Author Topic: Body work price quote??  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Raw Untamed

Re: Body work price quote??
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016 - 11:20:14 AM »
 :popcorn:
Joey

71 Challenger

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016 - 11:59:25 AM »
Was the car completely stripped to bare metal and painted underneath as well as inside and out ? If so, you got a really good deal !

Alan I wish!   :lol:     The complete outside, engine, and trunk compartment was stripped to bare metal.  The inside and underneath was not.  There was no plan to do the inside because it was relatively clean (more dirty then rusty, the ceiling has some light surface rust) and not wanting to spend money there since it was not going to be seen. They were originally going to clean the underside and coat with undercoating but due to the front fenders and some other areas needing some extra attention it chewed into the funds to do the bottom.   :(   
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline battrm

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016 - 06:12:06 PM »
I am in the south prices not near as high as you guys are quoiting.   Restoration shops charge a lot
Of money but most people find an individual to paint their car.   Paint supplies can run all over the
Place depending on the quality and brand you use.  Guys I know use southern polyurethane epoxy's
Primes and clear and use ppg base coat. 

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016 - 10:32:22 PM »
Ok, now you guys are scaring me.  :scared:  :22yikes:  I nearly have the car to the point where all I will have left to do is paint. I agree with loco340cuda in not painting the areas that aren't seen. The money saved from not painting behind the back seat, etc can go toward my next car.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016 - 11:53:09 PM »
I agree with Anlauto. I just priced the material to paint my F8 Challenger. 6L of base 6L of clear 2L of sealer $4,000CDN with tax. This does not count the $4,000 + I already spent on primers, sand paper and fillers. Keep in mine that these are all top of the line products and Canadian prices.
H2, I don't know who's advising you about materials, but 6L of base and clear each, reduces to commonly 12L of sprayable product each and you could paint your car and mine and possibly Murray's as well with that much paint- not to mention ending up with 1/4" of clear applied. A couple of years ago we did son Jim's Prelude complete and had good coverage with 3L of base- and had paint left over. The cars are not dissimilar in size. I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest here or dissing anyone else's efforts, so I'll say go ahead and apply 12L of base and then clear @ approximately $300 per litre/$1200 per gallon and let us know how it all turns out.  :cheers:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016 - 07:41:40 AM »
Jimynick - Your friend and mine just charged me $4302.50 plus tax for materials on the purple Challenger I just got back from them. Their invoice has a complete break down. Another $12100.00 labour plus tax.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016 - 08:41:32 AM »
Well. we are all speculating values and perception as no pictures have been posted of said car in question.
I think we all can agree that the BALL PARK value should be around 15-30K + or - for the Canadian dollar.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016 - 10:28:21 AM »
Well. we are all speculating values and perception as no pictures have been posted of said car in question.
I think we all can agree that the BALL PARK value should be around 15-30K + or - for the Canadian dollar.

AS DELIVERED......AS RETURNED....about $17K CDN total
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016 - 10:29:59 AM »
....and that's me getting a good deal.... :2thumbs: Would be over $20K for anybody else... :2cents:

Offline moprr

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016 - 01:51:34 PM »
Just a question for you Alan, do they dismantle the whole car again and paint the jambs and behind the hinges or do the do the body work and spray.  Thanks

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016 - 03:38:49 PM »
Just a question for you Alan, do they dismantle the whole car again and paint the jambs and behind the hinges or do the do the body work and spray.  Thanks

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: Yes of course they're taken apart one hundred percent and each panel is prepped and painted on both sides.... :2thumbs:

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016 - 11:28:15 PM »
Alan, at the average door rate of $60/hr and the material being billed separately, the figure you quote averages out to 201 hrs- for a car that requires no metal work. WTF? To put it another way, some guy spent 5 weeks to peel it and paint it and reassemble the panels? Damn, maybe I'd better get back in the trade. Now you know why we used to tease him and call him Max-imum. LOL  :cheers:

Offline ekW

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016 - 12:03:47 AM »
I replaced most of the floor , quarters,  1 rear frame rail , some firewall... the metal work was over 25 k. but, I did get exact spot welds  ! the paint job runs 12-15 k . if you are getting an absolute straight and dead on # 1 paint job, there are seam sealers to apply , primers , guide priming , gaps to weld and grind , panels to line up , correct details for priming the bottom of the car , and so on ..... that's $ 40,000.00 [ us.] for  paint and body. it was worth every penny it cost  [ if you choose to  go to that level ] to get it done. the up side is , you will likely never replace a rusted panel again and  any future restoration will already have a perfect  rust free = flat- straight-body and should be an easier less expensive restoration .  :2cents:

Offline 70CudaProstreet

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016 - 12:34:40 PM »
I feel better about what I paid for my car now lol.I stripped the old 80's panel graphics off my car and took it to bare metal with an old body guy.With me helping he charged me $200.We used stripper,and masked all seams to keep it out of the areas we didn't want it to seep into.Then I took it to a local shop around here were they replaced lower quarters,rockers,both A pillars,the door hinge mounting area on the driver side that we discovered once the doors were pulled,some small areas on the roof,saved the factory fenders,fixed where the lift off  six pack hood mounted with Zeus fasteners and some misc areas around the taillight panel.Then had all the body work done,blocking ect,then sprayed the car in 2014 Plum Crazy Pearl Coat with blackout AAR treatment.The whole job,including me buying all the seam sealers,weld through primer on all areas,AMD sheet metal,Year One AAR hood and paint materials came in right around 13k.They told me 3 months,but had it around 6.I did end up buying and installing a spray booth motor for them that went south for about $500 on top of that.I think it came out pretty well,and somewhere on this sight the build is documented.Id post final pics but don't know how lol.There are some areas that I would have liked done a little better like where they opened back up the parking light openings that had been shaved in the 80's, so that the bezels fit more flush,but overall I'm happy with the job.Especially after reading about the average price  :22yikes:   Everybody who sees it from what it was is blown away.
70 Pro Street Cuda
76 Pro Street Plymouth Arrow
2005 Magnum R/T modded
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016 - 12:40:50 PM »
Was the car's underside striped to bare metal, primed and painted ?