Author Topic: 1970 Cuda in need of help!!!  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
Re: 1970 Cuda in need of help!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005 - 07:59:41 PM »
cool glad you got it figured!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline stwheels

• "The Steering Wheel Guy" www.stwheelz.com
    • "The Steering Wheel Guy"
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005 - 12:13:55 AM »
hey super thanks for the location on the Radiator Vin It matches BI I56753 this is the same as on the cowl. I don't know but I've been told that these are the Last eight digits. I was told that the B and the I are transposed on purpose and that means that it is a 71 out of dodge main. Now I need to find out info about the engine then I can try to track down any record of the vin number. the complete number should be BS23HIBI56753.

OK to start with lets go over what the VIN numbers mean, and because we don't have a complete VIN , Fender tag or Build sheet we can only tell what year the car was built, the plant it was built at and it's sequence number.

First off, the numbers stamped on the rad support and the cowl are : B 1 156753

When these numbers were stamped at the factory they reversed the B and the 1 . if you had a fender tag or dash VIN tag it would read 1B156753.

The 1 indicates the car was built for the 1971 production year not 1970.

The B indicates the car was built at the Hamtramck, Michigan plant

The 156753 tells us the car was the 56,753rd  car built at that plant for the 1971 production year. This would translate to the car being built on or around the end of September 1970. 1971 production started on Aug 2/1970.

Now without a tag (dash or fender) and no Build sheet there is no way to know anything more about the car than what I just  posted. The exception is if you find the matching 8 numbers on the engine block. Then you will know what displacement engine it came with.

If the numbers on the engine block match those on the cowl/rad support you may be able to figure out what model of Plymouth E-body you have.

Because BS cars could only be had with certain displacements it could only be a Cuda (BS) if the matching number engine is a 340 block, a 440 block or a 426 block.

If the numbers matching block is a 383 then it means the car could have been a Barracuda (BH) a Gran Coupe (BP) or a Cuda (BS) because all 3 models were available with that size engine (383 2bbl or 383 4bbl in the BH and BP cars or 383 4bbl in the BS cars)

If the numbers matching block is a 318 then it means the car could have been a Barracuda or a Gran Coupe.

How much of the original interior is intact? Have you looked in the upright portion of the front seats behind the plastic backs?

Post more pictures when you geta chance and strip the entire interior, even the headliner. You may be surprised what you find!

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
web site: http://members.shaw.ca/stwheels/index.htm
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005 - 12:17:59 AM by stwheels »

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005 - 09:41:37 AM »
The engine that is in the car is a 1973' 318 ( not original) The interior is just the back seat top and bottom, and the steering wheel and colum. The shifter is on the colum. nothing else on the interior no front seats, no headliner, no dash, ect.
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline b5blueaar

• Mad Max Cuda
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005 - 09:41:39 PM »
look in the springs of the bottom of the rear seat. i have found many build sheets there.

Offline cooda

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005 - 09:45:42 PM »
So it is NOT a 70 after all- I noticed on my 70 that the "0B" on the VIN tag is reversed as "B0" on the cowl and radiator support. Glad to learn that this is normal. the B means the car was made at the Hamtramck, Michigan plant. There is also a place in the trunk where some cars , but not all, were stamped with the VIN.

Charles
70 black/black "R" Code Hemicuda, automatic, Super Trac Pac 4.10 Dana, pdb
67 Top Flight Corvette 4 speed silver small block #s roadster
2002 6 speed silver Pontiac Trans Am SLP Firehawk
2008 Red Z06 Corvette
2002 Blue Lexus SC-430 retractable HT- Wife's car