1970 Cuda in need of help!!!

Author Topic: 1970 Cuda in need of help!!!  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
1970 Cuda in need of help!!!
« on: September 22, 2005 - 02:38:42 PM »
Where should I start the car is full of rust. I want to know where I can get the best body parts. i.e. fenders, front clip, grille,  ect...
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: 1970 Cuda in need of help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005 - 03:41:18 PM »
Looks to me like the first place to start is sending that thing to the Media blasting co and stripping it down so you have a clean start.  Then I would determine what parts are needed and make the list.  Alot of body panels are available here:

http://www.shermanparts.com/index.php

Then its time for the fun to begin!!  lol   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005 - 09:02:02 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005 - 04:07:48 PM »
I agree with 4c!!
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005 - 04:51:28 PM »
Hi Sal!

Do you want to build it stock or a little not stock?  Do you have a fender tag or VIN # to work off of or does it matter?  You have a blank slate so skies the limit! (Also $!)
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005 - 02:44:33 AM »
I want to do it mostly stock but I have no numbers that I can find. I need help locating places to look for the last six of the vin. If no numbers then the car will be getting door popers for keyless entry, Dakota digital gauges, black leather interior with sassy grass exterior with two black stripes going up into the dual intakes. It will also get a Billboard that Says either 340, 440, or 500 depending what I decide to go with for the power plant. any ideas on vin numbers please help or if any ideas for the car let me know.
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005 - 05:43:22 AM »
I'm assuming that you have no dash pad....if not, look on the cowl between the openings in the center area of the cowl. You may have to clean off gunk and paint to really read the numbers. There are also numbers stamped on the radiator core support cross member (the top one). The motor has a pad on the oil pan rail that should have numbers stamped in it. I believe that pad is on the passenger side. You should see something like BS23H0B123456. There are programs on the internet you can download to decode the vin (which only tells you basic stuff).

You'll have to find a vin number to register and title the car. The vin won't tell you anything about the options. You may find a build sheet under one of the seats (as in put between the springs and foam). The fender tags listed the options. There are no surviving corporate records, so no build sheet or fender tags means no documentation on options. You might try finding earlier owners to see if you can figure out what the car had.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 - 07:01:43 AM »
Definately agree with Steve.  The only starting place since you don't have a fender tag is try to find the VIN, the only #s that'll give your car an identity.  If my memory serves me right, I think the #s on the block on the passsenger side rail will only give the last 8 or so digits from the VIN, not the whole VIN.  I saw some of the newer pics on the newbie section and think you can find something on the cowl or radiator support , as Steve mentioned.  Let us know the #s.  It would be soo cool to see what your car started life as.  AAR 'Cuda????  One can only dream at this point!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 - 07:28:39 AM »
What are you planning to do for a vin number to register it?I would get that figured out before putting any money into it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005 - 11:27:28 AM »
I have already checked with the state and I just have to do a bond title and then the state will issue me a new vin number after a crap load of paperwork and signatures.

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005 - 12:03:31 PM »
I found the numbers on the Cowl infront of the Driverside windshield. I had to do a rub with paper and pencil to read them it is BI  156753 I know it is a 2 door hard top I know it is a 1970 I'm not positive on the engine yet either 318 or 340 ( i need to get the numbers off the side of the block). I think the B means it was Built in Michigan. Any Ideas? So Far the numbers Should Be B_23_0B156753 how can I fill in the blanks?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005 - 02:52:28 PM by Sal-Chichon »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005 - 09:51:48 PM »
Hi Sal,

Not sure how you'll fill in the blanks.  Can you find another VIN # on the radiator support?  Imagine if you're in front of the car and you lean over and put your hands on the radiator support.  Your right hand will be near it, towards the battery, on top of the support.  IF I'M WRONG PLEASE CORRECT ME!!!!  Any how, find another VIN if you can.

Here's a Year One page with VIN info. Maybe you can piece something together.

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.asp?enl=1&enlSEC=8&enlURL=http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20vin%20ID/moparvininfo1.asp

"B" is for Barracuda.  (Why is my Challenger a "J" and not a "C"?) 
Maybe the second digit, the "I" is part of an "H". 
23 is for 2 door coupe. 
You don't have the engine code (5th digit) so look for the other locations for a VIN #
"0" = 1970 model year,
"B" = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI
and the rest is the sequential production number starting with 100001

Check the pad on the passenger side of the engine block, just above the oil pan for #s.  Looks like you have some sort of a small block being that the distributor is in the back.  Would be interesting if the #s match the last #s on your VIN.  IF it does, and that's a big if, then you will be able to find your 5th digit of your VIN #.

Does anyone know the all locations for the VIN #????

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005 - 09:55:07 PM »
In another thread where someone asked where on the radiator support is the VIN, Chryco stated, "either under the antifreeze sticker on the top or between the rad or the rear face "

Check there Sal.  Dont sand too much of the surface rust.  You might take off some of the numbers.

Also, did you check the side of the driver's door for the manufacture sticker?  The manufacture date and VIN should be listed there if it's still there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005 - 10:29:43 PM by Super Blue 72 »

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005 - 02:47:08 AM »
I will be checking the engine for the numbers I was told by the seller that the engine was the stock engine that the car came with.  I have so far been able to find only the cowl numbers. the door jam has been scraped and no dash.  I will get a digital camera later today I will post pics as soon as possible.

Offline Sal-Chichon

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005 - 03:52:19 AM »
hey super thanks for the location on the Radiator Vin It matches BI I56753 this is the same as on the cowl. I don't know but I've been told that these are the Last eight digits. I was told that the B and the I are transposed on purpose and that means that it is a 71 out of dodge main. Now I need to find out info about the engine then I can try to track down any record of the vin number. the complete number should be BS23HIBI56753.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005 - 03:57:39 AM by Sal-Chichon »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005 - 02:15:32 PM »
Cool!  Keep up the great detective work!  Keep us updated!