will be very easy to weld in patches to the firewall and then cut out the correct holes.

So, now the question is:  Does anyone have, or have the ability to make, a template of the A/C firewall holes?

I am making an AMD buy soon, so I will ask them if they will be nice and give me a drawing of their A/C firewall.

In case that doesn't work, anyone have a car apart who can make an accurate template?

Robert

I can do it.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline rftroy

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016 - 07:47:09 PM »
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;
70 Challenger S/E.  Soon to be 505 6 pack, Aluminum Hemi 4-speed, 3.55, Plum Crazy

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016 - 05:04:08 PM »
Yes they block off the opening but all it is is a big hole with a lip. Make a simple sliding plate that gets pulled open or pushed closed with a left over factory pull knob.
Eventually will be going vintage on mine but removed the factory setup for other reasons and just blocked hole. IIRC the "fresh" air is drawn thru the hood louvers into plenum and then into the cabin. There is a seal to block off engine compartment. If hood is not down properly (ie bad hinges) and as seal is 40 + years old. Not very effective so you get the engine compartments "fresh" air mixed in.

My2c

And in reference to the previous pics they also make bulkhead fittings in a straight line.  That is my plan to use.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016 - 05:06:33 PM by YellowThumper »
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016 - 05:59:01 PM »
Here is my car in its current state. What if I just put a piece of paper/cardboard on the outside, get some reference points, to measure from, then draw all the holes from the inside. Add a correct size ruler on that piece of paper, scan it, and send you a pdf file that you can print, and then you can check that it printed in the correct size with the ruler.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline rftroy

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016 - 06:11:40 PM »
Sound control (Ken?),
That would be great.  Thanks.
Robert
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red;

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016 - 04:13:30 PM »
Sound control (Ken?),
That would be great.  Thanks.
Robert

Robert, I just sent you a mail with the template I made and some photos for reference.

/Ken
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline Rolling_Thunder

• only 2 things get my attention, gas and perfume
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016 - 06:15:04 PM »
So....    late to the party here ---  looking to do the same thing...    anyone have that template rolling around ?
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L / 6-speed

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara - 440 8-71 / 4-speed

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2016 - 06:32:27 PM »
So....    late to the party here ---  looking to do the same thing...    anyone have that template rolling around ?

I just looked for the mail with the template I made for Robert but its gone from my Sent mailbox (it deletes old mails after a while), maybe Robert still has it, if not, reply to this thread next week (so I'll get a reminder notice) and I will look for the actual PDF files, gotta have them somewhere... (cant look now, on my way to a rock festival, be back Sunday night).
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline AARTA340

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016 - 06:51:19 PM »
Here is my car in its current state. What if I just put a piece of paper/cardboard on the outside, get some reference points, to measure from, then draw all the holes from the inside. Add a correct size ruler on that piece of paper, scan it, and send you a pdf file that you can print, and then you can check that it printed in the correct size with the ruler.

I actually did just that in 1980 right after I bought my 71 vert. It came with dealer installed ac, and even with the low profile under dash unit, I wanted a true oem appearance or at least as much as possible. I found a donor car, lots of them in 1980 and then reconfigured the firewall to accept the ac box. It was quite easy. I took my time and it looks like it belongs there. As I said the dealer installed ac left some holes that were not original, but back then it didn't matter as much as it does today. From the inside you would never know, except for the fresh air duct on the drivers side.  You have to look twice to see it under the hood, but is still somewhat hidden by hoses and what not. It does not have the raised edge around the fan unit as originals, but in my opinion, why cut out a perfectly good firewall just to install an aftermarket one?

My car is a 318 car and being it already had been modified by the dealer made it a no brainer to do it. Now on the other hand, if it was a higher end car, v or r code, it may need a second thought.

Offline Rolling_Thunder

• only 2 things get my attention, gas and perfume
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016 - 04:33:24 PM »
Hey sound control - thanks for the help - i contacted Robert but no luck on a reply

If you could go digging when you get some time i would much appreciate it.   :worshippy
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L / 6-speed

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / Auto

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara - 440 8-71 / 4-speed

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016 - 04:58:38 AM »
Hey sound control - thanks for the help - i contacted Robert but no luck on a reply

If you could go digging when you get some time i would much appreciate it.   :worshippy

Hey, found it! Here is a Dropbox link for download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hub7ie9mtsh78m/Challenger%20AC%20TMPL%203003.pdf?dl=0

A few notes, it is a 3 page PDF doc, needs to be printed in A4 (not letter size, that will screw up the measurements). Once printed I put X's over the page edges to line up the 3 pages. There is also a horisontal and a vertical line that is supposed to be exactly 10", put those in to ensure correct printing size. It worked fine for Robert, I got a mail from him with some more good points and a picture, I can send you that if you PM me a mailadress.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new