Author Topic: Filler tube removal  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Rdchallenger12

Filler tube removal
« on: December 28, 2016 - 06:37:33 AM »
I am about to replace my trunk pan with a new one piece design. How do I go about removing the Gas Filler tube. I understand I need to remove the screws from the quarter panel as well as the gasket that's bolted into the old trunk pan. That's about all I know regarding it though. I don't plan on dropping the tank or anything but just replacing the trunk and repairing any damage to the frame. Thanks for any info!

Offline twalker

Re: Filler tube removal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016 - 08:06:16 AM »
You'll have to drop the tank and to get a one piece trunk pan installed you'll have to have the tail pan removed or rear rails....what's the state of your car, send pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016 - 09:16:01 AM »
You're going to weld in a new trunk floor without dropping the tank ?  :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline js29no

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016 - 10:44:10 AM »
He's A braver man than most!!!!   besides aren't  the straps go to the brackets that are welded to the trunk floor?  :2cents:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016 - 10:48:36 AM by js29no »

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016 - 10:52:57 AM »
You'll have to drop the tank and to get a one piece trunk pan installed you'll have to have the tail pan removed or rear rails....what's the state of your car, send pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State of it is in the Resto part of the board.

I will be cutting out the rear frame connector and sliding it in like a drawer that a member has done on here.

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016 - 12:31:08 PM »
By weld too I meant plug weld spots then use seam sealer.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016 - 12:42:48 PM »
Just drop the tank. You can have it out in 10 minutes. You may need to buy new J-nuts if they break but no big deal. Soak the J-nuts overnight  and make sure the tank is almost empty.

Sheldon

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016 - 12:45:18 PM »
Just drop the tank. You can have it out in 10 minutes. You may need to buy new J-nuts if they break but no big deal. Soak the J-nuts overnight  and make sure the tank is almost empty.

Sheldon

Okay, that still requires me to remove the filler tube which goes back to my first question. What else will need to be done, looked over, or replaced on the tank once removed?

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016 - 01:05:04 PM »
Okay, that still requires me to remove the filler tube which goes back to my first question. What else will need to be done, looked over, or replaced on the tank once removed?

when you pull the tank, inspect it for signs of damage, rust, or corrosion. while it is out you may want to pull the sending unit and look at it and clean/replace the screen filter on the end of it. You should also inspect your tank mounting hardware, J bolts, straps, etc. you may also need a new tank grommet if your old one is damaged or cracked. other than these items there is not much left unless you replace you fuel lines or gas cap.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline soundcontrol

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016 - 02:15:44 PM »

The tank just holds the filler tube with a rubber seal, it will slide out when you drop the tank, then just the screws you mentioned.
/ Ken
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=102525.0
topic=108917.new#new

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016 - 02:41:17 PM »
Or throw it all out and just buy new stuff. Roseville sells a great kit with everything you need. :2thumbs:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Rdchallenger12

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016 - 05:01:06 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the help!!! I actually just replaced the sending unit last summer.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016 - 06:26:08 PM »
To answer your initial question, after removing those screws, you can usually just get in the trunk and getting a good grip on the tube, twist and pull it out of the rubber tank grommet. A wee bit of penetrant squirted between said tube and grommet (after pulling the floor cover and using either a pick or small straight blade screwdriver to pry them apart) wouldn't come amiss, either. Good luck and DON'T try to change the floor w/o dropping that tank- for your own safety if nothing else.  :cheers:

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016 - 10:12:31 PM »
Having just done this (several times), I thought I would jump in. There are of course several variations of how to do this depending on how you want it to go, so I will provide some information;

Option #1
1. remove the 4 screws that hold the filler neck to the quarter panel
2. remove the rubber seal in the trunk that is around the filler tube and slide it up the tube
3. spray the rubber seal on the tank/filler tube with a penetrating oil or WD40 (let it soak)
4. remove the real valance
5. spray the nuts on the J bolt nuts with penetrating oil
6. disconnect the fuel and/or vent lines
7. remove the sending unit wire
8. brace the tank (especially if there is fuel in it)
9. remove the nuts on the J nuts
10. drop the tank along with the filler tube; it will not come all the way out due to the head of the filler tube
11. if on the ground, brace the take with your knees and using both hand twist the filler tube back and forth and work it out of the tank.

** THE DOWN SIDE OF THIS TECHNIQUE IS AS NOTED IN POINT 11; BASICALLY YOU HAVE TO MAN HANDLE THE TANK AND TUBE TOGETHER. ALSO, WHEN PULLING THE TANK DOWN WITH THE TANK, IT WILL COME OUT AT AN ANGLE WHICH CAN CAUSE ISSUES WITH THE TANK HITTING THE EXHAUST.

Option #2
1. remove the trunk seal and spray the tank/filler tube seal with penetrating oil
2. reinstall the trunk seal (this is for support)
3. remove the rear valance
4. spray the J bolt nuts
5. remove the lines and wire
6. remove the J bolt nuts
7. tilt the tank down and using it as leverage, twist it back and forth to break the seal on the filler tube
8. slide the tank off the filler tube

** DOWN SIDE TO THIS IS IF YOUR GET TO AGGRESSIVE ON TWISTING AND MOVING THE TANK, IT IS TRANSFERRING ALL OF THIS TO YOUR QUARTER PANEL; SO IF THE TANK DOSENT SLIDE OFF THE TUBE FAIRLY EASILY, YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO AHEAD AND REMOVE THE SCREWS HOLDING THE FILLER TUBE TO THE QUARTER PANEL.

It isn't hard, just hard work to a degree depending on how stubborn everything is.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline 7212Mopar

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016 - 09:13:01 PM »
I removed the fuel tank and filler tube today. I pumped out most of the fuel first and followed option 1. I also wire brushed the threads of the J bolts first to remove the build up on the threads. Draining the tank took most of the time. After that, tank out in about 15 minutes. Definitely take the screws out of the filler neck, otherwise might damage the quarter panel from the twisting.
1973 Challenger Rallye, AT with 1971 340
2012 Challenger SRT8 392 YJ,  6 spd