Author Topic: 727 gasket and filter installation  (Read 2696 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
727 gasket and filter installation
« on: July 06, 2005 - 09:13:35 PM »
slapping her back together, is a cork gasket adequate to seal one of these up with? I would assume these would dry assemble and be ok but not sure - any silicone necessary?

appreciate the comments
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline matt63

Re: 727 gasket and filter installation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005 - 10:00:21 PM »
I am not sure if silicone is required but I used a little.  It must not be overapplied and get into the transmission as it could play havoc.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005 - 11:04:52 PM »
with cork I would use a small amount of silicone to seal it up

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005 - 05:29:30 AM »
both sides of gasket ? Just around the inside of the sealing ring? Do you circle the bolt holes as well? Is there a better gasket than the el-cheapo cork one?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Kowal

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005 - 12:08:54 PM »
Don't do any of this.

There is a new type of gasket, made of metal reinforced plastic that stops 727 pan leaks and uses no sealer of any kind.  It has raised ridges around the gasket that fill gaps typically left by pan distortion.

Try Mancini's on-line store to get one.  They work absolutely great!

David K

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005 - 12:54:18 PM »
Hey - I've been looking for the steel shim reinforced trans-pan gasket, but cannot find it. I'd appreciate a specific part # for the 727.. here's mancinis link to them. Descriptions say nothing about the steel reinforced.

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/rwdgasandfil.html

much appreciated!  71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Kowal

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005 - 06:21:25 PM »
I have two e-bodies and have used the gasket on both with great success.

I am pretty sure I got them from Mancini's, but I live in Detroit and just go to their showroom.  I would suggest calling them and asking about the "high tech" gaskets, which is what I think they call them.

David K

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005 - 07:14:31 PM »
If someone finds the part number for a better gasket, please post it.  I've been struggling with a leak on mine, bought new pan and replaced gasket twice!  Better each time, but still leaking!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005 - 09:02:54 PM »
mine didnt leak before but I dont want to have to pull it down again. Ditto that, if anyone has a real part number and vendor they want to share
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline matt63

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005 - 09:47:45 PM »
A few ideas here- isn't there a vent on the transmission? Perhaps that is plugged.  Also, I believe overtorquing the bolts is very easy to do.  I had leaks at the bolts used to mount the B&M cable bracket as they used spacers (if yoiu have this).  A little silicone fixed that.  The o-ring at the shifter shaft can leak also.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005 - 08:20:41 AM »
My pan is def leaking.. nothing else.. I can see it..drip....drip.............drip.

I think part of the problem is once over tighned the pan is done... cheap metal. Also, mine is lealing where the pan is "recessed" around the two bolt holes.. WHY IS IT EVEN RECESSED??? the trans body isn't. Anyway, the reg gasket seems to always squish out a little there.. hence the leak. I then bought the plastic "hi-tek" gasket which has the 2 thin rubber seals imbedded in it.. AND the problem is that this gasket does not match up well along the same recessed areas around those two bolt holes.. HELP!!

71fish

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005 - 12:01:43 PM »
 :eeksmall: I spoke w/ Manciniracaing and they do NOT sell the 727 pan gasket w/ the steel shim (ala 340 valve cover gaskets). They sell the molded plastic w. the rubber re-inforced ribs, which he agreed does not seal the 2 recessed areas I was referring to.  :ack:

If anyone knows of where to get the reinforces gasket for a 727.. pls post the link here.  :stomp: :worship: :dontknow: TIA

I need to find a pan that does not have the two recessed curves in it.. then I could use the molded plastic gasket.

71fish

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005 - 12:59:06 PM »
I think your issue is an exception to the norm. This may sound extreme but if you think the reliefs are contributing to the problem, why not fill them with lead (or bondo) and surface it down plane with the surrounding surface? Or buy one of the chrome cheapies off of Ebay. I think their gasket flanges are all flat. It sounds like you may have some warpage between the bolt holes. Have you checked your pan w/ a straight edge? 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005 - 02:11:36 PM »
mike all stock pans have 74 and under have the two recessed areas.. just take a look at one. the problem is the gaskets don't compensate for that. For example the magnum engine have the 727 pan w/o those i believe. I know the leakage may be an exception, but the recessed areas only contribute to the problem. That's all i'm saying

71fish

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005 - 04:59:25 PM »
I'm with ya. Mine has them but it didn't leak before (that I ever noticed) so I was just suggesting some alternatives. Actually it was the repro oil pans that were "unfluted". All the repro transmission pans I saw had the flutes in them. I bought a rubber gasket today and am going to go with that and torque to spec.

I have always been curious about the flutes in oil pans and trans pans. Any theories as to why they are there and the strategy behind where they decided to put them?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger