Need Mechanical Direction

Author Topic: Need Mechanical Direction  (Read 1058 times)

Offline gcone

Need Mechanical Direction
« on: August 02, 2005 - 04:04:28 PM »
I recently "inherited" (long story) a 1972 Hemi Cuda.  It is a super clean "Correct Clone" in need of completion. I have done/own numerous Chevelles and Camaros, so a MOpar is all new to me.  For starters, I am looking for someone who can answer a list of questions and perhaps point me in the direction of a craftsman to complete this car.  I won't list all the specifics here, but most are quite minimal. I am located in Southern Minnesota.   Help pleeeeeez? :banghead: :)
71 Tored Plymouth Hemi Cuda Rec.
69 Hemi Orange Dodge Charger RT
70 Calypso Coral Ford BOSS 302 Rec.
71 Bright Red Dodge Demon 340
70 Red Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible (L78)
05 Black C6 Vette Convertible
07 Black Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible
07 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
08 Black Dodge Challenger...on order@12/04/07

Offline gcone

Re: Need Mechanical Direction
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005 - 04:05:34 PM »
correction:   already a typo on origonal message-it's a 1971.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005 - 04:12:03 PM »
 :grinyes:  Glad you corrected that, I was going to suggest calling Burpin and discussing this with him! Long story, you'll have to do a search for 72 HEMI Cuda and you will find the whole story!! Good luck, sounds like an awesome car!

Offline gomangoRT/SE

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005 - 04:33:23 PM »
WElcome to the board..............like you I had done Chevelles and Camaros these past 12 years or soo.........i was long ago a Mopar man growing up...........I am pretty picky on doing things right and putting a nicely detailed ride together.......probably why I take a little longer than most...........at any rate should you want any ideas or suggestions gimme a ring........i would be happy to put in my 2 cents worth..........i have put together Corvettes, Chevelles and Camaros and I have researched much in putting my current project together..........   Kevin   bbh@vci.net     should you have any specific questions.....

Offline gcone

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005 - 05:18:51 PM »
Thanks for compliment and replies.

gomangoRT/SE:  Appreciate your offer...I'm at home right now, so will shoot you a few detailed questions on engine tuning when I return to my office later this evening (on computer @ home and it is god-awful  :worthless:...

One general question for everyone:  What can one do to shore up the ride quality and handling with a torsion-bar front end and a that big 'ol hemi sitting on top of it?  I do have front and rear stabilizerbar from YearOne to put on it.  Will a heavier bar (the Hemibar) improve it that much?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005 - 06:39:59 PM »
we can answer virtually any or all ?? here
 I could resto the car for you if you wanted to get it here
 the bigger T bars will help , gusseting the steering box mount , welding a plate under the lower control arms & using C body tie rods & sleeves will make a big difference in handling , bigger sway bar helps too as does flat rear springs , there is lots that can be done to improve the handling to the point of getting  over .9 gs in cornering without drastic mods

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005 - 09:17:26 PM »
Just one more to go with CP's list, poly bushings including upper control arms, lower control arms, strut rod bushings and idler arm bushing. Those would help stiffen things up too.  :thumbs:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005 - 07:36:06 AM »
Welcome to the board Gcone!  If you go to the "Tech" section on the forum, you can ask any question you may have down there.  It WILL be answered!  If not by our very own tech guru, Chryco Psyco, then one of our many abled members will answer it for you. 

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005 - 07:01:22 PM »
One general question for everyone:  What can one do to shore up the ride quality and handling with a torsion-bar front end and a that big 'ol hemi sitting on top of it?  I do have front and rear stabilizerbar from YearOne to put on it.  Will a heavier bar (the Hemibar) improve it that much?
One of best things to do is seal up the K Frame and possibly add support to the steering box area.

Offline gcone

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005 - 04:22:32 PM »
...thanks everyone for your ideas-I'll slide over to the tech section. Tx again.