Applying Dynamat to the inside firewall

Author Topic: Applying Dynamat to the inside firewall  (Read 3616 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Applying Dynamat to the inside firewall
« on: June 24, 2005 - 05:43:05 PM »
The firewall and cowl are all in, sealed and painted. Now I'm ready to apply Dynamat to the inside firewall for sound and heat protection.

Are there any areas that I dont want to cover? I assume most everything would tolerate the thickness of the Dynamat but I have slept since I gutted the interior. Any body grounding points I need to preserve?

Appreciate any advice that will save me time and rework down the road   :gripe:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005 - 05:45:58 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re: Applying Dynamat to the inside firewall
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005 - 07:53:20 PM »
I might not be thinking correctly, but I would think preserving the ground points would be moot.  I would expect the bolts used to put the dash frame to continue the ground into the frame.   I would be concerned though about how the Dynamat will hold up and if it would continue to smash down and pinch out from between were the dash frame mounts.  It might cause it to loosen with time.  Just my 2 cents though.  Someone else might know better.  :dontknow:

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005 - 07:02:58 PM »
yes, I thought about that - am committed to tightening everything and squeezing out insulator from in between. I got the firewall done today - bet you didnt know they made Dynamat in Plum Crazy purple.

[attachment deleted by admin]
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005 - 09:11:51 PM »
That looks sweet.  :thumbs:
Post how everything goes because I was planning to do the same and would like to hear what went well, what to avoid, results, etc...  I was originally thinking I would cut and shape it around the dash frame, but if this works well, it would be much easier.

Oh,  :eeksmall:  and I bet they make Dynamat in Curious Yellow too!  ;D  ;)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005 - 08:12:46 AM »
Curious Yellow? You bet! Its called MetalCast by Duplicolor. I became familiar with this product when I was restoring antique jukeboxes. It is a translucent paint and looks REALLY slick over chrome. Not sure about durability like doing wheels and such but for show stuff that doesnt get a lot of abrasion its a great solution. Ck em out at:  http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

Can turn your chrome or polished aluminum wheels into this:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Robb

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005 - 11:48:11 PM »
Dynamat is good stuff.    You guys are smart to put it on while youre at the stage you are.   Painting it to match is an awesome idea, I have found that any bit of the the raw shiny stuff really sticks out like a sore thumb.

In converting over from 727 to 5 speed tranny, I got new carpet.   While the carpet was out I had some down-time and I got to thinking about the noise level and heat that comes up from the floor.   I went to home depot and they sell an insulation material that is aluminum on both sides with air bubbles in the middle.

Because Im a cheapskate, I went online and instead found some similar material that had a closed cell foam layer instead of air bubbles.  Supposed to add aother 19db of sound suppression.  only 1/4 inch thick.   Might not be as good as if I had covered whole car in dynamat (which would be nice), but I bought a huge roll of this stuff, enough to do the Challenger and my 4Runner and it was very cost effective.   http://www.insulation4less.com/highr_FfmF.asp

I placed a double layer agaist the the backseats, complete edge to edge single layer along the floor and behind the door panels and all interior panels.  I stopped where the carpet stopped along the firewall though.   Carpet lays flat and door panels all fit and line up with the stuff installed no hassle at all.  I used the special tape to seal all the cut pieces togethe and in places I sprayed a little 3m spray adhesive here and there to shape it to the body lines.

(It should work pretty good for heat, I was roasting away installing that stuff as it relfected back all my body heat and the heat from the light bulb.   (it was over 100* in the garage that day too, whcih Im sure didnt help. hahaa)

anyway heres a snapshot of the back area

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005 - 11:57:57 PM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005 - 08:57:07 AM »
That looks great, MikeTyler!!!  And Robb, you did a nice job laying all that down, too. :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005 - 02:53:12 PM »
I thought it would look good and add detail when you are on your back under the dash. I wont go to such trouble when I finish out the rest of the car
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Robb

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005 - 04:27:17 PM »
I thought it would look good and add detail when you are on your back under the dash. I wont go to such trouble when I finish out the rest of the car

Id say "mission accomplished"

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005 - 05:54:52 PM »
The spray in bedliner works well for sound and heat reduction also, just had my truck done with it.
It's a lot more permanent tho, would have to make sure and mask off any areas where brackets mounted so they would fit back in.
I'm still debating on using it on the 'Cuda when the time comes.
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles