Test drove a HEMI Charger today *unbiased review*

Author Topic: Test drove a HEMI Charger today *unbiased review*  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
Test drove a HEMI Charger today *unbiased review*
« on: June 24, 2005 - 05:41:53 PM »
 To all the haters, put the name aside for a moment.  Forget it's called the Charger.  Just consider it as a sedan put out by Dodge.

I wanted to test a V-6 SE version, as that will probably be what I will buy in a couple years, but, they only had a R/T.  However, they will be getting a V-6 SXT in 2-3 weeks, which I will drive when it arrives.

First off, the interior.  Leather.  Comfy.  Huge.  All the controls were in easy reach, except for the rear view mirror, which seemed too far foreward imho.  Also, the doors are a little bit taller than I like, making it a pain in the ass to hang your arm out the window.  I don't really like the zigzag setup of the autostick, either.  If it's an auto, I prefer it to just shift straightline.  However, it was a nice, comfy interior.  Certainly something I wouldn't mind driving in every day.

There was a definate hesitation during hard acceleration, which I did not like.  However, once all 8 cylinders kicked it, you could feel that the car had some balls.  The salesmen would not let me take it to the nearby highway, so I didn't get to truly open it up, which I was disappointed in.  I was also disappointed in the exhaust note.  I felt that it should be deaper, more menacing...  However, it sounds alot better than most new cars.  It had a tight turning radius for a car it's size, and, excellent stopping power.

Now, it's nearest competitors (not counting the other LX cars) are the Ford 500 (FWD, underpowered), the Pontiac Bonneville (Nice power, but, still is FWD), and the Caddilac line (More luxurious, similar powered, but, more expensive).  I believe that this car is the best bang for the buck if you are looking for a powerful, luxurious 4 door sedan.  It's a tad cheaper than the 300, with very similar performance.  The closest competition for the LX sedans, imho, is the Pontiac Bonneville.  The only thing that kills that car (performance wise, at least) is the FWD.

All in all, for what it is supposed to be, it is a damn fine car.  Not without it's flaws, but, all cars have flaws.

I look foreward to see how the V-6 lives up to its bigger brother....

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Re: Test drove a HEMI Charger today *unbiased review*
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005 - 05:50:58 PM »
i like it, but not as a charger (i haveb said this many times before, and am not sure why im saying it again)

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005 - 08:01:47 PM »
They had that car on Car and Driven Television last weekend and they said pretty much the same thing.  They hate the looks, but the performance was very impressive for its class.   The couldn't say enough about the brakes and the power.  After flogging it on the track, which it really wasn't meant for, the brake fade was very slight.  They liked the interior but not all the plastic.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005 - 08:03:34 PM »
SRT8 will be amazing!
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005 - 09:07:45 PM »
Sure, it's an alright car overall, but that d**n nameplate on it throws out the truth behind the name; for DC, it's just a name, but to the die hards a Charger was a legacy that is now broken with a car that shares nothing more than the Dodge name. :nopity: RIP Classic Chargers. RIP :nopity:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005 - 10:00:20 PM »
Flaws? I  remember when my 95 Dodge Dakota door literally fell off.The hinge tore off with the sheet mtal around it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005 - 10:25:55 PM »
Flaws? I  remember when my 95 Dodge Dakota door literally fell off.The hinge tore off with the sheet mtal around it.

No offense here, but what does a truck made 10 years ago have to do with the new Charger? Ive owned 3 Dodge pickups since 1993...one dak, a 1500 (360 auto) and my current 2500 CTD...never a problem with any of them.

This whole deal with the charger name makes me laugh.....who cares what they call it. Would I like to buy a 2 door 2005 version of the Challenger....YES. Would my wife.....NO!  We need 4 doors for the reality of our kids...and our 2000 Intrepid r/t had served us well for 5 years..and in another 2-3 years we'll probably buy a 4 door Dodge with a hemi...sounds good to me and i dont give a rats a$$ what they call it.

just my .02..flame away!

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005 - 10:32:55 PM »
 :fire: :fire: flame!!  :fire: :fire:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005 - 10:57:36 PM »
    :laughup:     :laughup:     :laughup:   :laughup:

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005 - 11:00:34 PM »
nice roadrunner

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005 - 11:01:42 PM »
It's just that I wouldn't want De ja vu. :laughing:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005 - 11:07:22 PM »
It's just that I wouldn't want De ja vu. :laughing:
what are you talkin about? :dontknow: :driving:

Offline Videomagician

• settlemoir.tv
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005 - 11:43:42 PM »

YIKES!  <VM runs out the door to check doors on 95 Dakota>

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye w/440
2002 Chrysler Town and Country eX
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4WD Hemi

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005 - 01:38:40 AM »
What I was getting at was that sheetmetal quality was poor. At least as far as my truck was concerned. To see it happen again would be De ja vu. (a feeling like you did this or been there before)
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005 - 09:20:46 AM »
what are you talkin about? :dontknow: :driving:

I'm not sure, come to think of it I hardly understand your posts most of the time.  :laughing: :eeksmall: :???: :laughing:

I LIKE the Charger now, kind-a grown on me. Thanks for the review Ghost.  :thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60