NZ's Charger - No Good.

Author Topic: NZ's Charger - No Good.  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
NZ's Charger - No Good.
« on: July 02, 2005 - 05:00:39 PM »

Well seems as though ANOTHER Charger has slipped through the fingers as the one in Tennessee was no good.

My friend (DW) went and had a very VERY thorough look. Here is the review from him along with HEAPS of photos.
This car looked good, but as you'll find there's nothing you should do more than get you or a friend to inspect the car.

This is straight from my email:

Carl,

Got back a little while ago. took some time to answer e mails while renaming pics I took. I took my Mom with me. On the way down the drive I asked her, well what do you think about that car. She says looks pretty nice. Well, whata ya think it's worth. Without even thinking she says 10 to 15,000. I said thank you, good answer. Did you see much wrong with it. Not really, but I am sure there was something wrong with it. I said yes there was. Notice how many pics I took of it.

Anyways, there is a description under ever pic that tells the story. Hope you post this e amil and pics at MopaRTech for some discussion. Here's my opion. It's rought in places and it's a very amature restoration. I did a better job than this on my 1st E body than this guy did on this car. He had two scruffy guys working on a Charger in the shop and I'd say those are the two doing the work.  I don't think he does anything but hun t them down, but I could be wrong. Super nice guy though.

I asked what brand rockers he put on it. He said crower and ho hummed around and said crane. I asked if he used there shafts and he said yes, then no, I don't know I bought the kit from Summit and so and so does my engine work for me. Engine is fairly strong. No shift kit at all. Real soft mushy shifts. Ran it up to 70 or 75. Could not see spedo real good. He let out of it just as a bad drivel ine vibration appeared. Very noticable. Later he got on it again and let at the same vibration point. I'd guess it's drive line. I could feel it in the seat back real bad. Seats are mushy so they have had cushions added under the covers. I could hear a growl in the rear too. May be pinion bearing going out. That could cause the drive line vibration, but with the sorry frame repairs that could cause it as well.

Frame rails are not factory replacements that he could have bought and welded in. It's like 2x3 steel like sub frame connectors are made from. Too much cheap spray can undercoating too. It's hidding a lot of rust spots. You can see that rust is already comming through the new trunk floor pans. Severe rust through where the winshield post meets the cowl area. That's a pretty good sign there is rust under the winshield that will leak water into the front floor.That may also be the reason for rust in the truck floor, unless he did not prime and prep it before putting the speckle paint in the trunk floor. Never seen that on a Charger like that either, but it might have been an option. Welds and seems are poor in the trunl floor. No trunk seals so that may be another cause for water and trunk floor rust.

After a drive and I got him to put it on the lift he went straight to the front and started wiping. He was acting as if he was cleaning the chrome oil pan. He was wipping off the leaks from the tranny, water from a freeze plug or weeping head gasket cause I never could see where it was comming from. Also the hose going into the back of the pwr steering pump was leaking. Tranny cooler lines will leak some day due to improper install. Hoses just clamped to tubbing with no barbs or compression fittings or such. Electric fan is ver nosiy and should not be needed if a regular engine fan was added.

I think the pics and captions tell the rest of the story. In my opinion, it's not wrth $25,000. I think Mom's 10 to 15,000 price is a little high, but a lot clsoer to real value. I'll let you decide that. I'm just posting the pics and the opinions on what I saw with my own two eyes. You make the call, Carl. If you have any questions I did not cover here, or the pics did not answer please ask. 

Thanks, David

Photos........Please read photo title for explantions.  :thumbs:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
Re: NZ's Charger - No Good.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005 - 05:06:28 PM »
I wouldnt buy that, for 10k   maybe  $7500.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005 - 05:13:56 PM »
  Glad for ya mate. You did the right thing asking for someone to check things out :thumbs:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005 - 08:08:43 PM »
  Glad for ya mate. You did the right thing asking for someone to check things out :thumbs:

Thanks Rusty I agree.
If I had got that and seen it person once the deal was gone I would have been spewing!!  :gripe: :pissed: :mad: :fire: :stomp:

The search continues........... :thumbs:

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005 - 09:39:12 PM »
Sorry to hear NZ.

Everything for a reason.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005 - 09:49:50 PM »
 :iagree: ;)

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005 - 08:41:49 AM »
 :o  Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005 - 02:48:12 PM »
:o  Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty rough eh!  :grinyes: :ack:

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005 - 03:24:00 PM »
Hang in there NZ. Someday your :worship: Charger and my :worship: Challenger will come along but until then we can keep dreaming  :thumbs:
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005 - 08:24:48 PM »
Hang in there NZ. Someday your :worship: Charger and my :worship: Challenger will come along but until then we can keep dreaming  :thumbs:

:thumbs: I have a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T lined up, just confirimng some things before a contract is signed.  ;)
Be about 12 months wait, but my Challenger will keep my busy until then.  ;D :beer:

What kind of Challenger are you looking for?  :)

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005 - 05:15:01 AM »
I have always liked the look of the  71 Challenger over the others, love the big  R/T stripe on the side.Plus I will be able to to have a ride with my initials right there on the side of the car  :burnout:
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005 - 08:21:23 AM »
NZ, there is a 69 Charger R/T that just became available around here...red exterior, red cloth/vinyl interior. Nice car with a 440-6 and automatic trans....I believe you can get it for the low 20's. PM me if you are intrested.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005 - 06:15:46 PM »
NZ, there is a 69 Charger R/T that just became available around here...red exterior, red cloth/vinyl interior. Nice car with a 440-6 and automatic trans....I believe you can get it for the low 20's. PM me if you are intrested.

Thanks Hemi71 but no thanks.  ;) :grinno:

Only a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T in black/black or Triple Black will get my attention.  :thumbs:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005 - 06:56:17 PM »
 Your friend did a GREAT job of showing all the problems with that car. You did the right thing, that car is a mess. Way too much sloppy work, and way too many problems still to fix. As for the price.....what's the guy smokin??  :dontknow:
 Good luck with your search.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005 - 08:30:24 PM »
Your friend did a GREAT job of showing all the problems with that car. You did the right thing, that car is a mess. Way too much sloppy work, and way too many problems still to fix. As for the price.....what's the guy smokin??  :dontknow:
 Good luck with your search.

Thanks mate.  ;)