Author Topic: 71 Cuda I've been working on  (Read 6109 times)

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: 71 Cuda I've been working on
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016 - 10:43:28 AM »
just received my TANKS efi tank, nice unit, however I do not know it would be great for a real high HP car, especially one that going to be raced. They list pumps to support like 1000HP but they are the same setup as the 400HP and I believe still have a 1/4 NPT outlet. My  :2cents: is that if you are going through all the effort and expense to build this car, I would spend the money on commensurate supporting devices and accessories. If this was just a driver that would be one thing, but if the owner is going to  beat on the car and has deep enough pockets for a 572, better spend the money on a quality fuel system.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016 - 11:28:39 AM »
I think Greg may have missed some info about available pumps, they sell optional drop in pumps that will support over 900 HP  But whats done is done, I'm sure that way will work great just a lot of extra work & not as polished looking...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016 - 11:49:20 AM »
I think Greg may have missed some info about available pumps, they sell optional drop in pumps that will support over 900 HP  But whats done is done, I'm sure that way will work great just a lot of extra work & not as polished looking...

:iagree: I just bought one with their largest pump. Going to run a 700hp FAST EFI 572 Hemi.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016 - 12:30:24 PM »
The Aeromotive 450 supports 950HP. I took the -10 fuel line out that we used for the carbs. We are now running -8 feed and -6 return lines. So far so good, it's an animal. Book some dyno time to zero in the advance curve and we'll see what we have. The car feels stronger. I'm going to order some Cal Tracs for him but I'll talk to him tomorrow and insist on installing subframe connectors before doing anything to make the car hook up below 80MPH.

Sheldon

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016 - 01:50:38 PM »
but I'll talk to him tomorrow and insist on installing subframe connectors before doing anything to make the car hook up below 80MPH.

Sheldon

Good call
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline ogopogo

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016 - 02:59:08 AM »
hey,i remember this cuda,took my dad along on the road trip (15+ yrs ago?) to pick up this one,we showed up at cascade border crossing to bring it into canada at 11;55 pm(5 minutes before closing time) after driving through a whiteout blizzard(hell) and the border people were very,very ,very unhappy,and unpleasant about it....my poor dad!!

some fun facts.......the #s engine popped up for this car a couple yrs later in spokane wa,and i can hardly blame Greg for hemi powering the cuda because a 340 auto e body is brutally lame,true story!
Gregs bud deanno took my dad for a rip in this car last summer with the 572 in it and my dad is still raving about it,the thing is nuts!!

Offline BobBejeski

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016 - 09:43:20 AM »
This project is very similar to what I want to do to my 71 340 Cuda.     I cant wait to see some finalized pictures and some stats on the power. 
Looking Good...... :wow:

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016 - 10:32:52 AM »
I'm just going over now to install the Cal tracs on it. The Magnum Force frame connectors are not here yet, it's been 3 weeks since I ordered them. It is scheduled to dyno tomorrow again.
It seems like I've been working on this Cuda and my Challengers for two years straight now.

Sheldon

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016 - 10:14:06 PM »
Nice to have this one running correctly finally. Undy installed the wrong cam in it from the get go. I just finished installing a mild EFI friendly camshaft and it's very nice and tractable now. Undy can't tell us what the cam was but they installed it with no cam button and hacked fine thread bolts into the camshaft instead of the correct coarse thread ones so I found a ground up timing cover and thread bits everywhere from pulled threads. At this point I'd like to tear down the whole engine and see what else is wrong but it hasn't blown up so far so we might just as well run it I guess. That's why I build the engines for my own stuff.

Sheldon

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016 - 10:43:34 PM »
Sheldon, you know Indy doesn't make mistakes... Just ask them....

Glad you've got it sorted out...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016 - 11:08:30 PM »
Ha, ha: You know it! Greg had ordered and paid for the engine before I had a chance to talk to him. Also I had no idea I would be the sucker to make everything right. However there always is satisfaction after you work through everything and get stuff right. One nice thing is that Greg thinks like I do. Get it functioning perfectly first then touch up the paint and buff it, neither one of us is into 15 second show queens. Really for the price he paid for the engine, you could consider it a kit and tear it all down, check everything and reassemble. He is talking about doing a 68 Charger and I think that could be the method to use next time. The only real problem I have is the list of parts was not correct. The cam specs were totally wrong, .040 less lift and bunch more duration than what was listed. He was also told the valvesprings were good for a 750 lift cam if he wanted to upgrade, however I measured .060 before coil bind at .630. Bottom line is trust no-one and check everything even when they build it for you.

Sheldon