Author Topic: 1970 Cuda AMD rubber bumpers, any fitment problems?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline migsBIG

• I'm a llama!
1970 Cuda AMD rubber bumpers, any fitment problems?
« on: October 05, 2016 - 02:41:04 AM »
I have a pair of the now discontinued AMD 1970 'CUDA elastomeric rubber bumpers. We are starting to get ready for paint and a friend of mine told me these had major issues, thus why they were discontinued. My car is more of a street/weekend cruiser car so I'm not worried about concourse looking bumper, just something that looks nice. Has anyone heard anything or had any problems with a set the tried to install?

Offline djw383

Re: 1970 Cuda AMD rubber bumpers, any fitment problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016 - 08:58:53 AM »
Test fit them before paint....

Offline js29no

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016 - 10:42:03 AM »
Test fit them before paint....

:iagree:

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016 - 11:11:26 AM »
I have an AMD front bumper on my Cuda.  I bought one of the last ones available about 2 years ago.  I bought it from Classic Industries with a discount code and got a really good deal on it.  When I received it I opened the box and checked it out and it looked good from an eyeballing it point of view.  I then closed up the box and put it in the attic where it sat for about a year.

After a year I finally got the car to the body shop and a couple of weeks later I brought them the bumper so they could do a test fit.  We opened up the box and the bumper on one end was all distorted.  We mocked it up on the car and it was a mess, I was literally sick to my stomach at that point.  The thoughts that were going thru my head were.... great, I'm now out $600+ on this bumper and I will have to use a chrome bumper on an original rubber bumper car.  What made it worse was one of the body guys was like I'm not sure we are going to be able to use the bumper.  I left the shop depressed.   :crying:

After about a week I went back down to the shop to check out the progress and the car was sitting there with the front end all on including the rubber bumper and it looked awesome, even in all primer.  The body guys said it took them many hours to get the front clip adjusted and to work the bumper over to get it to fit properly but they got it.

So from my experience I would say these bumpers do have some issues but can be used.  I still don't understand what happened to the bumper (why/how it got distorted) from the time I closed the box when I first got it to the time I opened it up a year later.  The bumper was not stored at an angle that would not have caused the distortion that happened.  Now that I read this post I wonder if this is what you heard.

Anyway as mentioned above the story has a happy ending and the bumper is on the car and looks good.  I have attached a picture so you can see how it turned out.  I apologize for the angle (doesn't do the car justice) but it is the best picture I could get in the cramped garage.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016 - 12:58:40 PM »
This is an AMD as well: No major problems but test fit it for sure.

Sheldon

Offline migsBIG

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016 - 03:34:49 PM »
Thanks guys, that was the info I was looking for. Your cars look great, too. My 1970' project with be started soon and done by my sponsors whom send me to SEMA each year. Hope folks like raft rods, cause it's gonna be a fun build.

Offline Roadrunner420

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016 - 01:01:38 AM »
[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/dd7c674f42629d600d84a4b262a4a740.png[/IMG I have one of the last AMD rear bumpers.   It looked great,  but after painting and mounting it.   It fits like crap on the passenger side.  It has lots of overhang and doesn't match up to the quarter panel like a factory one.   Oh well I'm stuck with it-at least it's not super noticeable.   My Gene Gregory Front fits amazing I wish I would have bought both from him.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016 - 09:42:33 AM »
[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161013/dd7c674f42629d600d84a4b262a4a740.png[/IMG I have one of the last AMD rear bumpers.   It looked great,  but after painting and mounting it.   It fits like crap on the passenger side.  It has lots of overhang and doesn't match up to the quarter panel like a factory one.   Oh well I'm stuck with it-at least it's not super noticeable.   My Gene Gregory Front fits amazing I wish I would have bought both from him.

You sure you don't have the manufacturers flip flopped? Cause that's exactly how my buddies Gene Gregory bumper fit & it makes sense that it would since he uses a stock steel bumper core & bonds the rubber to it so the thing starts off to big.... On my buddies we wound up cutting both ends off, removing about 3/8" off each end & welded the ends back on.. Then repairing the rubber coating....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016 - 10:55:01 AM »
Yikes.

Sheldon

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016 - 11:09:56 AM »
Yikes.

Sheldon

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do... Trust me, after giving Gene Gregory lotsa $$$ it wasn't easy to take a chop saw to the bumper... Bit it allowed the thing to fit perfectly....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Roadrunner420

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016 - 12:22:37 PM »
Nope no mix up in vendors AMD rear.  If I end up having to re-paint it at some point I might cut off the ends and reweld.  Sounds like nobody makes them close to factory