Author Topic: Kick panels what do recommend  (Read 1886 times)

Offline EV270

Kick panels what do recommend
« on: August 31, 2016 - 09:57:18 PM »
Hello everyone. New guy here. I recently took delivery of a FRESHLY RESTORED  :swear: 1970 Challenger. I'm a little disappointed  with the RESTORATION. To the point. I took off the kick panel on one side to take a look at a sticky lite switch plunger. Decided to pull off insulation and sound barrier. Lots of surface rust on the inside body. What would you guys use to inhibit this. a PRO15 product, rustoleum, or other. I guess I want to stop the rust mostly will protecting existing sheetmetal. I don't want to pull interior . I purchased this Car without looking at it in person.Three states away..My fault. I'm not going to contact seller , I simply see no point. That checks been cashed. Thanks guys.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Kick panels what do recommend
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016 - 11:12:31 PM »
Try posting a pic so we can see how bad it is. I do not like POR-15. Make sure to have your camera on its lowest setting so the file size stays small enough to post.

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016 - 08:39:37 AM »
Agreed, a picture would help greatly. Might I also suggest rust encapsulator from Eastwood in the aresol can.

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016 - 03:14:17 PM »
 :useless:

Pics would help.

:2cents: If is what I think it might be (surface rust, no to light pitting), then I'd suggest using a phosphoric based metal wash (ex: Ospho), scotchbright pads, and a lot of elbow grease.  Follow that up with some good paint. Get rid of the rust as best as you can, it will only come back to haunt you later.
- Jerry

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016 - 03:54:15 PM »
Sorry to hear that. If it's got rust there, you might wanna look in other places also, did you check the trunk floor, inside floor pans?
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline EV270

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016 - 04:47:16 PM »
 The car is presentable kind of. All and all the body  is in really nice shape kind of.  Trunk pan is newer . He just cut corners to flip the car. The kick panel area just has surface rust , flakey not a deep penetrated rust . But I'm aware it won't go away on its own. So I'm looking for a simple steps to at least control it and inhibit it. My concern is deep down in the hollow area between the inside and outside of car down on the floor area ( hope I described this correctly to understand ) just spray bomb it with a rust retardant or petroleum product. Thanks guys.

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016 - 06:45:03 PM »
             I've been using OSPHO for many years.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331957036132?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Offline glovemeister

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016 - 01:06:26 AM »
Do you guys use water to neutralize surface, after using Ospho as a surface rust removal tool?
1971 Challenger RT

Offline battrm

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016 - 06:21:24 PM »
I would wet sand it with phosphoric acid and let is set over night.  Then come back next day and
Spray with phosphoric acid and scuff it with scotch bright pad for about 2 minutes and then rinse
With water and dry with towels.  Now you have converted rust and it's ready to apply appoxy
Primer or por-15.  Buy phosphoric acid from lowes or Home Depot  it's the same stuff as what
Is sold at paint supply stores but cost less.

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016 - 07:33:33 PM »
RE the phosphoric acid from Lowes/HD - check the concentration as it may be a bit high.  I'd suggest making some into lower concentration(s) as the out of bottle concentration may be a bit aggressive if applied directly to metal - DAMHIK.  Do not forget to always add acid to water, wear PPE, etc.
- Jerry