Author Topic: Yes, another B5 Blue Topic  (Read 3893 times)

Offline 70cudaFun

Yes, another B5 Blue Topic
« on: December 13, 2016 - 10:39:31 PM »
Okay so I'm thinking of painting my car now.........................  I had ZERO plans on painting it since my current paint is a 20 footer (most guys know what I mean about it being a 20 footer so I won't elaborate here) and I was fine with it since I want to drive this bad boy all around town as is.  I recently thought about painting the car since I have been stripping the interior (it was very bad and very much needed) and this would be the time to paint the car since the engine, tranny and interior is out.   I have just started the paint process research and wanted to get some ideas from you fine folks.  The color I'm zeroing in on is B5 Blue for a couple reasons.  For one, I love the damn color!  For two, the original color of this Barracuda was B5 Blue so I would like to bring it back to what it was born with. 

I have used the search function and read most of the B5 Blue related threads so I'm familiar about the whole PPG vs DuPont topic and how B5 Blue is different for the 1970 and different for the 71+.  So, here are some of the questions I don't really have answers to yet:

First Question: Does anyone have a visual comparison on a Mopar between B5 Blue for Ditzler (code 2019) and DuPont (code 4982L, 4982A, 4982D)?  If I go this paint route, I really want to pick the right shade of Blue for my 70 Barracuda.  The old threads that came up for this topic didn't have pictures anymore.

Second Question: If I wanted to go the Base/Clear paint route, is there a kit that incorporates the "must have" supplies?  Meaning, if I have a paint shop who wants to take on the job for an X amount, is there a must have primer, base, clear, sealer I should be looking into?  What general prices do the necessities run at?

Third Question: For anyone who has gone down this road, what are some pointers and tips you have for a new to mopar guy as far as paint goes?  I have heard about the 15k to 30k price tag on paint and I always feel  :clueless: because I can't quantify it in my mind.  The body on my Barracuda is pretty solid and doesn't have dents or much exterior body work needed.  The trunk pan is new and the rear quarter panels are new.

Any information you could provide on this topic will help me understand if I should even consider going down this road.  Thanks for any help in advance guys.

Offline rhamson

Re: Yes, another B5 Blue Topic
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016 - 06:56:01 AM »
I can't comment on question #1 but if you stray from a single stage to a basecoat/clearcoat the color may not come out as a precise match as the clearcoat magnifies the color more and may look different next to an original B5 blue. If you do go the baecoat/clearcoat route you may want to confer with your painter as they may have a certain manufacturer they are comfortable with based on their experience. I prefer House of Kolor but they do not have B5 blue in their fan of colors. As far as cost it is wide open. What you may consider a small amount of bodywork may mean much more to the actual painter. Some like to slather the whole body with filler and that usually means taking everything down to bare metal. The labor for that without metalwork is usually around $12,000 to $18,000 depending on how perfect and how many coats are applied.  :2cents:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016 - 06:59:50 AM by rhamson »

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016 - 05:54:47 PM »
As far as the minor shade variations between paint brands, I wouldn't sweat it much unless you were doing a concours restoration - which it seems you are not - so just pick the one that appeals to YOU the most and go with it.
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline 70cudaFun

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016 - 06:04:01 PM »
I can't comment on question #1 but if you stray from a single stage to a basecoat/clearcoat the color may not come out as a precise match as the clearcoat magnifies the color more and may look different next to an original B5 blue. If you do go the baecoat/clearcoat route you may want to confer with your painter as they may have a certain manufacturer they are comfortable with based on their experience. I prefer House of Kolor but they do not have B5 blue in their fan of colors. As far as cost it is wide open. What you may consider a small amount of bodywork may mean much more to the actual painter. Some like to slather the whole body with filler and that usually means taking everything down to bare metal. The labor for that without metalwork is usually around $12,000 to $18,000 depending on how perfect and how many coats are applied.  :2cents:

The painter I have been talking to said it's easy to work with PPG on his end and the quality is great.  I guess I will have to dig in deeper into the true costs of taking on something like this.

Offline 70cudaFun

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016 - 06:05:39 PM »
As far as the minor shade variations between paint brands, I wouldn't sweat it much unless you were doing a concours restoration - which it seems you are not - so just pick the one that appeals to YOU the most and go with it.

Yeah, not doing anywhere near concours but want it to look the right shade of blue.  Doesn't have to be exact but that's why I wanted to see if anyone on here could show pics of their B5 Blue cars so I can choose between the base color differences at least.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016 - 12:41:47 AM »
Any color shown here doesn't mean squat, different monitors color reproduction vary so widely you can't trust them...

EB5 has allot of fine metal flake in it, no way would I spray single stage.... Back in the 80's -90's Dupont's version of EB5 was to green, PPG's color match was pretty good.... Sherwin Williams color match was virtually spot on....  Any suppliers paint can be made to match with a good painter & the right toners... FWIW I've always bought to much material, mix it all at the same time & keep at least one sealed quart set aside for future touch-ups...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline js29no

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016 - 09:33:22 AM »
On these erodesent colors your sealer or primer choice can make A difference in the shade you end up with. PPG is A good product, base clear definitely. :2cents: 

Offline 70cudaFun

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016 - 02:33:11 PM »
Any color shown here doesn't mean squat, different monitors color reproduction vary so widely you can't trust them...

EB5 has allot of fine metal flake in it, no way would I spray single stage.... Back in the 80's -90's Dupont's version of EB5 was to green, PPG's color match was pretty good.... Sherwin Williams color match was virtually spot on....  Any suppliers paint can be made to match with a good painter & the right toners... FWIW I've always bought to much material, mix it all at the same time & keep at least one sealed quart set aside for future touch-ups...

Okay thanks, good point on setting aside a quart for future touch ups.

Offline 4406v

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016 - 04:30:34 PM »
If you're not worried about perfection I'd attempt to do it yourself. The cost of materials will be your total expense and for a "driver" won't make a difference. My experience was this: a buddy and I painted my 70 Challenger in the back yard in his garage. We spent a lot of time prepping the body and making sure it was straight. We painted the car let it cure for about 3 months over the winter and in the spring block sanded and buffed it out. It really came out nice for the $600 I had in materials. I spent another month putting all the trim and other pieces on the car. When it was done I was VERY HAPPY with the end results.

I take the car out for the first drive and WHAM!!! one of those big stones comes out of no where and hits right in the center of the hood. I never saw it coming. I pull over and get out to find a very large chip right in the center of the hood. Had I spent $15-$20k on perfection I WOULD HAVE LOST MY MIND!!! I went home grabbed a small brush and touched it up knowing I would never regret doing it myself. If you're just going to drive it and ENJOY IT don't waste your money on a perfect paint job,  $h!t happens and it will!!!
"Live for today, Tomorrow never comes"

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016 - 06:30:05 PM »
Yes, another B5 Blue topic

How come there is never a "Yes, another B3 Blue topic"?  B3 gets no respect I tell ya, no respect.   :stirpot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVR_ajL_Eo

:lol:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016 - 11:43:04 PM »
I agree.

B3 is a color that is under represented.

It's much like Winchester Grey which is another color not seen done as much either.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline headejm

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016 - 12:21:05 AM »
Ice Blue!

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016 - 10:57:11 AM »
I agree.

B3 is a color that is under represented.

It's much like Winchester Grey which is another color not seen done as much either.

Idk, I'm pretty partial to B7 myself.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016 - 11:35:56 AM »

Nice! :drool: :thumbsup:
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016 - 12:06:43 PM »

I like B7 too, but I LOVE B5....