Author Topic: 73 cuda side markers ideas  (Read 4598 times)

Offline nsmall

73 cuda side markers ideas
« on: October 27, 2016 - 03:45:26 AM »
I am considering either shaving or recessing my side markers on my 73 cuda as they stick out.

I heard roseville mopar sells a temptlate to recess the lights for a challenger.  Is there such a kit for a cuda?  I havent been able to connect with David at roseville mopar, and I like side markers, I just want them either flush or shaved.

The car is about to be media blasted and painted so now is the time.

Any suggestions out there as I dont want to spend a ton of money or give my body guy a major project, but I would prefer to make some sort of change.

Thanks!!!  I love this site so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there are any threads that could help me, please send them my way.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: 73 cuda side markers ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016 - 08:56:35 AM »
Starting in 72, Chrysler standardized the side marker lights across the board as a cost savings measure.  Challengers, Cudas, Chargers,  Darts exc...all used the same side markers.  If Roseville sells one for a Challenger, it should fit a Cuda.  I've seen the flush mount 72+ side markers done only once.  I really like it.  Personally, I don't like the look of shaved side markers on these cars.  It just seems like the easy way out.

You could graft on the 70-71 style side marker.  If the car needs fenders and quarters anyway, just put 1970 parts on it.  There is a member on here who put 71 Roadrunner(three piece) side markers on his Challenger.  It really looked cool...so much nicer then shaving the lights. :2cents:  But, at the end of the day, it's your car.  You can do what you want to it.

Offline rhamson

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016 - 10:00:12 AM »
I too hate the pasted on side markers on the '72 and later cars. It looked almost like an afterthought. I might be the one burdar is speaking of. I took just the lenses from a '71 Roadrunner and patched over the stock holes on my '72 Challenger and cut through the three separate sections in the plugged piece. It is a lot of work to do all four but worth it for me. The lens slightly protrudes because of the curvature of the quarter panel.

Offline crash340

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016 - 10:08:58 AM »
Someone does a patch panel for the 70/71 cuda side markers I saw on line somewhere the other day, maybe search patch panel you might find them
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016 - 11:17:28 AM »
BE&A sells them.(PG Classics) Those are probably the ones the OP is talking about that Roseville sells.  I've sever seen a kit to flush mount the 72+ style.  Like I said though, if the car needs quarters and fenders anyway, just start with panels for a 1970 and save yourself a lot of time.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016 - 07:35:37 PM »
Aren't the marker lights higher up to
 the body flare on the 72, 73 & 74. Barracuda.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016 - 07:37:17 PM by AARuFAST »
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016 - 08:07:40 PM »
With a little metal fab, you could counter-sink the original market lights :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 76orangewagon

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016 - 08:36:56 PM »
I used a Hagan's Street Rod flush mount kit on my Duster, not factory but it is an option. They make a square style that looks more like Ma Mopar would have used also.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016 - 08:44:12 PM »
I used a Hagan's Street Rod flush mount kit on my Duster, not factory but it is an option. They make a square style that looks more like Ma Mopar would have used also.

man that looks awesome.

I will have to remember that when I redo my cuda.

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline rhamson

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016 - 09:05:38 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline rhamson

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016 - 09:07:35 AM »
With a little metal fab, you could counter-sink the original market lights :dunno:
I thought about it and tried several remedies but the lens has a angled side and the gap around the lens would look worse that if I never tried at all.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016 - 01:45:56 PM »
I did exactly this on my Cuda; the hardest part is cutting out the area. If you cut where the stamped line is on the fender/QP, the light will not fit because they are beveled (base is wider than the top); however that is a good starting point. It takes some patience and some skill but well worth the effort. All I can really say is be very careful not to overheat the metal when cutting or welding or you will be spending a lot of time with a hammer and dolly trying to get it flat again. On the Cuda at least, the marker lights are very close to the body line, so it will most likely require some sculpting with filler during the body work phase.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline rhamson

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016 - 01:56:45 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016 - 02:50:02 PM »
I knew somebody here had done it....That looks great ! :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016 - 03:48:23 PM »
Any worry about moisture collecting back in there?  Did you drill any drain holes?