Author Topic: Styling tricks on E bodies  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Yellow Submarine

Styling tricks on E bodies
« on: December 21, 2016 - 03:23:58 PM »
I have been a fan of musclecars since the late 60's. My favorites have been the E bodies. My favoritism has slowly changed from Cudas to the Challenger s though I still love both. One of the things I like about a Challenger over a Cuda is an apparently leaner area over the front wheel opening. By that I It looks like there is less vertical sheetmetal over the front tire giving the Challenger a more sleek, less bulky look than the Cuda.
I would like for someone with a 70-74 Barracuda to measure the vertice distance from the center of the wheel opening to the top of the fender and post it here. Pleats measure with the ruler/tape in a straight up and down and not follow the curve of the fender and post here.
Thanks, John :bananasmi
70' RT SE 383 Challenger
Factory Five MkIII Roadster (Cobra)
66' Mustang FB (GT 350 Clone)
70' Kawasaki 500 Mach III (H1)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
Re: Styling tricks on E bodies
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016 - 11:40:37 PM »
I have something between 9 and 10 inches

Ya know,

on that fender measurement thing

for Plymouth E bodies

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016 - 09:35:15 AM »
I don't know that it is necessarily less actually metal, but that  very deep and distinctive belt line feature of the Challenger combined with its longer length does impact its appearance over that of the Cuda.

IMO, the Cuda has always looked like a more stylized 1st gen Camaro while the Challenger is distinctly Dodge. But that aligns with the whole value approach of Plymouth compared to Dodge from back in the day.

Offline Yellow Submarine

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016 - 02:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the measurement 360. I measure about 8 3/4". That makes the Dodge maybe a half inch lower.
Thanks for the insight HP. The prominent character line down the side of the Dodge seriously changes the look of car. It is the most distinctive part of the Challengers look to me.
When I first got the car into my garage I was shocked at how pronounced that line is towards the rear of the car. It is very dramatic up close.

John
70' RT SE 383 Challenger

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016 - 11:57:58 PM »
IMO, the Cuda has always looked like a more stylized 1st gen Camaro while the Challenger is distinctly Dodge. But that aligns with the whole value approach of Plymouth compared to Dodge from back in the day.

I couldn't agree more on the Camero comparison. Hadn't thought of it like that until you mentioned it. I love the character line down the side and I like that it's on the new cars as well. It works. It must be a hate it or love it thing though because I always hear Cuda fans say that line is what they don't like about Challengers and I always hear Challenger fans say that is the main styling feature that draws them to Challengers.

Offline Yellow Submarine

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016 - 12:54:01 AM »
One other observation on Cudas and Challengers. Of all 5 years of E body Barracudas manufacturer it is interesting that the 71' seems to be looked at as the favorite one. The 71 is the only year that any Barracuda had 4 headlights. Many say the "toothy" grill or the fender "gills" . It seems to me that with the extremely wide E bodies, the 4 headlights of the 71 just fill out the grill better.
What do you think?
John
70' RT SE 383 Challenger

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016 - 09:33:29 AM »
The 71 Cuda is my favorite Cuda by far and I think it's because of the four headlights. Grille is awesome but I like four headlights on most all older cars.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016 - 10:53:31 AM »
I do think the 4 headlight system works better on the E body, but that just my opinion.

What I do find interesting is how back in 1971, the automotive press and the buying public panned the look of the '71 Cuda. Sales dropped, significantly. 20 year later, they suddenly became the darling of the collectible world because of the combined factors of low production volume, EPA requirements, net vs gross HP ratings, and big block availability.  Of course, the same can be said of the wing cars too.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016 - 01:58:56 PM »
If I had to have a Cuda give me a 70.... 71's are way to gaudy....  :2cents:
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016 - 08:24:32 PM »
If I had to have a Cuda give me a 70.... 71's are way to gaudy....  :2cents:

That's what makes the 71s so cool! Gaudy and tacky. Almost to the point of looking ridiculous. Haha

I have loved that look since I was a kid.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016 - 09:00:00 PM »
That's what makes the 71s so cool! Gaudy and tacky. Almost to the point of looking ridiculous. Haha

I have loved that look since I was a kid.

71 Cuda's were ahead of their time.... They were Disco cars before Disco had even arrived....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016 - 09:07:20 PM »
71 Cuda's were ahead of their time.... They were Disco cars before Disco had even arrived....

That's a good way to put it.

Biggest style drawback in my opinion on all the Cudas was the rear end tail lights. Always thought they could use "more cowbell."