BARRACUDA CUDA' Question about fenders

Author Topic: BARRACUDA CUDA' Question about fenders  (Read 7600 times)

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
BARRACUDA CUDA' Question about fenders
« on: September 12, 2002 - 10:08:57 PM »
 ;D  Hey all, been gone for awhile but i'm back cause I finally found fenders for my 71' Barracuda, it's got a 340 right now and the fenders I have are non gilled.
I recently went to a car show a saw an original 340 Cuda(according to the ouner) and the fenders did not have the gilles.  My question is did all 71"Cuda's" come with gilles or was that a special option thing?I plan on getting gille inserts cause I like the look.Don't worry im not trying to pass it off as a real car and its a keeper.After all the s@#t ive gone through with this car!
Heres my plans.I work for Dodge as a tech. and I planon a 2003 5.7L, t-56 trans,Viper rear and wheels...I bet you ask why???Well I  picked up a Viper t-56 trans and planned on using it with a Crate Hemi...boring though I would try somthing different,thats what I get for thinking right  ;) I understand that Mopar muscle is doing a similar built up thats great,wish I had their budget! Anyone know if they have gilles reproduction???  Thanks in advance      C-yaaaaa  O1  

Offline Grrreen

• It's Bug Guts Grrreen!!
    • Media Dog Productions
Re:BARRACUDA CUDA' Question about fenders
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002 - 09:58:44 PM »
I figured that someone else would probably answer this thread, since I am a Chally guy...  ;D

Here's what I found:

"Just as in 1970, those 1971 Barracudas with the F60x15-inch tires used special front fenders.  This year the 'Cuda models used different fenders than those of a base Barracuda or Gran Coupe model.  'Cudas with F60x15-inch tires also required special fenders different from those 'Cudas with smaller tires.  The difference is that the 'Cuda models have provisions for four simulated air vents; these vents were listed as part number 3505460 and were held in place with two nuts apiece."

From what I have found out, every *'Cuda* in 1971 had the fender gills.  Only the base Barracuda and Gran Coupe didn't.  :o

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002 - 06:23:32 PM »
thanks for the info GRRREEN Im looking into finding a set of gills.A guy in Los angeles has a set of 8 for $900 bucks,thats the cheapest i've seen in years any one repop em?  C-yaaaa O1

Offline mustardketchup

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002 - 01:15:07 AM »
Try "Tony's Parts".  He makes reproduction gills and the section of the fender that has the four openings for the gills.  Reach him at: tonymopar@aol.com or write him at: Tony D'Agostino, 96 Red Bird Lane, Harrington, Deleware, 19952 (phone 302-398-0821).  If you need to get your fenders "punched out" for the gills (no welding involved), contact: "J & J Reproductions" at PO Box 964, Monroe, CT 06468 (phone 203-261-5604) or e-mail at: jsaranich@netmeg.net.  

Offline Kilrcuda

• M.ostley O.ver P.owered A.nd R.espected
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002 - 08:20:47 AM »
I was going to mention the same places as mustardketchup, both great for parts. Also keep your eyes open at the swap meets, I found my gilled fenders at Carlisle about 9 years ago I paid $400 for the pair. I have seen the work from the guy in monroe and it is really good.
1971 Cuda 340, auto.

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002 - 09:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,i'll be giving tony an e-mail. Vince ;D

Offline gizzard-1

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2003 - 01:42:22 AM »
If the vin is bs, not bh or bp then it should have gilled fenders.
2nd place is for the 1st place loser!
02 Ram Big and Red
73 'Cuda Yellow
70 Charger 500 Black

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003 - 10:06:18 PM »
thanks Gizz' Mine is not original.I thought all 71 'Cudas had gilles.  Vince

Offline hemi-5.7-cuda

Re: BARRACUDA CUDA' Question about fenders
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005 - 11:09:09 PM »
I got mine from Tony.

Off the subject just a little.
 I'am also putting a 5.7 L HEMI  in my cuda. My motor and tranning are from a 2005 300c.
I was wanting to replace the intake and go with the fuel injected intake and throtle body that is used on the crate motors.
I have not be able to find any one who can give me a part number for these items. Do you have any conections that can find these part numbers?

Thanks       :screwy:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005 - 11:42:15 PM »
let me see what I can find out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005 - 11:42:39 PM »
No luck here either.  My friend does alot of aluminum fabrication and is working an an adapter plate to mount a 2 bbl 5.9L throttle boby...but im looking into a 6.4L crate engine since my car is now long away from being done. I would like to make a custom FI 6 pack(3- 2bbl TB's) intake for it.        vin

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005 - 10:21:41 PM »
Mrquick,

Have you tried PG Classics. They have the repro gill inserts, backing plates, gaskets and fender patches for about $330.  I just got a repro luggage rack from them and it is nice quality. I plan on buying their inserts when I get to that point in my restoration.  Here is their website http://www.pgclassic.com/E-Bodyparts.html

Just my two cents...  Ed
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005 - 12:45:41 AM »
Thanks for the link Ed,  I did happen to find a used original set in Pomona for $175. I had to but the backing plates but I found those on ebay.  Thanks again   Vin