Windshield Replacement

Author Topic: Windshield Replacement  (Read 425 times)

Offline BluRaySRT

Windshield Replacement
« on: September 21, 2023 - 12:55:45 PM »
I would like to have the windshield replaced/repaired on my ’71 Cuda Convertible.   It appears to be the original windshield, but it is very pitted and has some wiper scratches.   My understanding is that when a windshield is pitted, polishing it is not a great idea due to distortion and the weakness induced in the process. 
(I live in the Boston area and it is difficult to find someone willing to take on this job, let alone someone that has the right experience.  If someone knows a shop, please drop it in a reply. )
That said, I did find one shop that might be willing to tackle this.   However, the guy I spoke with said that because these windshields fit into a rubber gasket(?), it might be necessary to also replace that gasket if it is too old to be reused.   He also said that the company that he relied on to supply to proper adhesive for the gasket has discontinued it and he has no access to any additional adhesive.   I said I would do some research so here I am.
Here are my questions/concerns.  You guys are very knowledgeable so I would appreciate your thoughts.
1.   Does this car actually use a rubber gasket?   In posts I have read all I see is a reference to butyl tape and some spacers.  If there is a gasket, Is it likely that it would need to be replaced?
a.   Where can I find the proper adhesive?
2.   Should I at least try the polishing option before doing a replacement?
3.   Are there any important differences in replacing the windshield in a convertible vs hardtop?
Finally, although the car went through a restoration, I don’t think that the windshield was ever removed during that process.  (Can’t be sure…  it was before I purchased it)    So another concern that I have is finding rust/damage once the windshield/gasket is removed.  I’m not interested in turning this into a five figure repair.   Is there any way of knowing the condition of the metal without removing the assembly?
Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Windshield Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023 - 09:48:16 AM »
First if you haven't already, join ebodies.org as there is much more activity there.  Next I think this is much easier than you are making out to be.  I don't know of any rubber gasket around the windshield?  I think the last time I put a windshield in the convertible, it was less than $500 for the installation and the glass.  Used new material / gasket goop to seal the glass, no issues so far . .