Author Topic: Thinking of Selling  (Read 3309 times)

Offline bolo185

Thinking of Selling
« on: December 21, 2016 - 01:18:47 PM »
Thinking of selling my 70 Barracuda Resto-Mod. 3+ years in and out of the shop building, it's finally pretty much done. Resto-mod Cuda, 440 motor pumped up to approx 500 hp, Edelbrock Torker II manifold and Holley 850 double pumper carb, roller rockers, Voodoo cam, 5 speed Tremec transmission, original pistol grip shifter, Hydraulic clutch, New Ford 9" rear end and custom driveshaft, 4 and 6 piston Wilwood brakes, Magnum Force tubular front end kit powder coated to match car, coil over suspension up front with rack and pinion power steering. Hedman headers with AAR style side exhaust, Vintage air & heat, custom gauges and dash insert, Viper front seats, original seats in rear. Torque Thrust wheels, 18's on rear, 17's on front, undercarriage coating, Engine bay shroud cover and 71 Cuda mirrors paint matched to car (some pics show old chrome mirrors), shaker hood, marker lights removed and molded over, and I'm sure more I forgot.

Probably wont appeal to most here that prefer original and numbers matching, but for the resto-mod or pro-touring bunch it's a bad ass car that looks and especially sounds awesome. Less than 300 miles on it since done. Might be crazy for thinking of selling it  :screwy: but I think I enjoy the game of buying and selling and looking for a new project.   

If the right price comes along I'd throw in a charcoal 2016 Challenger low profile trailer with deck lights, 12k lb electric winch w/remote, 7'ramps, 4-wheel electric brakes, 7k lb front jack, LED lights and more.

Shop owner feels worth over $100k and they couldnt build one for less than that with everything it has.

Not worth it to someone wanting a project or has a low budget, but for someone wanting a turn-key beautiful pro-touring Cuda with modern day suspension and braking upgrades, it's available for the right price. I know I'm going to end up losing money on it especially after I add up all my receipts  :22yikes:  :o :22yikes: but if I don't hemorrhage too bad I'll sell it. Any reasonable offer would be considered but lowballs ignored.  Currently registered and owned in in CA. I'll have a more definite price after adding up receipts and doing some research, but for now wondering what ballpark prices these pro-touring cars are going for nowadays?       

Here's a few pics and I have more if anyone is interested.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/bolo185/library/

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Thinking of Selling
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016 - 01:51:34 PM »
It's really hard to put a price on a modified car. I agree you certainly couldn't build it for under $100K...
At a "BJ" type auction it might bring in the $70K-$80K range if it sounds as good as it looks.....on EBay I doubt it would go over $40K....
I think advertised for anything over $50K and you'll be waiting a long time to find a buyer :2cents:
Problems: Most people are looking for a more exciting drivetrain, they want fuel injection, they want a Hemi or nowadays a modern Hemi....

That's just my opinion :blah:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline djais1801

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016 - 01:55:59 PM »
Alan is spot on.  BJ or Mecum, you're looking at 100k builds going for 60-75k.  The hot trend today is GM resto mods with LS1's...and now even Mopar is in the game with crate 392 setups w/all hardware for 11k. see member dfrazz (just put this setup in his 70 AAR clone).

The high dollar 50 mercs, led sleds, street rods are out, the older guys are dying off and no one young wants them...and the one's that do have to sink another 20k into updates from the years of Billet everything.

Good luck with the sale, it's a beautiful ride.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016 - 03:09:29 PM »
Why you selling it after it finally being done?

Sorry,  but 99% of resto mods are money losers because hard to find someone who shares your tastes and has money to burn.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline usraptr

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016 - 04:07:06 PM »
I agree with everything that has been said above.  However, if you go to a Mecum auction you can at least set a reserve.  Beautiful car BTW and good luck with your sale.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016 - 11:47:50 PM »
do you have the original fender tag?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline bolo185

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016 - 12:07:43 PM »
do you have the original fender tag?

Another drawback, no fender tag. Have pics during the frame off build with body on a rotisserie and not sure why fender tag was removed or much history on the car. Dash VIN is a BH so seller wasnt trying to fool anyone into thinking it was a BS. 440 wasnt the original motor. I know the original equipment numbers matching enthusiast wont like the car, but was hoping someone that wanted a turn-key finished car with all the hard work and $$$$ already spent, modern suspension, brakes and handling, fun to drive and handles great, and not worried about original equipment or matching numbers, includes expensive trainer, would be attracted to it. But I'm preaching to the wrong crowd here I think........  :dunno:  Gotten great advice and support here but I know the majority prefer original.......  :thumbsup:

Thinking of selling because I suffer from BWF disfunction......(bored when finished). Instead of enjoying the fruits of my labor when I finish a project I get bored and sell, then find something else to keep me busy. From homes, to vintage MX bikes to now my cuda, I get BWF..... :screwy:   Don't have to sell and although I know I'll be taking a loss, don't want to hemorrhage too bad and would rather keep it than take too big a loss. 
But, if a satisfactory price comes along everything's for sale...... Now if I could just find the 68 Charger I had 40 yrs ago...... :thinkerg:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016 - 12:40:15 PM »
I think we're a mixed crowd here, but yes you would have to read my opinion with a grain of salt, because deep down I'm an original purist type... :-X :worshippy

Maybe in the New Year try EBay with a high reserve...Usually the "highest bid" (if it's not your buddy) indicates the going market and what people are actually willing to pay. You can find them all day long advertised for $100K but what are they actually selling for ? Who knows ?

P.S. I really like your trailer :drool:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016 - 01:33:14 PM »
It's hard to sell a modified car without losing $$$, The other problem with modified cars is that they go out of style in a relatively short time. I'd be tempted to use the car for a summer before deciding.

Sheldon

Offline bolo185

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016 - 02:38:47 PM »
I think we're a mixed crowd here, but yes you would have to read my opinion with a grain of salt, because deep down I'm an original purist type... :-X :worshippy

Maybe in the New Year try EBay with a high reserve...Usually the "highest bid" (if it's not your buddy) indicates the going market and what people are actually willing to pay. You can find them all day long advertised for $100K but what are they actually selling for ? Who knows ?

P.S. I really like your trailer :drool:

I might try an ebay ad just to test the waters, what's the charge to sell a car there, set percentage?  I think Mecum auctions are 10% buyer and seller fees. Rather sell myself if I can find someone with a pocketful of cash and no time to build one...... If all else fails, my 3-yr-old grandson can drive it in many years, he loves the car, always ask to see and sit in the "cuda" lol

And yes, the trailer is very nice! They custom make them for low cars and comes in handy for my 3"-4" of ground clearance. 7 foot slide out ramps, 4' dovetail, LED loading lights, LED running lights, 4-wheel electric brakes, 7K tongue jack, choice of colors, diamond plate protective panels, heavy duty axles, winch mount, and more.... All come standard on these but other manufactures charge extra for. I added a 12K lb winch with hand held remote. Easy Peasy to load and unload myself...  :)     The link for the trailers is http://www.carguytrailers.com/our-trailers.html if anyone is interested in a nice affordable trailer that comes with lots of extras.

Merry Christmas all, and a safe and Happy New Years!

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016 - 09:48:20 PM »
I like restomod.   
Was hoping it had a specific bh barracuda only option.  Would love to find the option on an already modded car.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline djais1801

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016 - 08:26:37 AM »
it's usually about $65 for the auction type...and less I think if you're going for a quoted price of "buy it now".
I might try an ebay ad just to test the waters, what's the charge to sell a car there, set percentage?  I think Mecum auctions are 10% buyer and seller fees. Rather sell myself if I can find someone with a pocketful of cash and no time to build one...... If all else fails, my 3-yr-old grandson can drive it in many years, he loves the car, always ask to see and sit in the "cuda" lol

And yes, the trailer is very nice! They custom make them for low cars and comes in handy for my 3"-4" of ground clearance. 7 foot slide out ramps, 4' dovetail, LED loading lights, LED running lights, 4-wheel electric brakes, 7K tongue jack, choice of colors, diamond plate protective panels, heavy duty axles, winch mount, and more.... All come standard on these but other manufactures charge extra for. I added a 12K lb winch with hand held remote. Easy Peasy to load and unload myself...  :)     The link for the trailers is http://www.carguytrailers.com/our-trailers.html if anyone is interested in a nice affordable trailer that comes with lots of extras.

Merry Christmas all, and a safe and Happy New Years!

Offline Markp

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016 - 09:07:31 AM »
Unfortunately when it comes to modified or custom cars you will never get back what you spent. I have a 4th gen Camaro SS I have owned for 16 years. I have spend $40000 in upgrades. The motor was over $20000 alone I can't even get $25000 for a car with 28000kms
1974 Cuda Pro Street Project ???hp
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707hp