?? for Cuda owners.....

Author Topic: ?? for Cuda owners.....  (Read 3573 times)

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
?? for Cuda owners.....
« on: July 28, 2005 - 11:53:26 PM »
.....Past or present!

I am the owner of a 70 Cuda (BS23N0B.......body numbers match the vin and the cowl!) the tail panel emblem says "Barracuda" and not "Cuda".....the car was produced in Mid August in 69....anyone else have a car that has a conflict with this?? Or has anyone seen this?? When restoring this car, I want it to be how it came from the factory, but am baffled by this!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005 - 11:57:08 PM by lemon_twist »
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline loco340cuda

Re: ?? for Cuda owners.....
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005 - 10:29:10 AM »
Sounds to me that somebody at some point in time switched out the Cuda' badge with a Barracuda badge.  I wouldn't be too concerned about it since you have verified all the numbers on the body match the VIN.  Maybe this was a factory mistake.  :dontknow:  You can always take it off and put the correct Cuda' badge on.  Does the car look like any body or paint work has been done to it?  This might give you a clue that somebody replaced the badge at some point.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005 - 10:58:31 AM »
 :iagree:

A lot can happen is 36 years.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005 - 02:30:55 PM »
 :grinno:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline tancuda

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005 - 04:49:16 PM »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005 - 08:38:02 PM »
Sounds to me that somebody at some point in time switched out the Cuda' badge with a Barracuda badge.  I wouldn't be too concerned about it since you have verified all the numbers on the body match the VIN.  Maybe this was a factory mistake.  :dontknow:  You can always take it off and put the correct Cuda' badge on.  Does the car look like any body or paint work has been done to it?  This might give you a clue that somebody replaced the badge at some point.

Unless you can determine that the barracuda nameplate was original, I'd say it was swapped by someone along the way....not too uncommon of a thing to happen.

Offline 71GTX

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005 - 10:51:52 PM »
I would think that if someone were to change from one to the other, it would be from a Barracuda to a Cuda, not the other way around.....but who knows for sure....thats why I am asking to see if anyone else has run across this situation. It looks to be stock, but I will investigate further.... :dontknow:
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Barracuda (project)
3 Harleys

Offline snowman

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005 - 11:25:26 PM »

if you think it was stock , then leave it

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005 - 11:31:31 PM »
Any metalwork done to the car? Maybe the tail panel was replaced?  :dontknow:
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005 - 05:39:27 PM »
I have a story that will fit well in this thread.  A friend of mine was planning to purchase a brand new 1970 Roadrunner.  He was 18 years old at the time.  The car was ordered and just about ready to be delivered when he found out how much the insurance was going to cost.  He called the dealership and told them he would not be able to purchase the car because the insurance was too expensive for him to afford.  They told him not to worry and they knew how to handle the situation.  They told him to go down to the dealerhip the next day.  When he arrived there, they showed him his car, now equipped with Satillite badges.  This somehow worked, and fooled the insurance company. When he turned 25 years old, the insurance company contacted him saying that they found out he didn't have a Satillite, but a Roadrunner.  By that time it didnt matter because he was able to afford the insurance on a Roadrunner.  He still has the car and attends all of the cruise nights and car shows with Joe and I.  His is a numbers matching 70 Roadrunner and I have seen the numbers myself.  He still has his RR sporting the Satillite emblems.  I will have to get some pics later this week. 

Offline MAXcuda

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005 - 06:39:59 PM »
Hmm... interesting story April.. I would be hesitant to try that these days though, probably could get busted for that.

To stay on topic: Does the tail panel have the textured paint on it?  That would lend some credibility to it being original.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005 - 08:49:13 PM »
I have questions
1 Do the doors have the 'CUDA chrome on top of them? What about the 'CUDA chrome under the quarter windows and the stock welded on studs that hold the chrome on
2 what side of the tailpanel does it say Barracuda ?
3 Does it look like the quarters, tail panel, or trunk floor have been replaced

What I'm getting at is you could have a re-bodied car or even two cars spliced together :-\
I have a car like this so I know this can happen..'CUDA in the front and Barracuda in the back :(

If it is a rebodied car then look for unusual welds on the radiator support or on top of the cowl
If it is a spliced car then look for unusual welding on the inside of the rocker panels at the driver seat or in front of the back seat.
As for a factory badging mistake. I don't think so...  Got any pics of the tail or the top of the door area

Offline 71GTX

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005 - 09:39:32 PM »
The paint appears to be the semi textured paint as the stock paint is....the emblem is to the right of the license plate, and mirrors my 70 Barracuda....The doors are removed from the car as are the quarters and the trunk pan.....I will take a closer look at the car to see if it could have had the rear half replaced.... :'( oh well if thats the case then so be it! But I will investigate further....Thanx all for the ideas to help me out on this!

(the cowl numbers and the numbers in the vin match) Where else are these cars stamped with the matching numbers??
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Barracuda (project)
3 Harleys

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005 - 11:34:19 AM »
the cowl numbers and the numbers in the vin match) Where else are these cars stamped with the matching numbers??

5 places total   (not including build sheets)

Radiator support   on top  or sometimes a little lower towards the drivers side                                    Fender tag
cowl on top also on the drivers side
VIN dash tag
Drivers side door tag (along with build date ect)

You definitly have an interesting find there but it also sounds like a little funny business might be going on
Sounds like fun :thumbs:

Offline 71GTX

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005 - 11:45:37 AM »
The broadcast sheet is missing....I have the VIN tag, Fender tag, and the numbers on the cowl, they are all matching. The numbers on the door appear to be the correct numbers, but are not the standard appearance.
I will try to find the numbers on the radiator support.

69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Barracuda (project)
3 Harleys