Author Topic: Sigh, I broke it....  (Read 555 times)

Offline rchurch

Sigh, I broke it....
« on: August 01, 2005 - 01:53:12 AM »
3 steps forward, 5 steps back.

Well, I originally wanted to post the awesome pics of my newly reassembled steering colum with all new guts & and a brand spankin new coat of paint.....

Instead  :stomp: :stomp:  :stomp: :pissed: :pissed: :madvibe: :madvibe: :mad: :mad:  :banghead: :banghead: :gripe: :gripe:

everything was going back together great (I know, bad sign). Everything was working as it is supposed as I checked it as I assembled. Then came the crush can. Lined up perfectly withe the "master slot" (I don't know what else to call that, anyway that is irrelevent). Start tapping,  & let me emphasize tapping, the can on using a metal piece of pipe. I'll cut to the chase. I enabled the crush feature of the steering column shaft. so all that work I did has been basically undone & now I have a new piece to fix. sigh :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

2 questions.

(1) Is there an easy way to pull the shaft back out if itself?
(2) anyone know of a place that sells whatever those little white plastic pieces are that go through the shafts?

I'm going to sleep  :banghead:

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Re: Sigh, I broke it....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005 - 04:02:50 AM »
To pull the can off, you need a steering wheel puller. As for installing it, line it up like you did, then use the nut on the steering column shaft to pull it into place. "tapping" it on is a very bad idea, as you found out. Should not be that hard of an item to find.

:beer: