Author Topic: Need a favor  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Need a favor
« on: September 30, 2005 - 08:51:26 AM »
Can someone do me a favor and trace the corner between the quarter, rear window, and decklid? If you're standing at the rear of the car and looking forward, I need to know the shape and size of the trunk decklid corner (not from the decklid itself, but the topside of the trunk gutter where the gutter meets the quarter/dutchman panel).

If I were doing this, I would open up the trunk, put a piece of paper on the topside of the trunk gutter so that it stradles the dutchman panel and the quarter, and trace the topside curve with a crayon or a pencil laid flat. If you can do this, could you scan it in and send it to me? I'm having a heck of a time fitting my decklid to the car and I think that my quarters are off.

thanks!
Steve

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Re: Need a favor
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 - 06:14:04 PM »
I can help you out, PM me and we can discuss in more detail.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005 - 07:23:10 AM »
Here's the area that I'm concerned about. All that metal in the corner was fabricated from scratch. I'm worried that I got the contours wrong.

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005 - 10:44:47 AM »
A trace on mine wont help, had to do the same thing, good luck! Rich.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005 - 11:55:38 AM »
Rich,
Are you running into any problems with regard to decklid fitment or alignment?

I made some measures this weekend and I believe that one quarter is longer than the other. How, you ask? Because the tail end of the original quarters were rotten, so I cut them off and replaced them with donor pieces. Remember, I have the quarter sheet metal cut off and will eventually weld on my quarter skins. As you know, the skins don't cover the entire tail section. I think that when I welded on the donor tail section, I made it about 1/4" too long on the driver side. So, when I bolted on the decklid to test the fitment and I lined up the decklid using the end of the quarter as a guide, the decklid was on crooked as you looked at the side and front margins. For example, the decklid margin up by the window was wider on the driver side and narrow on the passenger side. While I know that I have some adjustments to make to the quarter, I'm concerned that the size and shape of the repairs to the corners is incorrect. As for fixed the driver side quarter, I know think I need to do this when I am putting on the quarter skins.

Now, here's the really big question that I really need help with....The car is stripped to bare metal in most areas via small area sandblasting or stripper wheel. The underside still needs to be done as does the engine bay. I plan to have the entire car media blasted to get the surfaces prepped for primer. I plan to have this done while the quarter skins are still off. Why? For two reasons: 1) To give access to some of the normally hidden areas which have some surface rust. 2) To make clean-up a little easier.

So, do I go ahead and have the car blasted and then make my quarter adjustments and weld on the skins? Or do I weld on the skins first in attempt to get the quarter adjustment done properly.

Second, when I have the entire car blasted, should I immediately epoxy prime the car or will a rust inhibitor treatment suffice while I spot prep various areas for epoxy primer?

Thanks!
Steve

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005 - 02:56:58 PM »
Well Don't know how much I can help, my lid is a bit off too, on the drivers side I made the depth of the well to small(shallow) , but I really messed up that lid with heat when I tried to shrink it, till I get the latch & rubber bumpers on I won't know how much work is left.
I would think you can do the skins later, seal up all thats going to be hidden behind them. As for the shell, I would try & prime as much as possible, use the inhibitor on the areas that you still have to work. I know it's a waste of expensive paint but I might even shoot it all & then just wire wheel the areas to be welded later.
I've done a lotta stuff more than once,workin at home,with limited time you hafta do small areas, the hours fly by so fast you never seem to be able to finish what you start in one day, so I always have to improvise & touch up, even screwed up that nice hood patch I made, when I took the skin off today I saw a tiny line from the back, went to weld a few spots over it & blew right through, so now I have to do that over!
Always a challenge, nothin on this car ever went easy! Rich.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 - 09:12:25 PM »
Steve - the car should be geometrically correct. Have you tried any diagonal measurements that would support the idea that one quarter is longer than the other? I would sooner believe the shape of the corner might not be correct causing the symptoms. I can make a full size tracing and/or a cardboard template of the quarter, dutch panel, and large corner radius.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 - 07:37:55 AM »
Hey Mike,
Yah, I took some measures of the quarters and the trunk opening. The one quarter is longer than the other. Remember, I cut off the ends of the quarters and replaced them with donor parts. Looks like I just messed up on one side.
Thanks!

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005 - 07:45:36 AM »
Steve - do you still need the template and outline? If so, let me know your address and I'll get it out to you

MRT
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005 - 06:01:31 PM »
No...I think I'm good. Rachelle send me a tracing of her Challenger, which has some different features, but it gives me an idea of the trunk gutters. I also think that I figured out what I did wrong to get where I'm at and I think I know how to fix it. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks!
Steve