installing headers on 73 cuda 340

Author Topic: installing headers on 73 cuda 340  (Read 1582 times)

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
installing headers on 73 cuda 340
« on: September 24, 2005 - 01:54:35 PM »
just put the eng/trans back in............now  how do the headers fit.....from the    top/ or bottom?   Whats  a good mfg  of gasket set for same?  and is there a compound to use 'gasket cement' ?  to avoid leaks............also,  anybody out there running a 3;55  posi with a 4speed......how's  it work?
............thx........d

Offline Cuda72

• Remember, in the next world you're on your own!
Re: installing headers on 73 cuda 340
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005 - 02:43:41 PM »
I hate to say it but it would have been easiest if you placed the headers into the engine compartment while you were installing the engine. After the engine is then secured the headers could be bolted right up without fighting for clearance. Since the engine is already in, your best bet is to raise the car as high as possible and install them from underneath (depending on the brand of headers). For the drivers side headers, you will most likely have to remove the center link to gain enough clearance, and most headers (except TTI) have one tube going under the center link. Good luck and just take your time with the installation.

As for gaskets, just use a good gasket (copper laminated if possible) and torque the bolts down evenly, being sure not to overtighten them which will result in bent flanges and leaks. I have used hi temp RTV to seal header flanges and collectors in the past, but they almost always start to leak some time later after the RTV burns away or detererates.

- Cuda72
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005 - 02:49:20 PM by Cuda72 »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005 - 09:01:11 PM »
Its not that large of an engine so from the top isn't that hard . . .

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 - 06:11:20 AM »
I used a set of gaskets made by Percy. I bought them from Jegs. They crush when you tighten the bolts, so you get a good seal. They are re-useable too.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.