Author Topic: Fender tags for sale  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Beekeeper

Fender tags for sale
« on: April 10, 2016 - 08:43:23 PM »
Ok, I must be missing something so I just gotta ask...

Why would anyone pay big money for a fender tag of a car that no longer exists? I see tons of them on eBay regularly and some guys are asking crazy prices. I even contacted a few of the guys to inquire about the cars and was told they parted the car or it was wrecked and crushed. VIN tags gone so no chance to resurrect something that I can see.

I see it might be neat to have them on the garage wall as decoration but only if they are $5 or $10 not $500. Now if someone found my tag, I might pay $500

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: Fender tags for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016 - 09:12:58 PM »
Sucker born every day, makes no sense.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016 - 09:53:42 PM »
I lot of people like to collect things. There's other types of collectibles that cost WAY more then $500....

So I guess if you figure that each tag is for sure a 1 of 1 and if you find a tag to a rare Hemi car....The tag is just as rare as the car would be... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016 - 10:33:47 PM »
Maybe $500 is just the starting point for some of these guys. Some guys like to "update" their cars for fun and profit.

Sheldon

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016 - 10:37:28 AM »
Or maybe they are thinking someone will recreate the vin & build a rare are from the tags

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016 - 11:37:38 AM »
I think in hopes the real owner(s) of the car(s) that have a missing tag, will pay big bux for it if found.

If it's a rare, four-speed, highly-optioned, car, I bet ya there'd be someone willing to pay $2000-3000 for their missing tag if found.  Especialy if it's  a 4-speed and/or shaker car.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016 - 10:25:56 PM »
I think in hopes the real owner(s) of the car(s) that have a missing tag, will pay big bux for it if found.

If it's a rare, four-speed, highly-optioned, car, I bet ya there'd be someone willing to pay $2000-3000 for their missing tag if found.  Especialy if it's  a 4-speed and/or shaker car.

That's the part that puzzles me. I contacted a few sellers out of curiosity and it's the same stories. The car was wrecked and crushed or I parted the car and sold the thing for scrap. So unless someone can recreate a VIN tag, it's just decoration. Even if you could recreate the VIN plate, I think scrap yards are required to keep records on the cars they destroy so you'd think there are records in some insurance database showing the car was destroyed. Not sure on the records part but seems reasonable.

I'd certainly pay for a missing fender tag but not for a non matching one. I certainly get the collectible thing but many of the tags I'm seeing for sale are nothing special. The most significant one I saw was a 383 RT Challenger.

I was just curious if I was missing something here. It sounds a lot like the Ty beanie baby phenominon to me.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016 - 12:03:40 AM »
I like hanging tags on my garage wall.  However I've not paid much for any of them.
I'll gladly pay 20 for any tag available that's mopar. But that's about it.

I don't get why people ask hundreds of dollars for them. 
They are just hoping to have found a "rare" cars tag.  but very few are actually rare. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016 - 12:07:42 AM »
as long as someone is willing to buy them, there will be sellers..  :bigsmile:
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016 - 09:59:49 AM »
, I think scrap yards are required to keep records on the cars they destroy so you'd think there are records in some insurance database showing the car was destroyed.

Correct! At least in the states I've done business in.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl