Author Topic: new guy looking for an engine build  (Read 1674 times)

Offline knuckle duster

new guy looking for an engine build
« on: June 20, 2005 - 11:57:02 PM »
first of all,i would like to say hello to everyone!

i just bought a shell this afternoon,and i want to start mapping out a bad ass streetable 340 for my new challenger.i have most of the car,a 727 tranny,and i have no idea what kind of rear end,prob.stock,but it will be upgraded as needed.

i was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for a complete build for my new toy!i dont even have a block yet,so i am on the market for one and a set of heads.i am not looking to spend 12k on a motor,prob.around 4k at the most(hopefully,but we all know how that goes).

this is my FIRST MOPAR,i am dumping my 71 camaro on ebay as we speak,and all the $$ will be helping me towards restoring this much more deserving car,so please help!

thanks!
tim

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
Re: new guy looking for an engine build
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005 - 12:14:01 AM »
If bad ass is the goal then I would start with a 360 (cheaper and easier to find ) then throw a 4 inch crank kit  in it, followed by a set of aluminum heads and the usual hot cam, rollor lifters and rockers, and a single plain manifold and a 850 holley 

combo is good for gobs of torque and around 500 hp--- with some careful horse trading you should be able to do it for $4-6K considering you need everything its not a bad price and should eat about any chebbie or ferd you will come up against on the street

Offline knuckle duster

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005 - 12:51:27 AM »
i heard that the 360 was crap,thats why i didnt consider it

guess not though!what size cam,lifters,etc should i go with?i was actually thinking of a 383 if its within my budget...

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005 - 09:13:57 AM »
Never heard that about the 360. Without running a poll I would bet that is the most popular engine in use on the forum. As for using a 383 , In my opinion the bigger the better but I personally have never seen a 383 that runs as hard as the stroked 360. (Now dont flame me over that ). As for canm selection I'm going to leave that for someone else to pick , as my tastes in cams is a little on the radical side (especially for the street)

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005 - 09:22:25 AM »
years ago i raced 360s when the first w-2s came out.........they provide a cheaper build, more cubic inches and HP for the money........some people maligned them cause they came out in 1974 with a cast crank and lower compression ratio...........but either way you go tune into ebaymotors.com and go to parts and accessories.........put in mopar in as title of what you are looking for and blast off........you will find lots of parts from guys who bought and never used things or decided to go with bigger engines........you can find virtually 80% of the parts you want........then I would go to a reputable cam mfg for a cam and kit.......otherwise you can buy blocks, pistons, cranks and most other things......this for your info

Offline knuckle duster

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005 - 01:14:11 PM »
i am definitely going to have to check them out.i heard the 360 rumor from my uncle who was a gear head back in the early-mid 70's,and thats obviously when the 360 wasnt to well accepted.does anyone have a complete list of parts and #'s for this stroked 360?

and by streetable...i just mean i would PREFER that it doesnt kill at a red light,haha!it can shake the lugs off the tires for all i care,i wanna eat some ricer punk ass,or smoke a damn mustang so bad they have to shoot that pony!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005 - 12:24:09 AM »
all 360 s got a bad rap due to them only being built with low compression & cast cranks
 the reality is the 360 makes more torque than the 383 & the crank is strong even being cast + they are easy to get 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Johnny Cuda

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005 - 05:25:34 PM »
I just pulled a 71 340 out of my Cuda, It's got 3000 miles on a rebuild with a mild cam, 770 Holley Street Avenger Carb, Edelbrock 340 Torker Intake, ported heads, 7qt oil pan. Very fast!! I bought my 74 Cuda with it 6 months ago. I decided I wanted to put the more correct 360 in my car and recently decided to sell the 340. I'm asking $2,500 for it. Let me know if your interested. :driving:

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005 - 05:35:10 PM »
I have a 360 almost ready to go,  0 miles located in Idaho, u pay shipping  truck freight.

funny Im looking for $4000.00  and you get a motor almost ready to run  plus comes with all of these goodies

360 forged 9.0:1 .030 moly rings hv oil/fuel/water pump, 7 qt pan, 484 284 purple shaft, rpm air gap, 750 mech demon, 14x4 k&n, rebuilt 2.02 1.60 J heads, cloyse chain   stock rods and crank, all Arp bolts and or studs. mopar windage tray, holley fuel preasure regulator, headman headers, mopar chrome box, mopar hp coil, choke for demon, new motor mounts, prof gone through 727 with 35years+ years of exp. didnt not require a rebuild low miles all new seals.  , new pinion snubber,   lots more. motor is fully balanced, rebuilt. new lifter, push rods. hoses. remote oil cooler.lokar cable, mini starter,hoses, belts.  if your interested email me  challenger73stud@yahoo.com

needs intake machined, I havent because might put on some 308 heads but didn't, needs rockers and head gaskets/intake/hardened oil pump shaft   thats about it.           around $5500 invested
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005 - 05:39:19 PM »
iv got a 360 il sell cheap!! if your interested!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!