Shocks......and other suspension questions

Author Topic: Shocks......and other suspension questions  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Killer_Mopar

Shocks......and other suspension questions
« on: July 12, 2005 - 01:39:19 AM »
I have been in the need of shocks(front and rear) for a while and was wondering what brand I should get. I am looking to upgrade the handling and maybe make the car a semi-G-machine. I was wondering, what is everyone running??? I have looked into KYBs, Edelbrocks, Konis, and QA1s.....just wondering which one is the best bang for the buck and which is the best performing. Are the QA1s or Konis worth the extra cash??? I can only find a 90-10 adjustable race version of the QA1, I was wondering how good those are for the street. Also, since I am addressing the suspension....I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the torsion bars and if it was worth it. Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to know what I should do to upgrade my suspension. Thanks
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Shocks......and other suspension questions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005 - 08:58:39 AM »
I gues it depends what T bars you have now , I would use the .96 bars if it was my car & I wanted handling
90/10 shocks rae Not for Street use , I really haven`t tried anyhting but the KYB which are adequate , Konis are generally worth the extra $$ but how much better they would be over the KYB I can`t say for sure 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 70RT/SE

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005 - 01:45:49 PM »
I have the QA1 Stocker Stars on the front of my Challenger and going with the edelbrocks for the rear. One nice thing about the QA1s is the easy adjustability. I got a good deal on them on ebay. If I didnt get a good deal on the QA1s I would of gone with Konis. I upgrading to 1" bars now.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005 - 09:52:27 PM »

Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005 - 09:54:15 PM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005 - 11:43:53 AM »
Though not tested yet, I went with a suggested cheaper route for my shock selection.  I'll be using the Monroe-Matic Plus shocks first and go from there.  As for the torsion bars, I believe the .920 bars are best suited for "LA" engines while the .960 is meant more for the "B/RB" engines. (1.00 bars are suggested for solo racing only)  For stabilizer/sway bars, I've heard E-bodies handle very well with the larger 1 1/8" front bars and 3/4" or 1" bars for the rear. (1" for the "LA" engines.)  Hopefully this helped you any. (It's hard trying to build upon what Chryco has already stated.) :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin