71 Cuda Hemi clone/resto mod... sort of, LOL...

Author Topic: 71 Cuda Hemi clone/resto mod... sort of, LOL...  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Amazzen

71 Cuda Hemi clone/resto mod... sort of, LOL...
« on: August 31, 2016 - 09:18:43 PM »
Well I promised to start a build thread long ago and its another “better late than never” promise fulfilled.

I'll start with a few pics and will post more as the story unfolds.

Work on the restoration has been hampered by the consuming perils of building a new home this year (and next the way its going) and other life things that take priority over a silly hobby.

Nonetheless, here’s where I started…

And here's a couple taken recently...

Bought the car in pieces from a gentleman in Tuscon AZ 3 years ago; something no one really should do, but I’m still amazed with the completeness of OEM parts that accompanied the shell. Its an original Rallye red, black bucket seat interior, black vinyl top car. Came with numbers matching 340, 4 speed transmission and rear end. (and a build sheet!)

It was a power hood, dual exhaust tip car and very plain Jane after that… No “power” anything!

No worries, my passion is to bring these back to life NOT drive them or sell them.

So as with every restoration… we needed a plan; I’ve done the purist of restorations to the wildest of resto-mods and this would be a little different.

The Plan:

“two parallel paths”

Build the car as original and build a quasi Hemi Clone shaker hood car with a twist. Build the Hemi clone in a way that it could quickly revert back to its OEM state without a trace of the Hemi cloning; And of course, without any major restorative work including but not limited to… painting.

So it would be necessary to:

Paint the original hood and second set of rear side marker bezels.

Use different fuel lines and sending unit (without drilling any extra fastening points)

Use retrofit motor mounts on the 340 K-frame.

Mount and ground the electronic module to underside of shaker hood plate.

Replace the 2 speed wiper motor.

Use a Hemi Exhaust system.

And source a 426 engine, hemi 4speed and drive shaft.

Simple… right?!?

I’ll try and recap some progress from the beginning in subsequent posts and please be patient ‘cause you now know how busy and slow I am.  :naughty:

For now, I simply wanted to introduce the build and share something a little different with you.

Thanks for having me here,

Paul
69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Challenger in NC

Re: 71 Cuda Hemi clone/resto mod... sort of, LOL...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016 - 12:46:14 PM »
Great car Paul, it looks like you've made a lot of progress.

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016 - 06:02:15 AM »
Thank you, a little slower than I would like but still going in the right direction.

Here's another of "sunning the Billboard stripes"...

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Challenger in NC

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016 - 07:20:02 PM »
 :ylsuper:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016 - 10:04:09 PM »
What are your plans on the Hemi?

I'm hearing it's getting hard to get the Hemi blocks recently.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016 - 08:10:09 PM »
What are your plans on the Hemi?

I'm hearing it's getting hard to get the Hemi blocks recently.

Which ones? Vintage or new Mopar?

Fortunately I had one of the first 426's Chrysler retooled in the 90's. John Arruza assembled an engine with a crossram intake for my 69 Charger and eventually had it de-tuned to make it a little more streetable. (I was getting to old for the lumpy cam scene).
Found an original intake and repro air cleaner base for the 2 Comp Carter 4bbls and it all fit nicely under the hood. This car was my first restoration and resto-mod...

A few years ago, I decided to replace the Hemi with a 440 six pack (I like it better for cruising and that they never put 440 six packs into Chargers that year). Of course it also helped that I contemplating a hemi clone for a future Mopar project.

I was pleasantly surprised that the exhaust manifolds were the numbers I needed for the Cuda build.

This is the hemi-4 spd I managed to find and get rebuilt... can someone identify what year and application this would have been for?

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016 - 08:34:48 PM »
Original 340 and 4 speed for car...

Car was in pieces, but mostly all there.

It was an Arizona car... NOT rust free however, but not that bad...

Soon after I brought the car home, I completed the balance of tear down and sent it to the media blaster for a walnut shell treatment and epoxy primer sealer.

Needed "some" new metal - 4 spd tunnel, left front floor pan, trunk floor, tail light panel and 2 lower 1/4 panel sections.

More to follow...

