1971 Challenger Convertible Crash

Author Topic: 1971 Challenger Convertible Crash  (Read 8390 times)

Offline Wrencher

• 73 Plain Jane 318 Auto Project
1971 Challenger Convertible Crash
« on: June 23, 2005 - 09:50:30 AM »
Tampa, Florida DJ Mason Dixon crashed his car near my house this week.  Here's the pic and article.  Wonder what will happen to the car?

Dixon, 55, whose real name is Jimmie Crawford, was critically injured Saturday after leaving a Father's Day promotional event in northwest Hillsborough County.

He was traveling on S Mobley Road just west of Gunn Highway around noon when 19-year-old Nydia Davila lost control of her 2001 Toyota SUV and veered into oncoming traffic. She hit Dixon, barely missing him head-on, he said.

Dixon said he saw Davila's SUV "bouncing" up and down along the road. He said Mobley Road has deteriorated shoulders and potholes that have caused his own daughters to blow out car tires while driving on it.

As Davila's vehicle got closer, Dixon said, he hit his accelerator to try to get out of her way.

"The first thing that went through my head is she could get out of control," said Dixon, who is a morning DJ and program director at WRBQ-FM 104.7. "If I hadn't done that, she might have killed me. Not that it was her fault."

Davila wasn't seriously injured. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office charged her with careless driving.
"I got a lot of healing to do," Dixon said. "I think I'm going to take as much time as I can and do it right."

Then maybe he'll look for another 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible.

Dixon said there were only 2,000 of that model made, and he had been looking for one for years. He finally found that one a couple of months ago. And he had just had new air conditioning put in on Friday.

"I'll have to find me another one now, I guess."

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
Re: 1971 Challenger Convertible Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005 - 09:55:41 AM »
 :cry: I hope he is doing better

FY1

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005 - 09:58:46 AM »
He is recovering nicely and intends to be broadcasting again soon according to today's paper.  He had his spleen removed and his lung reinflated along with several broken bones.

The front of the suv caught the Challenger at the rear post of the left door and tore the rear section of the car away from the rest of the car.

It was a miracle he wasn't killed.   :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005 - 10:02:04 AM by Wrencher »

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005 - 10:15:05 AM »
:o  W My thoughts are with all involved. Mason's had several of his cars in magazines over the years and i'm sure this was as nice as any.

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005 - 12:19:38 PM »

:o :o :o Man that sucks!!!!!!! I don't know which is worse? That car or one from cars in barns?  :'(
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005 - 12:37:41 PM »
I'm not blamming anyone for this accident and I feel bad for both parties, but SUV's IMO are down right dangerous. It seems not a day goes by on the news that a teenager or an adult loses control of there SUV and rolls it, or someone gets killed by one.
Down here in south Florida they are everywhere, and people drive then like they think there driving a sports car.
Hope the people in this accident are recovering well.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005 - 12:54:33 PM »
Wow lucky no one was killed!!  Hope everyone recovers OK!  That poor chally.   :cry:   :cry:   :cry:

Offline Wrencher

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005 - 01:00:52 PM »
Down here in south Florida they are everywhere, and people drive then like they think there driving a sports car.
Hope the people in this accident are recovering well.

It was just on the news yesterday that a 1996 Ford Exploder had a tire blow out on I-4 and tumbled off an overpass.  1 fatality.
High center of gravity + high speed + distracted drivers = accidents.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005 - 01:02:23 PM by Wrencher »

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005 - 02:28:47 PM »
you can tell that would have been a bueatiful car brfore the accident
this is one of the reasons i dislike suv's
im not saying that this was the case here, but when people drive them they think their bulletproof
they buy them because they think itwill minimise damage in a crash, the truth is, they dont minimise damage, just transfer it onto the other car

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005 - 04:23:26 PM »
THAT SUX!  Prayers for a speedy and full recovery (incl. getting another Challenger)
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Winston

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005 - 09:21:00 PM »
Wow, I am glad he is recovering well.  It seems like he has taken it all very well.  It sounds like he has a lot of compassion for the girl who almost took his life.  Hopefully, she didn't veer off the road due to dialing on a cell phone or fiddling with cd's.   I guess the bottom line is all parties are safe in their home, but wow, what a shame. 

Y'all are right...I have an '01 Prelude and an '01 Explorer, and I drive them completely different from one another. Their handling and responsiveness are night and day from each other, and I'd much rather be driving the 'Lude when I have to react fast to something.  It grabs the road really well, and with the low center of gravity, I trust the car is gonna do what I expect it to do when split seconds count.  Not so in the Explorer.  A lot of people feel invincible when they're sitting up high in something big, and it leads them into a false sense of security that can really get you (and others) into trouble.

Wishing Mr. Dixon a speedy recovery!

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005 - 09:56:27 PM »
good to hear he's going to be ok

that car is fixable ;D                  "my father's a T.V. repair man, he's got an awesome ste of tools"

can anyone name the movie?
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline moparbowhunter

• MOPARS RULE AND ALL OTHERS DROOOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005 - 10:12:39 PM »
good to hear he's going to be ok

that car is fixable ;D "my father's a T.V. repair man, he's got an awesome ste of tools"

can anyone name the movie?
Fast Times At Ridgemont High   :beer: a true classic!!!!!
70 Barracuda

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005 - 03:12:40 AM »
 You should try to buy the car from the insurance co, so they don't crush it with all the good pieces intact Wrencher !
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005 - 03:33:23 AM »
I want to know how fast the girl was going, as it would take alot of force to rip an old steel car in half like that....