727 shift problem..

Author Topic: 727 shift problem..  (Read 1395 times)

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
727 shift problem..
« on: August 04, 2005 - 09:43:55 AM »
Hi, I've got a problem with my gearbox. It's a 727. The problem is, It won't change gear until I drive at a certain speed. It will not change from 1st to 2nd until i drive in 30 mph, and won't change to 3rd before I reach 45 mph. This is during normal driving. That makes me stuck in 2nd gear when cruising, and that makes high rpm's and a high fuel bill. The engine is a stock 340. The carb is a Edelbrock Preformer 750 vacum sec. I know the carb is a bit big, but I tried it on becouse it drank to much fuel with the 30 year old Carter C-4-AVS. Btw, It shifted beautifuly with the Carter. Maybe the kickdown linkage has something to do with this? Any ideas? the rear end is a 8-3/4 with 4.10 gears. It also still uses alot of fuel,  9,85 miles pr gallon last time i fueled. My brother's 69 mustang with a 400+ hp 351 windsor uses less.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 727 shift problem..
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005 - 09:59:41 AM »
you can shorten the kick down link to make it shift earlier but it may not shift correctly after often an internal setting is off in the governor as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005 - 11:41:06 AM »
make sure your kickdown is adjusted right, to do this you wire the throttle at WOT and adjust the tranny kickdown untill it is at WOT too (as far as it will go without binding) then, unwire and see how she works. When installing a Edelbrock, you sometimes have to put a bolt in the back of the kickdown slot to get this right :thumbs:
then, run 2 return springs, one on th ecarb linkage, and one on the kickdown. Let em see If I can find a pic of my 318, it aint that beutifull, but it works perfectly. :thumbs:

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005 - 11:45:02 AM »
Im back, this may be too big, but you can zoom in to the bolt and such.. :thumbs:

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005 - 11:47:27 AM »
oh, yeah, if this was something nice? I buy the napa GM dual spring, and hook the outer spring to the carb, and the inner to the kickdown. :thumbs:

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005 - 02:44:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My kickdown linkage had the dual spring setup with the Carter, but I did'n put on both springs when I installed the edelbrock. It also had the bolt in the linkage. I've just switched carb to a Holley 600 cgf now to se if it will drink a little less. Haven't connected the kickdown linkage yet, will do it tomorrow. The gear changes was a bit smoother with the holley, but it still have the same shiftpoints as it did on the edelbrock. So that might indikate that the linkage was not installed at WOT on the eddy?
Member of The Rapid Transit System

dodgetkboy78

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005 - 12:18:41 AM »
sounds more like it was not returning all the way.

Dont expect better mileage with a Holley, unless the eddie was way out of tune. :thumbs:

Offline Fishy68

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005 - 09:34:42 PM »
sounds more like it was not returning all the way.

Exactly. It's pushed too far back and not returning. Put the extra return spring back on and adjust it so it's not pushing so far back when you get on the gas and it'll shift sooner.

Dont expect better mileage with a Holley, unless the eddie was way out of tune. :thumbs:

Agree again. I've ran both and when they are properly tuned will result in about the same mileage.

Your biggest problem is the 4:10 gears. They're great for takeoff but no good for gas mileage.
68 Cuda. 360/727 4:10 SG.
02 Dakota Sport 4.7/auto