Author Topic: What a shame  (Read 1121 times)

Offline justin16440

What a shame
« on: September 21, 2005 - 06:30:58 PM »

I am the proud owner of a 74 Cuda and love all things mopar. I enjoy the car shows, the web-sites, magazines and collaborating with fellow mopar fans. I often hear or read about guys who find hidden jewels and rescue them (for cheap)from deep dark places. Like them I am alway on the look out for hidden treasures and recently stumbled upon one myself (or so I thought). Driving through a near by town, I noticed a 70 cuda's tail light under a ripped up old tarp. Figuring the car couldn't mean much to the owner, I stopped and knocked on the door. The owner was nice enough when he opened the door, but immediatlely said it's not for sale. He did however offer me a look. Under the old tarp rusting away in the driveway, sat a black on black 70 440 cuda all original in realtively good condition. The guy said that he has had the car since it was new and was just not interested in selling it. I gave him my number incase he ever changed his mind. So I'm bummed out and call my buddy to tell the story. He listens sympathetically and then shared his similare misfortune. On the way to a job site he noticed a grand coupe cuda, red with black 383 billboard striping sitting in someone's driveway with 4 flat tires and no tarp. Like me, thinking he's found his hidden jewel, he knocked on the guys door and asked if the car was for sale. No up close peek at this one, the guy was an a$$hole, said he'd had the car since highschool, would never sell it and slammed the door in my buddies face.
So I haven't found my hidden jewel yet ... that's OK , I'll enjoy the hunt. What is intolerable though are the guys out there letting cars like that just sit and rot when they could be restored, preserved treated with thre respect they deserve !!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: What a shame
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005 - 09:43:18 PM »
Nice story!  Some guys are nice . . . some are not.  I guess if ou leave the car sitting long enough, after 100 knocks on the door . . . it'd be gettin' old!  But really you gotta try . . .all they can do is say NO.  Just never know!      

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005 - 05:18:05 AM »
Thats how I bought a 69 Charger RT/SE many moons ago.....perseverence!
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005 - 08:29:48 AM »
Welcome to the board Justin.  Just think...if you had to knock on 100 doors and got lucky just once, wouldn't it be worth it??  Heck yeah!  Keep at it. 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline CHARGER_FAN

• Undercover Charger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005 - 06:38:33 PM »
I first spotted this Charger sitting in this very same spot in 1984...it looked like it had been there at least 3 years before that. I knocked on the door & the old lady who answered said "it's my Son's car & he won't sell".
I asked a few more times, when I had some money, but always got the same answer. I stopped asking after a while, because I couldn't afford to get it even if he decided to sell it...but I would drive by in now & then just to see it.
Last year I took this picture...this summer, I drove by one day & it was GONE!! I knocked on the door & discovered the house empty. Apparently the lady had died & the kids cleaned out the house, took the car away & the place was up for sale.

I didn't persue it one inch further, because at this time I still can't afford to ask, so why torment myself?
I'm still tormented.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005 - 08:54:41 PM by 4cruzin »

'70 Charger 500

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005 - 07:29:29 PM »
Welcome aboard Justin.
It a shame to see these beauties just sitting and returning to Mother earth. Maybe it's that people get locked in the past and can't see the pleasure it would bring someone to build there dreams. They just hold on to what they once had.
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 - 07:20:12 PM »
thats a shame  :( looks fixable!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005 - 10:43:11 PM »
There was a 68 road runner sitting in the street just around the corner from my house looked abandoned so my ex went up to the door and knocked on it! an older woman answered the door he asked if the car was for sale and she said she didn't own it that it belonged to her son. She would ask him when he got home. So my ex went back the next day with some cash and apparently the son hadn't come home but owed the mother some money so she sold my ex the car! We are chally people I don't know what he wanted with a road runner but he bought the car(kind of a peice of junk) so if you keep at it things do come through AND green stuff talks!!!! keep trying!!!