Author Topic: Fender Flares and other questions...  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Geordie

Fender Flares and other questions...
« on: August 02, 2005 - 09:26:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm quite new at the resotoration game and I have a few questions regarding a car I'm looking at...and I'm sorry I don't have pics! lol.
 How hard is it to remove fender flares? It seems like it might be easy but I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking.. :) And what is a manual lockout transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot.

Offline 4drbrnko

Re: Fender Flares and other questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005 - 10:46:36 AM »
Depends on whether they are metal flares welded on or fiberglass add-ons. Won't know till you pull them off.  :dontknow:
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005 - 12:27:13 PM »
Georgie - are you referring to that white blown barracuda that was on ebay a couple weeks ago??  I know that guy & have seen the car in person. Those flares are metal welded on.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Geordie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005 - 05:02:07 PM »
Hey 71 fish,

Naw that's not the car I was looking at but thanks for keeping an eye out! The one I'm interested is red and in Michigan. If the flares are welded on are they difficult to remove?

Offline paintshop101

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005 - 07:51:42 AM »
The addition of fender flares almost always destroys the sheetmetal beneath... plan on the probability of replacing the quarter panels and fenders. Patching the wheel lip areas is one of the more difficult things to do when working the sheetmetal of the body of the car... its a much neater job to replace the entire part. Were the original wheel lips cut out to make more room for big tires? What about the outer wheel houses on the rear? Were they cut? I'd have to say that removing flares is likely a job for a professional.

Offline Geordie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005 - 03:29:32 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys, especially paintshop. I think this car is a little over my head so I'm going to let it go...

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005 - 05:57:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys, especially paintshop. I think this car is a little over my head so I'm going to let it go...

Don't forget to "share the wealth" with all your new online buddies if you decide to pass on it, one of us might like a shot at it.  ::)
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Offline Geordie

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005 - 06:31:17 PM »
Good call 4dr. Here she is...http://cudaworld.com/adDetail.asp?cat_id=11&sub_id=0&ad_id=931

the owner said it needs both rear frame rails replaced, new trunk, starter, gas tank and a lot of other misc stuff. I think the body work is out of my league considering the rails and fenders. But take a look and see what you guys think. :grinyes:

Offline jasonmtcsn

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006 - 12:45:32 AM »
 I want to install fender flares on a 72' cuda. Can you purchase them anywhere, or do they have to be fabricated at a metal shop? :undercar: