Author Topic: Brakes and suspensions: c=would someone please summarize....?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline gcone

Brakes and suspensions: c=would someone please summarize....?
« on: August 02, 2005 - 05:48:01 PM »
Lots of valid opinions and expiriences shared in this category...but would someone please answer this question:

I have a 71 Hemi Cuda-am adding a Tremec 5spd and need to upgrade the brakes and suspension...price is not an issue.  What or how should I set up my car?
71 Tored Plymouth Hemi Cuda Rec.
69 Hemi Orange Dodge Charger RT
70 Calypso Coral Ford BOSS 302 Rec.
71 Bright Red Dodge Demon 340
70 Red Chevrolet Chevelle SS Convertible (L78)
05 Black C6 Vette Convertible
07 Black Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Convertible
07 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
08 Black Dodge Challenger...on order@12/04/07

Offline CFster

Re: Brakes and suspensions: c=would someone please summarize....?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005 - 03:56:23 PM »
I feel like I'm spamming for this guy, but it's really a great product.

Money really wasn't an object in our case either - and we did a Tremec too.

FYI, he offers them with a sway bar now as well:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10347.0

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005 - 04:39:36 PM »
Hey gcone, from what I've heard Cfster is right, onebadhemi has the alterkation suspension as well, you could PM him too. If you want to keep it stock, I read through some good info on the earlier post you did and there are some great ideas that will make it work and save a bunch of money too. If money isn't an issue, I'd go with one of these Alterkation suspensions in a heartbeat! One other thing, I would install weld in style frame rail connectors and some torque boxes too, can't ever get it too stiff! .  :thumbs:

Offline gcone

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005 - 09:38:38 AM »
The front end has been updated with all urethane bushings, and am installing front and rear atabilizer bars today.
One of you guys mentioned about adding support to the steering box by adding some gussets...what would the reason be for this...eliminate potential flexing?

Not sure if you caught it in another post I had, but these Mopars all new to me.  Have done and own numerous rotisserie restorations on Chevelles and Camaros (even a d@mned Boss 302 :o, so this requires a new learning curve)!  While I am accustomed to the suspension charactoristics and potential on the GM's, I alos acknowledge dome of the limiting factors in Mopars system...guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm spoiled with the Chevy ride and handling, yet would like to improve the Cuda as muchas realistically possible.

Offline gcone

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005 - 09:41:15 AM »
CFster:  thanks for the link to AlterKation...have check it out before - it certainly looks like the "cats-meow".  May end up going that route eventually...

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005 - 12:47:10 PM »
aving seen the alter K in person and spoken to bill personally - it would be your best move... call him and he'll help ya out - no hi pressure sales.. but if you fit into what the alter K is for he'll sell it to ya!

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005 - 12:49:46 AM »
The front end has been updated with all urethane bushings, and am installing front and rear atabilizer bars today.
One of you guys mentioned about adding support to the steering box by adding some gussets...what would the reason be for this...eliminate potential flexing?

By sealing the K Frame you are eliminating a lot of flex.  The K Frame top and bottom is basically just spot welded together so both pieces are able to flex independently of each other.  Welding them together makes them more like one piece construction.  You mentioned what you did to the front end, but not the rear execpt the bar, have you done anything else to the rear?  Check out this link.

http://www.firmfeel.com/reinfkfram_e.htm

The above link is for reference only, if you have a welder then the $$$ is basically nothing.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2005 - 10:46:15 AM by FY1 RT SE »