Author Topic: $900 to polish an E-body's trim???  (Read 2682 times)

Offline nsmall

$900 to polish an E-body's trim???
« on: December 21, 2016 - 07:46:54 PM »
I live in California where sometimes things seem to be rather expensive in my opinion. Someone recommended a local polishing shop to me. 

I basically have very very minor dents throughout my Cuda trim and I'm going to have the aluminum belt moldings and rear tail panel trim polished, all of the front and back windshield trim, and all of the trim that goes on the upper part of the side windows so I guess that might be called the drip rail trim.

Originally he said all of that was going to cost me around $750 and today I dropped off the trim and he's making it sound like it should be more like $1200 and he's cutting me a deal at $900.

I don't have the tools or time to do the trim myself and would rather hire someone to do it as I have the money to pay for it. However I was just curious if you guys out there think that this sounds way too expensive?

Thanks

Neil

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
Re: $900 to polish an E-body's trim???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016 - 08:01:39 PM »
Probably Ano-Brite/King of Trim.....     They can do good work... Not the best but very good.... Be glad you didn't get a quote from All-Trim out of Washington it would be 5X that....  Might check with Norm Huie @ Shine On Me Trim in San Clemente... He's a little cheaper but still very good work....   I have a local guy that does nice work but it would be quite a drive for you...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016 - 08:06:06 PM »
Polishing trim can take a looooong time to do it right.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016 - 08:42:26 PM »
That amount of trim around here by a professional shop would be in the $2000 range. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016 - 08:44:00 PM »
Are they going to re-anodise the aluminum trim ? If not it will just dull over time (short time).
When it comes to Cuda belt moldings, I just buy new ones :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016 - 09:14:10 PM »
I found a dude in Sun Valley (so. Cal.) that did all my B body trim for $300 and it was in very poor condition. He made it look better than new. I kept his contact info but it's lost somewhere in my garage. If I ever find it, I'll post it for everyone.

I did my 64 Vette trim myself after watching Codys videos and it was sooooo much work. I can see why it costs so much.

Offline nsmall

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016 - 09:32:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like it's going to cost me $900 as I don't have time and/or the brain power. Like most of this restoration...Costs are higher than anticipated :violin:

Trim guy seems uptight and has been in business forever so hopefully the first batch I gave him will turn out good.

Alan, I tried buying some belt trim from a sponsor here and he advised me use OEM trim.  The trim guy is NOT going to anodize the aluminum trim.

I've read others here putting a clear coat of Eastwood over the aluminum once it's polished out.  I'm thinking of just putting some wax on it as others have recommended that.

Is this wishful thinking?  I don't expect the trim to be amazing, yet I don't want it to look like garbage after a year.   I live in a desert, don't plan to wash the car with water, will only drive the car occasionally.

Thanks guys.

Neil

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016 - 09:40:04 PM »
I live in central California so similar climate... I have polished aluminum that had the anodizing stripped years ago.... All I do it hit it with Mothers Mag polish every few yews... Still looks great....  Not an issue...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016 - 09:42:20 PM »
Yea, I think you'll might be alright if you "stay on it". There are some good waxes out there these days :thumbsup:

Offline 72ls5fla

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016 - 09:50:20 PM »
I would personally pay the money to have the trim anodized.
Since you are already paying to have it polished and straightened why not pay a little extra
and get the coating on it so the shine is protected for a very long time.

Also
the sheen is very different between polished aluminum with and without the Anodized coating.
and each time you polish aluminum you are removing microscopic layers of material - kinda like rubbing lacquer paint..

Just my 2 cents...

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016 - 10:00:23 PM »
I would personally pay the money to have the trim anodized.
Since you are already paying to have it polished and straightened why not pay a little extra
and get the coating on it so the shine is protected for a very long time.

Also
the sheen is very different between polished aluminum with and without the Anodized coating.
and each time you polish aluminum you are removing microscopic layers of material - kinda like rubbing lacquer paint..

Just my 2 cents...

And if you talk to guys in the business they will tell you anodizing new parts works great because the surface is perfect..... Used parts especially parts exposed to higher wear when re-anodized they show what prior to anodizing were microscopic flaws but after anodizing are very visible in the form of whitish blushing which in the trade is called "blooming"..... So IMO I would not worry about anodizing....  :2cents:

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016 - 10:02:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  Sounds like it's going to cost me $900 as I don't have time and/or the brain power. Like most of this restoration...Costs are higher than anticipated :violin:

Trim guy seems uptight and has been in business forever so hopefully the first batch I gave him will turn out good.

Alan, I tried buying some belt trim from a sponsor here and he advised me use OEM trim.  The trim guy is NOT going to anodize the aluminum trim.

I've read others here putting a clear coat of Eastwood over the aluminum once it's polished out.  I'm thinking of just putting some wax on it as others have recommended that.

I know many get really weirded out by this but I have painted aluminum items with plasticote aluminum rattle can paint and it looks fabulous. I did the whole grill opening of my 64 Vette with it (and thats a lot of grille). It looks new, I drive the crap out of it, and 12 months later, it still looks as good as the day I did it. Of course its garaged and not washed in car washes. My feeling was why spend $500 plus on new parts when the old ones are not bent or dinged up? If I had a show car, I might have a different point of view.

Is this wishful thinking?  I don't expect the trim to be amazing, yet I don't want it to look like garbage after a year.   I live in a desert, don't plan to wash the car with water, will only drive the car occasionally.

Thanks guys.

Neil

Offline nsmall

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016 - 01:18:35 AM »
I don't do Facebook, but dang, you guys are better than Facebook friends.

Really appreciate your help and ideas.  You guys are real good to me.  Couldn't imagine doing this alone.

Neil

Offline twalker

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016 - 02:00:05 PM »
Like said above, it is very labor intensive.  I did mine and it took a lot of work.  Given the going labor rate 900 sounds about right, could see it taking a day to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline usraptr

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016 - 05:30:53 PM »
I've done about 2/3 'rds of my '70 Cuda's trim and I agree that it is a lot of time consuming work.  I would agree that $900 is not an out of touch price.  Good luck.   :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.