1968 Coronet 500 Convertible Project - $3500 or Trade

Author Topic: 1968 Coronet 500 Convertible Project - $3500 or Trade  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Old Moparz

• Larks' Tongues In Aspic
1968 Coronet 500 Convertible Project - $3500 or Trade
« on: August 10, 2005 - 10:25:22 AM »
1968 Coronet 500 Convertible - $3500 or Trade for some needed items.

Overall view of car:

Driver's side frame & torque box:

It's somewhat rough & needs quite a bit, but it's also a lot more complete than a lot of other project cars I keep seeing. It's better than, & more than just a parts car, & if I didn't have several other projects going it wouldn't be for sale at all. I'd rather see someone do something with it than for me to hold on to it & never get to it.

It's a 318 car, automatic on the column, power top & steering. It was red, black top & black interior. I never checked to see if the drive train was the original & probably won't since I can't find the time. Right now the car has a lot of replacement sheet metal, both used OEM & repro that I've gathered. It didn't run when I got it & I never tried to start it, & I would safely assume it was off the road for several years before I got it & will need a complete rebuild. I've had it about 8 or 9 years since I dragged it home. All glass is good except the windshield has a crack.

Due to rust, it needs both quarters at the lower half, a tail light panel, passenger compartment floors on the front left & right, & frame rail & torque box repair or replacement in both front rails. The rear trunk pan is amazingly solid as well as the rear frame rails. All the convertible hydraulics, roof system, & pumps are there, but I don't know the condition. The roof latches are missing, the bench seat is missing, the tail lights are missing & it will need 2 door panels. Some of the car was sanded & stripped by the previous owner & never sealed. That means surface rust all over, but not holes & cancer.

The good points are what is now on & with the car. It has a complete drive train & suspension in it from the air cleaner to the oil pan, & from the front to the rear. What I have for it is as follows:

2 Solid front fenders (on the car) & one minor rust original one.
Solid front valance between the grille & bumper.
One of the 2 bumpers, I forget which.
Good solid hood, just surface rust with no damage on the underside.
2 original doors with the unique convertible vent window frames & glass.
Coronet 500 inside door badges.
Solid & clean replacement tail light panel.
Solid & clean trunk lid.
Rear convertible seat. (the back rest & seat bottom from a '68 Satellite convertible)
Left & right rear interior convertible panels with vinyl panels & trim.
Tail panel, aluminum trim panel.
Grille & headlight bezels with the "500" trim. & spare grille.
Year One left & right floors.
Rocker mouldings.
Stock AM Radio. (condition unknown)
Base of the roof trim, chrome & stainless.
Full factory OEM used quarter panel, with frame rail & wheel house.
The dash pads are all there, but if I recall the top pad has a crack.

There's probably some more, but this is all from memory right now. There is no title or transferable registration, just a bill of sale. No fender tag or build sheet, but it has the VIN on the dash. I would strongly suggest seeing it in person before making a decision. I do have a lot of pictures, so here's a link. I don't have photos of the rest of the parts, but will try to add more in the near future.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oldmoparz/album?.dir=f22d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I saw another '68 Coronet on eBay in the same shape sell for about $3500, but it didn't have the replacement sheet metal with it. There's one on eBay right now for a lot more money, look up item #4567067397. I don't want to part it since that would take a long time, & if I don't have a buyer, a friend of mine will let me stash it in his barn indefinitely. I like that idea so I can keep it, but it will become one of those "Cars in Barns" stories somewhere down the road after I croak.

Asking $4000 for everything & I will not sell parts or part the car. I have a trailer if you're reasonably close, & can work out possible delivery but only if you see it in person before hand & buy it.

PM here, or email is fine, but posting questions on the forum here will only get you at the bottom of the list since I don't check back here much.
My email is: oldmoparz@yahoo.com

Thanks, Bob

PS, Just in case you're wondering, no, the car cannot be driven. Plan on a flatbed truck or trailer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005 - 03:12:19 PM by Old Moparz »
Newburgh, New York - 12550

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline Old Moparz

Re: 1968 Coronet 500 Convertible Project - $3500 or Trade
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005 - 03:13:11 PM »
Update - 10-19-05

Instead of an outright sale, I'm willing to consider trading for various parts, or parts plus cash. I don't want to trade for any whole cars because I have absolutely no place to keep them, but I'd consider a '69 Charger body. The reason being, it would allow me to replace the '68 Charger I currently have by selling that one. I also can't trade "up" to something with more value, (meaning my Coronet+Cash) because I don't want to use up any of the budget I planned for my other cars at this time.

Here's a basic overview of what parts I'd be interested in:

1969 Daytona Charger nose parts, repro or original (Nose cone, headlight doors, brackets, etc.)

1969 Plymouth Satellite/Road Runner front bumper, brackets & turn signals

1971 Plymouth Barracuda parts (doors, fenders, grille, etc.)

Also would consider 392 Hemi motor in rebuildable condition.

Thanks, Bob

Walking is good for you. It's documented that for every minute you exercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005 - 09:03:42 PM »
I just might know where a 392 is just layin around
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005 - 09:29:56 PM by 4cruzin »
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline YoungGun426

• Moto Soccer moms Hot, Moto moms hotter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005 - 06:45:55 PM »
where the H*** is that hemi i'll. If you own it I ll pay cash for it.$$$$$$$
YoungGun

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005 - 08:17:22 PM »
you said something about cash                   pm me an offer
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005 - 06:55:11 PM »
50 for the list of all of  the ones you know of and cash for any you own. I am a small town dumb a$$ so tell me what does pm me a offer mean. One more question how does it make you feel to take money from a 15 yeat old?
YoungGun

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005 - 09:08:22 PM »
I am a small town smart asss :D     the more $ it is the better I'll feel  ;)          I recently learned pm  means personal message, I feel better
now that I've made you smarter ;D

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005 - 06:18:21 PM »
good for you, but you never A my Q do you own any you want to sell or do you know where one is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YoungGun

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005 - 08:03:42 PM »
YoungGun...the old saying might apply here... "you'll get more with honey than vinegar."
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005 - 08:08:06 PM »
I have 2 at my disposal, not owned by me, but for sale to me only for some wierd but appreciated reason. thats why I said make me an offer
because both guys are gonna want something from me other than $ so its gotta be worth my aggravation.

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005 - 08:14:52 PM »
YoungGun...the old saying might apply here... "you'll get more with honey than vinegar."
   ...   ...   ....   .....   ..   ..

good one REV.   I don't mind some verbal sparring, my skin is thick enough.    don't forget the other old saying " $ talks bullslhit .......doesn't"

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005 - 08:32:26 PM »
what is your request ($). And its bull**** walks
YoungGun

Offline HEMI HUNTER

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005 - 09:20:39 PM »
my father's got a cane made out of bullnuts sometimes I walk with it

seriously.....  these things are worth diffrent amounts to diffrent people, the old HOT ROD guys will pay dearly for them, and I got no compasion for any feel good storys or "I only got one leg, gimme a break".........I hope its the right one :D   

I said that cause I know a MOPAR guy that only has one leg and he hauls cars,  when he's at a car show trying to sell a car he's in a wheelchair
 with the prosthetic leg off.   nice guy though   

Offline YoungGun426

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005 - 01:10:13 PM »
all right I see how it is, so would you tell me where I can get a block and will 354 parts fit a 392 block.?
YoungGun

Offline Old Moparz

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005 - 10:17:25 AM »