Author Topic: another subframe connector question  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Jocigar

another subframe connector question
« on: October 21, 2016 - 02:11:20 PM »
Hi all,

Its been a while.   planning on getting us car tool connectors; is this still the best weld-in choice out there ?

Also, Has anyone documented the brake cable location measurements?  I have a Bridgeport and thinking of installing a tube as has been done before for cable feed?

Getting my feet wet again so any advise on the process and best source is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline soundcontrol

Re: another subframe connector question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016 - 02:41:25 PM »
Don't know if they are the best, but mine installed pretty easy, very happy with them. Gonna get a second set for my other car later. I welded in a tube for the brakewire, have no exact measurements though.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016 - 04:40:18 PM »
I made my own , cost be $10-$20 in materials . Scroll down to reply #65
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.60
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016 - 06:39:22 PM »
I installed the US Car Tool connectors. In hindsight I would just go ahead and make/buy tubular connectors and get it over with. The laser cut connectors are not the strongest and take quite a bit of effort.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016 - 06:48:31 PM »
Thank you for the replies.  I would go with the make it yourself route, but it's a V code and if I EVER finish it the seamless route would look cleaner.   

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016 - 07:14:13 PM »
I installed the US Car Tool connectors. In hindsight I would just go ahead and make/buy tubular connectors and get it over with. The laser cut connectors are not the strongest and take quite a bit of effort.

:iagree:  I too had the US car tool ones and sold them as it was too much work/time to fit them to the floor boards. The lazer cuts were off quite a bit to fit my floor boards.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 73440

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016 - 08:06:00 PM »
What about doing the tube, and you can make your own floor pan fitted sides by template fitting your exact shapes out of thinner plate welded to the tube as a cover for the seamless look.

Defend the 2nd Amendment. Tap-a-Talk

67 440
72 413 / 727
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 420, 520 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016 - 06:50:18 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  I would go with the make it yourself route, but it's a V code and if I EVER finish it the seamless route would look cleaner.

Hmm, on a V code I would probably do a bolt in, or just welded to the framerail front and back. The US Cartool ones looks great but the floor will show some of it from the inside also, even if you try to fit them as good as possible there is areas you have to push the floor down a bit to weld, so it shows a slight bump from the inside. I never got mine looking like new again. (But I have a very modified G code so its no big deal). Also I the US Cartool's are probably exactly the same but it seems to fit better on some cars than others, so our car are not put together with much precision. Here is pictures, before and after welding.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016 - 06:56:16 AM by soundcontrol »
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016 - 06:52:10 AM »
Hi all,

Its been a while.   planning on getting us car tool connectors; is this still the best weld-in choice out there ?

Also, Has anyone documented the brake cable location measurements?  I have a Bridgeport and thinking of installing a tube as has been done before for cable feed?

Getting my feet wet again so any advise on the process and best source is appreciated.  Thanks!

XV Racing also makes laser cut SFC's
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016 - 09:06:46 AM »
I did 1" x 1 1/2" steel on my Charger. Easy and fits nice and close to the floor pan.

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016 - 04:42:42 PM »
That looks good dfrazz. Clean and simple. I'm leaning towards reinforcing the laser cut SFC's. I believe they would be the strongest and give the appearance of being a factory frame.
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016 - 09:34:49 PM »
I did the laser cut frame connectors.  I rented a plasma cutter to quickly and easily trim the SFC to fit the floor pan.  Once you get them pretty close, tack it in place, then go to town with the welder.  Getting the temp correct and the speed right will certainly help not to burn holes in the floor pan.  Wear good gear so slag doesn't drop down your sleeve. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline 60K T/A

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016 - 06:29:03 AM »
Yea. Ive read about some fitment issues with them. Thats not a big deal.  The floor pans are smathered with heavy under coating. I cant wait to get that stuff off. Looks like a fun job
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

Offline twalker

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016 - 06:58:01 AM »
I used us cartool on my build, pictures in my build thread, I think they are great.  I had to do a little trimming and fitment work but I think they have the best look. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dakota

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016 - 07:09:00 AM »
I used the US Cartool SFCs too.  If you're considering them, take a look at the latest issue of Mopar Muscle (Jan 2017- go figure).  There's an article in it about adding a Hemi to a B Body, which includes discussion about installing the US Cartool SFCs.   The unique part of this installation is the use of 3M structural adhesive to bond the SFC and torque boxes to the floorpan.   The adhesive route avoids the risk of burning through the relatively thinner floorpan metal.   Mig welding is still used to tie the stiffeners to the heavier gauge structural components.  I have no idea of it this is really a better route, but it's definitely a little different path.

This article showed up about 3 months too late for me as I went the fully welded and occasional burn-through route.

Good luck with your choice.