I believe I found my Vin Numbers

Author Topic: I believe I found my Vin Numbers  (Read 13091 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re: I believe I found my Vin Numbers
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005 - 07:21:53 AM »
I think you are going to be SOL on this one. You could check the Hamtrack Registry to see if your numbers are on file. There are no official numbers for this era vehicle....apparently, they were lost in a fire or something. www.hamtramck-historical.com. After checking the site, no joy.

After doing some searching, I found a post on another board that indicated that only a partial VIN is stamped on the cowl. That information will contain the sequence number and two digits for the model and the year.

Something isn't adding up here...

Here's what's on the cowl and radiator support...
BI I56753

The "I" between the I and the 5 must really be a "1" because the 8th to 13th digits are sequence numbers. So, we need to end the VIN with SIX NUMBERS....hence "156753" 

Now, I'll also bet that the BI is really a B1, which means you have a '71 Barracuda of some type...as others have said. But the seller thought it was a '70? Hmmm...don't believe anything the seller told you!

Tread lightly here....this may be a case where someone has put the numbers on another car....in other words, beause you don't know where the dash VIN plate and the fender tags are, it's possible that someone is trying to pull a fast one here. That would be most likely if this were an E55 'cuda. Any chance that the seller has a copy of a registration or something?

I think you're stuck and not even Galen can help you out. In order to get the information that you need, someone at some point in time would have had to put that sequence number along with more informaiton about the car in a database somewhere. A preivous owner or someone who saw the car at a show or something would have had to do this. Seems very unlikely given the current condition of the car and the fact that people didn't just go around writing down VINs and option codes, much less put them into a computer datbase, 10+ years ago.

So, from a legal perspective, you may end up having to apply for a rebuilt, combination, or salvage title and have a new VIN assigned to the car.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005 - 08:05:35 AM by Steve »

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005 - 08:00:37 AM »
I will have to do some searching, (ie, hooking up my old computer) but I have the address for getting your VIN plate RESTAMPED.....but you need to show verifiable proof that the VIN that you want stamped is a legitimate VIN....Proof such as a copy of the title and a rubbing from the fender tag, etc.....the cost about 3 years ago was about $400 for each VIN plate requested.....
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005 - 08:21:09 AM »
Definately true.  You have to start with someting to make something.  I know that looking at the GTS website for Galen Govier he's pretty strict as to what he writes up.  If you don't have proof that your car came with it, ie build sheet, rubbings, etc., he won't write it down. 

I saw a place that remade fender tags but you had to give an old one first.  Other wise, number wise there wmight be more AAR 'Cudas, 'Cudas, etc out on the steet than there should be if someone wants to "make one" from a fictitious VIN/Fender tag, not that you would do that.  This is a tough one....  I didn't know that those were partial VIN#s on the cowl and radiator supprt!?!?  Oh well, would still be cool if that was the matching engine!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005 - 08:22:42 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2005 - 10:29:54 AM »
I just read a thread on Moparts regarding a guy who needed a VIN plate made because a previous owner of the vehicle replaced the entire dash assembly of his 1970 'cuda with the dash assembly of a 1974 'cuda! OUCH!

In that thread, the owner was trying to get information on having a NEW reproduction (read: original looking) vin dash plate made. There was considerable debate about whether or not this is even legal. In this particular case, the owner has a build sheet and fender tags. What I pulled from that thread was the following:

1. Laws differ from state to state. Check with your state DMV to determine what's acceptable.
2. Legitimate VIN plate reproductions are allowed in some states, BUT you will have to have extensive documentation for the car AND from your state to make this work.
3. Most states rectify this situation (i.e. missing/suspect VIN plate) by assigning a NEW vin to the vehicle, which entails a STATE produced VIN plate being permanently affixed to a structural part of the car (usually the door pillar).

So, given your situation of no fender tags, (which wouldn't be sufficient alone), no VIN plate, no build sheet (I assume), no Title (I assume), and no previous registration, you probably will have to go the route of having a NEW vin assigned to the car by the state. IF you can track down a previous owner who has a copy of an old registrration and that person will swear out an affidavit that this is the same car and so forth, you might be entitled to have a reproduction VIN plate made.

Knowing the original VIN (which is realistically only possible if you have the orginal paperwork or previous registration paperwork or something like that) will only tell you two things that don't know already: build plant and engine. Now, if the engine numbers match the sequence numbers on your cowl, you know you have a matching motor and the motor should have markings indicating the build plant. That's the best you will be able to do on documenting the origins of your car, including options.

