Author Topic: another subframe connector question  (Read 4268 times)

Offline soundcontrol

Re: another subframe connector question
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016 - 07:20:47 AM »
I used the US Cartool SFCs too.  If you're considering them, take a look at the latest issue of Mopar Muscle (Jan 2017- go figure).  There's an article in it about adding a Hemi to a B Body, which includes discussion about installing the US Cartool SFCs.   The unique part of this installation is the use of 3M structural adhesive to bond the SFC and torque boxes to the floorpan.   The adhesive route avoids the risk of burning through the relatively thinner floorpan metal.   Mig welding is still used to tie the stiffeners to the heavier gauge structural components.  I have no idea of it this is really a better route, but it's definitely a little different path.

This article showed up about 3 months too late for me as I went the fully welded and occasional burn-through route.

Good luck with your choice.

Interesting! I guess if they use it to glue airplanes together, it will work fine on the floorpans. Gotta read that article.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline larry4406

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016 - 07:30:59 AM »
I used us cartool on my build, pictures in my build thread, I think they are great.  I had to do a little trimming and fitment work but I think they have the best look. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used them as well.  I needed minor grinding to fit, nothing to cry about.

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016 - 09:43:58 AM »

Great feedback and suggestions everyone   thanks!

I feel empowered enough to order the car tool SFC.   Car is still on rotisserie, should help with
my poor welding skills.

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016 - 03:22:53 PM »
If you're going to reinforce them my suggestion would be to weld plates in the channel.
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016 - 04:57:43 PM »
If you're going to reinforce them my suggestion would be to weld plates in the channel.

Wonder if that is really necessary, the weak part of the car is not gonna be the subframe connectors.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016 - 06:30:02 PM »
I'm not an expert on tortional frame stress or deflection. But it makes sense to me.
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016 - 09:07:17 AM »
Hi all,

The SFC arrived yesterday.   I turned the car sideways and started fitting one side.   it is relatively easy to cut and shape using a grinder wheel.   made decent progress considering an hours work.

I do have some big gaps at the front not sure how to handle those.

I need to figure out where to mate at the front? do I just measure parallel to the rocker panel lip?

Offline larry4406

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016 - 10:13:42 AM »
On the front don't block any of your fuel line holes thru the torsion bar cross member. Plan for the emergency brake cable.

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016 - 11:34:46 AM »
I put mine right at the edge of the hole.
/ Ken
topic=108917.new#new

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016 - 01:30:08 PM »
Hi all,

The SFC arrived yesterday.   I turned the car sideways and started fitting one side.   it is relatively easy to cut and shape using a grinder wheel.   made decent progress considering an hours work.

I do have some big gaps at the front not sure how to handle those.

I need to figure out where to mate at the front? do I just measure parallel to the rocker panel lip?

I used the same ones on my Cuda; you can spent a lot of time fitting them depending on how tight you feel you need them. I did fit mine until I got them pretty close (1/8th" of so) and then used my .035 wire in the welder to fill the gap. To your other question in reference to where they go; they pretty much line up, however you could measure from the rocker panel to ensure they are the same. To be honest, I don't think I did as I just lined them up with the existing frame and welded them in.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)