Author Topic: Proving a Point  (Read 2723 times)

Offline CudaSteve

Proving a Point
« on: November 08, 2016 - 09:26:10 PM »
Need help proving a point. Can anyone out there with a 70/71 Cuda take a measurement like in the attached picture and let me know what
distance you get.
Thanks.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Proving a Point
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016 - 09:31:10 PM »
Really Steve ? Still ? How long has it been now ? :banghead:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline culp71

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016 - 08:39:53 AM »
I just measured my 70/71 cuda driver door skin, location same as the pic you posted.
with the tape vertical and tight to the door allowing the tape to contour to match skin
with the 1 inch centered on the peak of the doors lower body line up to the peak of the upper body line is at 13 3/32" hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016 - 03:43:15 PM by culp71 »

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016 - 05:18:43 PM »
Is that a repop door skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CudaSteve

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016 - 12:33:01 AM »
Thanks culp71 and EBP for responding. This is an original 70 cuda door. Alan should recognize his door. I'm doing this because AMD are being aholes. They are saying that they measured their door skin lower to center style line at only 12". Even with all the measurement pics and video that were done by Keith Sim of KS Metalcraft who is a veteran sheet metal fabricator, Scott at National Moparts in Beaverton and myself that came up with 12.25" ; AMD says that 12" is correct.
Well that would then make their own replacement fenders incorrect and an original 1970 Chrysler manufactured door skin incorrect? So who is right?

*We have to stand up to companies that dictate to us that their stuff is the best in the market but will not stand behind their products when there is a defect with it.*

These parts are not stamped by automated machines. Someone has to shove the panels in and out. Humans make mistakes.
Then there are the people out there that say I shouldn't complain and to be grateful that you got anything at all. Well for the people that have money to burn out there; I'm happy for you. Most of us don't have money to burn and expect to get a good product. AMD doesn't care.
Lets show them that you do!!!!

So if any are willing to help out and send pics of the same measurement; Thank You very very much.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016 - 01:01:01 PM »
That is not a minor glitch. AMD should be thanking you for bringing it to their attention.

Sheldon

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016 - 01:23:16 PM »
Sure you don't want to hear it but mine were the same way until I adjusted everything multiple time to include raising the front of the door to get the bottom gap and then adjusting the fenders. Interestingly, the way the bottom of the fenders are shimmed and adjusted had a significant impact on fitment. Very frustrating for sure but with some work it all lined up. I have a AMD door skin and fender on the left side and an original door and AMD fender on the right side.

I cannot speak to the items you personally have, but I can say that my dealings with AMD have been great and their products are of good quality.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline CudaSteve

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016 - 04:55:41 PM »
Thanks Sheldon.
If you could post a pic that would be great. I am trying to amass as much evidence as I can to send to AMD.

Thanks Again.

Steve.

Offline CudaSteve

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016 - 05:04:58 PM »
Thanks 70chall440;

I wish it was just a minor issue as I could have lived with that.  I understand that all aftermarket sheet metal is not perfect and that minor tweeking is necessary.
When you look closely at my pics you will see that the lower fender and door skin style lines line up, as do the fender peak and the door skin  peak. The problem is the center style line. It was not aligned right in the stamping machine. If you can post a pic of the measurement that would be great. I am trying to amass as much evidence as I can to send to AMD.

Just as a side note: I went to the AMD website and figured maybe a door shell would be better and cheaper; BUT WAIT - the listings for cuda
door shells #500-1570-L and R have both disappeared. Co-incidence or do they know something is wrong. Huh.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016 - 07:02:23 PM »
I love this guy :crazy:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline CudaSteve

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016 - 10:48:06 PM »
Grandfather used to say " If you have nothing helpful to say; say nothing at all"

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016 - 10:53:20 PM »
Interesting you point this out. My Barracuda is a hodge-podge of parts, but I suspect my body shop ran into the same issue you did.

The car has a factory drivers door skin, AMD passenger door skin and Goodmark front fenders. They had minimal complaints with the front fenders but mentioned that the door skin really gave them fits...
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016 - 12:24:42 AM »
I am not trying to fan the flames here or saying you are wrong, however when I first hung my fenders, the drivers side (door skin and fender) did exactly what you are saying; the bottom lined up and I could get the top line aligned but the center style line did not line up at all. At first, I was thinking exactly what you are saying, however after some research and talking to guys who have done a lot of Ebodies, I went back to adjusting and shimming and interestingly enough it came together and lined up. a large part of this is sequence and understanding that a few things; these cars were far from perfect when new; they are put together like a model car and done so by humans, thus not perfect; no repop is going to fit every car exactly the same and lastly, there are many components/adjustments that have a variety of results. In my case, the bottom of the fenders did not fit the pinch weld correctly; most of this was due to past damage and efforts to repair the damage. That said and in reference to that center line; I found that shimming the front bolt of the lower/rear part of the fender (the part with 2 studs that hold it in place) along with tightening the top of fender (using the inside stud) made the fender bow out next to the door and line up.

If I think of it, I will take a measurement and let you know. Having said that, I seriously doubt AMD is going to change a stamp/mold, very expansive endeavor.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline 60K T/A

Re: Proving a
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016 - 03:41:55 PM »
Can anybody tell me if the 982 Super tractors offered the 3-point hitch like the early Cub Cadets - not the Cat "O" type?

I wouldnt click on his signature. Takes you to Russia. Might have some kind of virus waiting for You.  :wavingflag:
T/A, Survivor,
M37B1 Sold
W350

It took about 35 years for the "politicians" to RUIN this country just to line their pockets