Do you need to run transmission fluid through radiator?

Author Topic: Do you need to run transmission fluid through radiator?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Do you need to run transmission fluid through radiator?
« on: June 19, 2005 - 09:10:27 AM »
Do you really need to run the transmission fluid through the radiator to cool it?  I replaced the radiator in my Ford Taurus and now I can’t get it to stop leaking around the bottom transmission line fitting.  The replacement radiator is a universal model that requires an adapter to connect the transmission line.  I have taken this thing in and out 3 times, replaced the o-ring, used Teflon tape, and now I give up!

I’m thinking of rerouting transmission fluid through an external add-on finned cooler and bypassing the radiator.

Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Do you need to run transmission fluid through radiator?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005 - 10:25:05 AM »
Is there any reason not to do this? Thanks
'

No

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005 - 11:01:57 AM »
no reason except for temperature. think about it,  with using the radiator and the surface area of the radiator (26 x 30=780 sq inch of surface area and it barely does the job now) and you want to run the tranny thru a 10 X 20 =200 sq inch  aux cooler) you will be replacing the tranny in a couple of weeks.

( the numbers I used are arbitrary numbers but you get  the idea )

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005 - 11:56:48 AM »
Outlaw is see your point, but:

This piece of crap looks like the only portion that cools the transmission fluid is the small 2x14 side section.  Which by the way is a plastic piece somehow clipped to the aluminum center section.

I cleaned everything off and took another look, the fluid is leaking from internal somewhere behind the plastic.

What I didn't mention originally is this is the 2nd replacement radiator, 1st one lasted 1yr, the 2nd only 6 months!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005 - 03:04:24 AM »
oil to water is far more efficient at cooling th etranny fluid/oil
as long as you run a large cooler you will be fine

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline KelllysCuda

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005 - 06:52:55 AM »
Correct me if I,m wrong but, on a daily driver , I was told that it is preferable to have the trans cooler through the rad to help warm the trans in cooler temperatures     :outtahere:
Kelly

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005 - 06:00:36 PM »
Correct me if I,m wrong but, on a daily driver , I was told that it is preferable to have the trans cooler through the rad to help warm the trans in cooler temperatures :outtahere:

Boy that would make things simplier,  I'm going to change this stupid thing again this weekend.  What the hell, it's only another 3-4hrs of my life, not to mention the scraped knuckles!