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline 73440

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016 - 08:59:06 PM »
Looks like the trans is from a 1970 B body 426 Hemi or 440

Part # 3410683    The 676 is the number that designates what car it was originally installed in.
67 440
72 413 / 727
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 420, 520 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016 - 10:34:40 PM »
Looks like the trans is from a 1970 B body 426 Hemi or 440

Part # 3410683    The 676 is the number that designates what car it was originally installed in.

Thank you... that should help with finding the correct shifter rods! Bought an aftermarket set , but they don't line up (too many bends). I thought I might need the "straighter" upper rods that I see on many B Body applications, so I'll give that a try.  :thumbsup:

Once I button up the shifter, the bottom side is pretty much complete.

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016 - 10:42:25 PM »

Another question... is there something that goes into this notch on the left side of the weatherstrip gutter???

I'm hoping to install the trunk weatherstrip next and I've seen a few pics with something (a plastic clip of sorts maybe) in this area, but can't seem to find any specific info anywhere.

Thanks...

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016 - 03:30:54 AM »
Getting off my rear end to get on the rear end...

Weatherstripping, latch, lock, tail lights and panel surround molding accomplished.

From now on, I'm going to practice dusting only during "visiting hours"...  ;)

Finally got some time to work on the car and even though it was just a few hours, it was great therapy. I rebuilt the steering column on the weekend and it was a disaster with all the visitor interruptions... I think I assembled and ripped it apart 6 flippin' times!

Between the wife, 3 kids, Dad and about 10 drop-ins Sunday... it was a mistake to think I could work quietly on the Cuda; However, this Monday evening between 5pm to 8:30pm was bliss! Okay, I still had to answer the phone a few times... but almost perfect  :2thumbs:

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Challenger in NC

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016 - 12:31:18 PM »
Working on the car usually is a good outlet......except when the car decides to be difficult. Looks like you have a great place to work on it.

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016 - 10:16:54 PM »
Working on the car usually is a good outlet......except when the car decides to be difficult. Looks like you have a great place to work on it.

I hear you on the difficult car frustration, but my pet peeve continues to be interruptions.

My Dad use to own a garage a body shop in Toronto from 1967 to Early 80's so its kind of in my blood. Difference is that its just a hobby now, although we're more serious about working on these old cars more than ever.

I'm blessed to have a great shop to work in, my Dad still with me and a wife that lets me do all this crazy stuff.  :woo:

This my house garage in AZ (don't do too much resto work there)...

And here's a pic of the shop back in Canada...

1/2 work shop and 1/2 "showroom". The repair side is pretty decked out with 3 lifts and all the tools a garage equipment including a paint booth!

Only thing that needs to leave the shop (outsourced) is internal engine or transmission rebuilding. I could use a few more hours in a day, but we're fairly self-sufficient otherwise.

This Cuda resto started 3 years ago, so even though we have the means... its truly a part time gig.

Here's the latest in the rear:

Not much different than the last rear pic other than the license frame? Not quite - I had to replace the right tail light frame as one stub hole broke on me while I was installing it. You know the drill... locate, buy, wait for shipment, refurbish and re-install.  :pulling hair:

Shaker test fit looks okay... I used Schumacher swap mounts on my 340 K Frame (I do have a factory intake manifold however).

Also hid th electronic module under the adapter plate:

Refurbished the original steering wheel (although I had a rim blow wheel refurbished to install for now)

And a Rallye Dash of course!  :grinyes:

Also got the window regulators in this weekend - now to wait for some door glass rollers, etc.

Enjoy...  :canada:
69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline Amazzen

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016 - 01:07:34 PM »
Can someone please tell me if this trunk divider jute pad is OEM??? And if so, how was it attached (tape)? It came with the car and its the correct size, but haven't seen anything on the web to confirm.

Thanks,

Paul

69 Charger R/T
69 Daytona SE
70 AAR
70 T/A
70 Charger R/T
71 GTX
71 Cuda

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016 - 06:15:02 PM »
Can someone please tell me if this trunk divider jute pad is OEM??? And if so, how was it attached (tape)? It came with the car and its the correct size, but haven't seen anything on the web to confirm.

Thanks,

Paul

Not at all original....probably better then the cardboard that was originally there :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com