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005 - 10:35:07 AM »
good luck with your car!! i also believe it to be a 71 but eithor way im sure it will be very nice when you  are done!!  :thumbs:
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005 - 10:41:17 AM »
I have no vin in my dash.  took pics of cowl, rad, door jam, then had state trooper come look at car and write on trooper letter head that the car is the car.

D.M.V. gave me a regestration and plates and I'm good to go

Alaskan TA.. I just found your message, I had lost my cell. I'll call you
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005 - 11:25:54 AM »
Doesn't the door jam sticker list the complete VIN?  If it matches the cowl and the rad support..... it will be easy.

I have no vin in my dash.  took pics of cowl, rad, door jam, then had state trooper come look at car and write on trooper letter head that the car is the car.

D.M.V. gave me a regestration and plates and I'm good to go

Alaskan TA.. I just found your message, I had lost my cell. I'll call you
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005 - 11:55:00 AM »
Doesn't the door jam sticker list the complete VIN?  If it matches the cowl and the rad support..... it will be easy.

CODY,
   The door jam sticker does indeed have the VIN number on it. The problem is, these are reproduced without any documentation. So having the VIN stamped on the cowl or radiator support would be more telling than a sticker.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005 - 02:06:13 PM »
yeah well I have checked with the state of Colorado and I am able to get a Bond Title and a Vin assigned to the car for some money and that doesn't bother me I don't want to win shows with the car I just want to add some style back to the streets of colorado. Ricers are out of control out here. the door jam sticker is missing so I don't have that to go off of. Oh well when it's done I'm not trying to sell the car. without fender tag I will be able to do the car how I want.
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005 - 02:22:12 PM »
We're sure you'll make it into something really cool!  Keep us updated! 

Doesn't have to be a show winner (My car isn't!), just have fun with it.  Once you have the VIN stuff out of your way, things will look rosey!  A piece here, a piece there.  Sooner than you know it that car will be lookin' fine!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Sal-Chichon

• 'Cuda Cop cars!! (Dreaming I guess) chargers R OK
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2005 - 02:30:56 PM »
I am happy I got the car for $600.00 so I can't complain, I wanted a turn key car but that is too much $$$$. I still have the mortgage, my truck and the wife's xterra payments so I needed to spend as little as possible to get the car now the sky is the limit it is just a matter of how long I'll be waiting to be able to drive the car.
F Rustangs and Crumaros!!! 'Cuda,  the only way to go, except maybe a Challenger!

Offline Mr. 6pak2go

• Resident
  • Restore it dont crush it!
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005 - 07:44:33 PM »
CODY,
   The door jam sticker does indeed have the VIN number on it. The problem is, these are reproduced without any documentation. So having the VIN stamped on the cowl or radiator support would be more telling than a sticker.

Mike
  hey mike your the second person that has said they are not accurate!! im not arguing with you or anything but where can you get these reproduction stickers??  can you also get the dash vin reproduction?? because im missin my dash vin on my cuda the dash was gone from the car when i bought it! so the only one i have(visible) is the one in the door  and one more quetion is it illegle to change the vin numbers on your car say youve got a 71 barracuda 318 car that would be bh23g1 could you get a dash and door number that reads bs23r1 and make a 71 hemi cuda clone legaly???
My family, My cars, My guns three things il fight for!!

Offline HEMI HUNTER

• SERIOUS H.P.IS REALLY COOL
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005 - 08:30:30 PM »
I hope not
Why are the only other cars on the road all in my rear view mirror?  Oh yeah cause I got a 440/6 pack

Thank you GOD for the "Go Fast Division"

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005 - 09:22:47 PM »
hey mike your the second person that has said they are not accurate!! im not arguing with you or anything but where can you get these reproduction stickers?? can you also get the dash vin reproduction?? because im missin my dash vin on my cuda the dash was gone from the car when i bought it! so the only one i have(visible) is the one in the door and one more quetion is it illegle to change the vin numbers on your car say youve got a 71 barracuda 318 car that would be bh23g1 could you get a dash and door number that reads bs23r1 and make a 71 hemi cuda clone legaly???

Only way to do this involves jail time.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2005 - 06:30:15 AM »
All of these VIN indicators (dash pads, door stickers, fender tags) are suspect because of how easy they are to move (i.e. swap dashes) or fabricate (fender tags & door stickers). There is a company that advertises in MCG and some of the other car magazines that specializes in reproducing such labels. In our case, they reproduce door stickers. Theoretically, the cowl numbers are supposed to verify the pedigree of a car, but as JS27N0B pionts out, the fact that the cowl numbers are not a complete VIN means that there is again room for fraud.

This is why documentation is so valuable! Can someone take a dash from a Hemi car and forge a Hemi? Yes. Of course it would help to have the cowl and radiator support numbers, but the other stuff like fender tags and door stickers are easy to have made.