Author Topic: Custom shaker trim ring  (Read 3682 times)

Offline leanburn

Re: Custom shaker trim ring
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016 - 08:59:58 AM »
just breathing through the shaker will cost you HP , 8 hp is not worth the hassle , if you want the power then a Trans Am hood would be better

I've always wondered this, do you how much power loss? I know it depends on how much you have in the first place but there must be some comparisons. 

Offline 70CUDA4SPEED

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016 - 09:17:18 AM »
It looks crazy when the bubble sits to high, I lowered my own yesterday it was just so it touched the trimring, throw out the old A/C compressor and replaced it with a Sanden Unit and a OEM baseplate now it looks so much better.

Offline Cudacat

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016 - 03:41:43 PM »
Well I'm always interested in adding a few ponies, let's hear what tricks you got up your sleeve that I haven't already done.
I'd be glad to but don't know what you have done already.

Offline leanburn

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016 - 01:02:43 PM »
Ok,  416 with ported eddies, tti's, port matched rpm intake,hydraulic roller, dyno' at 530hp and 550 torque, fast ez efi, 518 auto, 3:91 gears.
 Will be going to different set of heads eventually but not in the budget yet.  Thinking about going to a single plane this winter but undecided. Running mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust but might go to 3" this winter as well.
 Tried several electric fans but gave up, running heavy duty clutch fan.

Offline Cudacat

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016 - 09:38:40 PM »
It seems you have it covered.  Other than forced induction or nitrous which are not easy or cheap. If you can get 8HP from a carb. spacer that is great. I do also have a stroker small block, a 408 in another car.  My builder insisted on using Brodix B1 heads. A mild roller cam about 240 degrees.  It made about the same power as yours.  The torque peak was at 3900 rpm.  A really nice street engine.

Offline leanburn

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016 - 09:42:54 PM »
Does anybody know if the bubbles for the new challengers are smaller than the old ones? I looked at some pics and they look smaller but can't really tell. I'm wondering if a person could by the bubble seperate and build a baseplate. Might even be able to get a bigger filter in there in the process .
 I expierimented at the track today. 2 tenths slower with the shaker vs an open K&n filter . I went back to the shaker after I gutted the doors and grills but still 2 tenths slower. I'm thinking the small 12x2" filter might be the culprit.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016 - 10:18:07 PM »
Does anybody know if the bubbles for the new challengers are smaller than the old ones? I looked at some pics and they look smaller but can't really tell. I'm wondering if a person could by the bubble seperate and build a baseplate. Might even be able to get a bigger filter in there in the process .
 I expierimented at the track today. 2 tenths slower with the shaker vs an open K&n filter . I went back to the shaker after I gutted the doors and grills but still 2 tenths slower. I'm thinking the small 12x2" filter might be the culprit.

I've driven the Hemi without the Shaker and air cleaner on and it was like night & day.
The engine was way more responsive thru the RPM's

My friend almost turned white as a ghost.

I estimate it could've been a 30-50 HP gain when it was off.

Every engine is different so results will vary of course.
Mike, Fremont, CA.