My '68 Charger Project

Author Topic: My '68 Charger Project  (Read 2205 times)

Offline gb70

My '68 Charger Project
« on: August 09, 2005 - 08:17:16 PM »
I did not mean to steal another thread so I will start this up for anyone interested in checking out my latest project.  Don't worry I still have a kick ass E Body.

Here are some recent pics of my '68 Charger I am currently restoring back (my way).

Before

during (body and metal work)

after paint

As you can see a donor drivers side rear 1/4 was needed,work to the same side rocker,

Here is the old 1/4 and I used a piece of it so I could do a patch on the other side lower 1/4

and a partial trunk pan was welded in.

after paint

That was the areas in serious need of metal work on the Charger.  I took a part the Charger and bagged, tagged, and took note of what I felt was needed to take notes of.

Later, I stripped the paint using an aircraft stripper.  It took a long time.  I first stripped the car down and then removed fenders, doors, hoods, and did all those off the car inside out.
Later, I did the exterior and then the interior.  The guy that had the car before me used Dynomat on the floors, and I had to use a heat gun and scraper to remove it all from the floor pans.

Then I used the stripper to remove the factory paint.

Next came the metal work that required welding. 
new 1/4

Then it was on to the body and getting it ready to spray primer inside of my garage.  I made a half ass paint booth and went to it.

I worked on b blasting the rear end, k member, and a bunch of other parts.

I rebuilt the front end after the parts were finished coated.

BEFORE

I decided to use polyurethane bushings, hemi size torsion bars and and a hemi size sway bar to the front, while the back I added new hemi leaf springs,

new shocks, new gas tank, and 3/8" fuel lines to feed my new stroker.

I also changed the drums up front to Disk using PST parts.  New SST brake lines were installed, and I had to modify the steering shaft to make it the right size (shortened it up) to be used with a new power steering unit.  The car had a manual steering box (ick).  I bought and installed a new universal coupler, it needed a specific size in order to be used for power steering.

Down below the car I blew on some new chassis black paint to the factory undercoating.

First I had to make a big mess using my power sprayer to get all the dirt and grime off.  Later, I masked off this surface and primered, and painted the rails to match the color of the exterior.

I also had gotten Matt Delaney to build me a 472" stroker using a 400 block.   
I also sent out the rear end, and the tranny to get rebuilt.  I added posi to the rear and changed out the gears to 3:54's.  I also sent out the dash cluster to get rebuilt, calibrated, refaced, and the clock turned into quartz timed movement. The Charger has been through a whole lot to this point.
The car got out of my buddies paint shop where I chose a color that has a Mecedes Benz, Viper, combo silver, with deep metallic flakes.  It was shot with a pearl coat to give it a very deep look.

Now the fun begins building it all back together.  I have chosen to go with a red interior in place of the black.  I think that it will look real sharp inside of the silver outside paint.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005 - 10:06:06 PM by gb70 »

mopar_guy333

Re: My '68 Charger Project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:22:27 PM »
wow that car is looking great!!  :thumbs: i still cant get over your shop either lol.nice.keep us posted hope everything works out how its suppose to.
Mopar_Guy

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:35:20 PM »

That looks fantasic mate, your doing a great job.  :D :drool: :grinyes: Amazing at what can be hiding under a lik of paint.
I thought the car in the before photos was a solid and well maintained car, boy was I wrong.  :grinyes: :grinno:

Thanks for posting the photos mate.  :thumbs:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:40:38 PM »
Very cool '68!!!!  I love that silver paint and a red interior would look awesome with it!!! :thumbs:  Keep at it.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:43:19 PM »
Can we get a 56k warning in the title?  All the pics killed me.  Still, some nice eye candy. :thumbs:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:45:11 PM »
Can we get a 56k warning in the title?  All the pics killed me.  Still, some nice eye candy. :thumbs:

But about 90% of the photos are small?  :dontknow: :???:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005 - 08:59:24 PM »
That is beautiful. A well developed plan well executed. :beer: Can i be your apprentice :wave:

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002