Full quarter panels.

Author Topic: Full quarter panels.  (Read 13168 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: Full quarter panels.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005 - 07:03:06 PM »
Sure would be nice if they repopped one-piece, nicer fitting trunk pans. :dontknow:  AND extensions that fit. :madvibe:

The two piece pans suck and the extensions are even worse!

That would sell even faster than the quarter panels!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2005 - 07:13:21 PM by ragtopchally »
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005 - 07:06:58 PM »
yep i think your right!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005 - 07:24:37 PM »
mopar muscle has a 2 month artical on the process you may want to check it out its very helpful!!

Hi,
Roger on that, good reading and I've read the articles more than once trying to get it all
to sink in. That was not an E-bod though, and I was looking for some forward recon on
these quarter skins you guys are talking about. I bought both sides quite a while ago not
realizing at the time there was a fitment problem with the valance. Now I'm wondering how
they made them work without me re-engineering a fix thats already been concocted!  :nopity: Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005 - 07:31:24 PM »
Yea they put em on a charger but they cut along the orginal tail section to get the original fit remeber? could you do that to an e bod?? istead of cutting it all out just cut around where the valance mets the quarter and cut the new quarter to fit and tack it together! would it work?? it should !! right!?

Offline VPOINTCUDA

• Wish she were done so I could take her out Ridin!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005 - 08:35:20 PM »
Well I'm no professional , but heres what the drivers side looks like as of today.I still have to do a lot of block sanding , but it looks to me like all of the lines came out straight.
" the question isn't  when is he going to stop, but whose gonna stop him!"

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005 - 03:35:24 PM »
Well I'm no professional , but heres what the drivers side looks like as of today.I still have to do a lot of block sanding , but it looks to me like all of the lines came out straight.

Hi VPOINTCUDA,
  Hell yeah, looks great!! Did you have to change anything in the valance attachment area for it
to work? Looks plenty professional to me!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

6pak2go, Yes, thats exactly what I plan to do most of the way around. Problem is on my cuda
the attachment area for the valance was gone long ago on both sides as in "dust to dust""iron ore
again" etc.!! :laughing: :cry: :laughing: :cry: I'll get it done one way or another!!  Jeff
71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline VPOINTCUDA

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005 - 05:17:54 PM »
I think I got lucky , because when I dry fit the rear pan, it looked pretty good ! Thanks, but I am far from professional, as a matter of fact, I was scared to death to even attemt it, but my daddy always said , " If you want something done right, do it yourself!" I can't wait to get it completed( both sides , and paint!)

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005 - 06:26:39 PM »
wow vpcuda that looks great i dont think John Balow could have done that good of a job  ;D

Jeff I have the same problem if you figure it out let me know! another problem im gonna have is on the pass side quarter at hte top there is a good size dent in the body line itsa not super bad but its bad enough!! im still trying to decide if im gonna do it myself or hand it over to some one!!

Offline VPOINTCUDA

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005 - 07:04:25 PM »
Hey Sixpack,
How bad is the dent?  When I cut off my old skin, the upper panel was so wavy from the last person that welded on it , I didn't think I was going to get it straight. I made a body dolly from a piece of 2x4 that I shaped on a band saw to fit the curve of the other quarter so they would both match up. They had covered their mess with about 3/4 in. thick bondo !But after beating the sheet metal for about ten minutes, I dry fit the new skin and it fit perfect.I did have to use about a 1/4 in. thick layer of duraglass to blend in the weld seam, but it definitly looks muck better !

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005 - 07:06:47 PM »
its not bad but it does crease the body line have a pic here somewhere let me find it!!

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005 - 07:42:13 PM »
there in the thread i want an c-c.c ebod poster please just type that in the search!! my pics are on page 12 its on the drivers side not pass my bad you can see it it looks like a lil brown spot!! its not real bad!! il take a better pic if i can remember I need to update my pics anyways but my computer is so slow at home it is a pain in the a$$ to da anything

Offline VPOINTCUDA

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005 - 11:13:14 PM »
I tried to find the pic. but I'm not very good with this darn thing yet! Seems I'm better with a hammer , huh ! ! !
If its not too bad, and your going to cut off the skin anyway, if the car is parked for awhile, try using a body dolly and hammer set and see if you can re-shape it. Is the dent on the upper body line?
The skins I got from Year One go up over the top and wrap about an inch. So the body line is already there, some only come up an inch below the body line. Depends on which ones you get as to how much banging you're going to end up doing.
Whatever you do , when you get that big a$$ hole cut out of the back of your baby, don't get discouraged. I almost gave in to temtation and called a body shop. Boy am I glad I didn't ! Its definitly a big job, but take your time , do a couple hours at a time . Walk away, have a coke and a samwhich , and then come back to it! You'll definitly be surprised how a few minutes worth of break time can change your perspective !
Post up a new pic. for me .

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005 - 06:38:23 PM »
ok i think the quarter will work fine then becouse its not an in past the line!!! im gonna go take some pic of my dart hopefuly tomorrow to post so il take a couple of my cuda and exspecaly that one dent so you can see it for your self!! my biggest worry is there is alot of bondo in this car!! the fenders the door the sail panels etc im afraif if i start sandin on it il never get it staright again!! it look straight now!! it was restored in 82 and parked in 85 but who ever restored it did a great job on the body is very straight but its all bondo!!

Offline VPOINTCUDA

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005 - 08:51:43 PM »
I'm going through the same thing. The top of the car looked nice, then when I started sanding the old paint off, I found bondo everywhere, I'm trying my hand at heta shrinking it to get some of the waves out, I don't mind a skim coat of fill to blend , but some of the areas were up to 1/2 an in thick. I don't know who did the work on my car in the past , it was painted three different times, three different colors and more fill dumped on each time. Now I get the job of thinning it down as best I can. Actuall, it seems to me that the rear quarter wasn't half as bad as digging out all of the darn fill is ! ! !  :ack:

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005 - 01:23:18 PM »
yea thats a problem on alot of cars!! i got lucky on my dart i bought it and it was all original completly unmolested one owner car so the body work on it was not that hard!!