Author Topic: Aftermarket swaybar kits - recommendations please  (Read 1197 times)

Offline OzCuda

Aftermarket swaybar kits - recommendations please
« on: August 10, 2005 - 06:31:58 PM »
So the Barracuda handles like a whale and it needs a bit of aftermarket assistance.  I believe you can get aftermarket front and rear bolt-in swaybar upgrades but looking for recommendations / what people are running / need to fit front and/or rear??  Thanks.
'70 Barracuda

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

Re: Aftermarket swaybar kits - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005 - 08:51:36 PM »
Hi Ozcuda,
  Firm Feel, the same guys that make the beefed up steering gearboxes, sell both
front and rear bars that use the factory style mounting. They can also get you
a rear bar for a b-body axle housing in a e-body car using the factory type
mounts from what I've been told. I think their site is www.firmfeelinc.com. If your
into upgrading your suspension without going the full-bore alter-K-tion route, you might
find their site interesting. Me, I've got a long way to go before I get to play
with the cool stuff!(Still in the sheet metal nightmare stage!!) Goodluck! :thumbs:  Jeff

71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005 - 09:59:04 PM »
Mt.St.BigBlock, I'd highly suggest using the factory style rear sway bar setup to ensure you don't tear the aftermarket style's U-bolt out of the frame rail.  I believe Mancini Racing or MagnumHP both carry the factory style mounting hardware for just about any size sway bar you desire. 7/8,1, or 1 1/8 for the front and 3/4, 7/8, 1" for the rears.  Good luck with it all.  I'm currently looking at my sway bar options as I'd like to get the best handling possible with a factory setup K-frame system.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Mt.St.BigBlock

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005 - 11:08:36 AM »
Mt.St.BigBlock, I'd highly suggest using the factory style rear sway bar setup to ensure you don't tear the aftermarket style's U-bolt out of the frame rail. I believe Mancini Racing or MagnumHP both carry the factory style mounting hardware for just about any size sway bar you desire. 7/8,1, or 1 1/8 for the front and 3/4, 7/8, 1" for the rears. Good luck with it all. I'm currently looking at my sway bar options as I'd like to get the best handling possible with a factory setup K-frame system.

The Firm Feel set up I saw had the factory style frame brackets, not the u-bolt crap that other
aftermarket suppliers have. They have pictures on their web site that clearly show the type
brackets they include in their kits. I'm going to need a "custom"  bar. One that is the correct
length for a b- body rear end, but has the "straight perpendicular" in the right spot for the
e-body frame rail brackets. I am planning on reusing my factory rear brackets if they clean up the way I want them. I must agree with you, I believe there's plenty "bang for the buck"
with a updated, reinforced factory-K set-up. Thank you for the heads up on the u-bolt frame
hardware deal though!! :thumbs:  Jeff

71 cuda 383 3spd manual gy9

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005 - 01:24:38 PM »
Opps, I meant to have written OzCuda instead of you, Mt.St.BigBlock. ::)  Well, that'll help you out with future plans anyways. :thumbs: :beer:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005 - 07:57:43 PM »
I'm still a ways off from needing sway bars, but I have been kicking around custom built circle track style bars.  They require some fabrication but the size options are endless. 
{oo/===\oo}

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 - 08:35:05 AM »
I have a set of front and rear Firm Feel sway bars.  They look awesome, have grease zerts for the bushings, and both install like factory originals.  I can't comment on the performance yet since my car has a long way to go before it moves on its own.