Electric fan(s) on your setup...im in the market for one.

Author Topic: Electric fan(s) on your setup...im in the market for one.  (Read 3106 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Electric fan(s) on your setup...im in the market for one.
« on: October 01, 2005 - 01:20:00 AM »
Hey gang, im looking to put a big electric fan to cool my barracuda. can i see some of your setups with the dimentions of the fan/core size of your radiator. looking for something i could just go get at a junkyard or something. Pics are great too :D

thanks!
-Goody
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

nivvy

Re: Electric fan(s) on your setup...im in the market for one.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005 - 10:44:35 AM »
I have the complete be cool setup...$1100...my 650 hp stroker doesnt run hot at all......has dual electric fans that are wired into the water pump housing.........turns off and on by itself....

8 Pack

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005 - 12:32:41 PM »
dude - ck out the dual fan setup in a Mystique/Contour. Nice fit on a 26" mopar radiator. Easily found at most wrecking yards for $25-$40
I got the idea from one of the motorheads on Moparts.  I had posted these somewhere but I'm sure they are gone from our last meltdown. ck it out:   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005 - 08:05:55 PM »
just a follow up on this; I clipped the corners and modifed the Ford shroud to completely capture all the cooling area of the Mopar 26" radiator. I bought some Bosch 30a relays and still need to wire them up. Chryco - could you repost your recommendations or a wiring diagram there? I think your previous post regarding this got nuked.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005 - 08:09:41 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005 - 08:19:44 PM »
check out "Zirgo" fans on Ebay
3300cfm that will cool any beast!

good luck!

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005 - 10:53:14 AM »
was thinking that I could wire these up with a fused large guage wire going to the hot side and the negative going to switch that would be grounded. Didnt want to relay it unless I had to. What do you think?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005 - 03:37:12 PM »
was thinking that I could wire these up with a fused large guage wire going to the hot side and the negative going to switch that would be grounded. Didnt want to relay it unless I had to. What do you think?

Mike,
   It all depends on what kind of current these things are drawing. I have to admit I have no guess here. If it's only a few amps, say 5... then your idea works. If these things draw much more, say 20 amps, then you will fry your switch. So a relay will be necessary in that case. Basically, switches can't handle high current. That's the problem you might be facing here. Maybe someone knows what kind of current these fans draw??

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 - 03:45:26 PM »
I think if you put a inline fuse between the fan and the switch you cvan see if it will work, if not buy the relay.  Most of these fans run low amps but require a load when first turned on.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005 - 08:36:41 PM »
yes, they are major amp draw when first cranked especially a pair of them. I planned to run a large guage wire from the alt to the horn relay and then run a fused feed line to the fans from there. The negative would be connected to the grounded temp switch. May need to relay thm because I want them switched with the key.

How about temp switches? Better to go screw-in type or the air type that mount in the radiator fins?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Videomagician

• settlemoir.tv
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006 - 05:23:54 PM »
Mike-

How did this setup work out?  How'd you wire it?

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye w/440
2002 Chrysler Town and Country eX
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4WD Hemi

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006 - 07:11:16 PM »
yes, they are major amp draw when first cranked especially a pair of them. I planned to run a large guage wire from the alt to the horn relay and then run a fused feed line to the fans from there. The negative would be connected to the grounded temp switch. May need to relay thm because I want them switched with the key.

How about temp switches? Better to go screw-in type or the air type that mount in the radiator fins?
I have the Be Cool system and it has the type that mounts to the radiator
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006 - 07:16:36 PM »
I bought a be cool pusher and put it in front of my 26" radiator, only see temps rise while sitting so I can just flip it on while in traffic on hot summer days.  Wired it to ground and in line fuse to the battery and a toggle inside the car, works fine like that.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006 - 08:09:13 PM »
Mike, Here is the diagram.    Always use a relay even if you just use a switch.    The diode KILLS the spike generated when the relay is shut off.  Always put one of these in too. If you put the diode in backwards it'll cook it so buy many since they are cheap at Rat Shack.
Rob
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 - 08:13:12 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006 - 11:25:04 PM »
Mike, Here is the diagram.    Always use a relay even if you just use a switch.    The diode KILLS the spike generated when the relay is shut off.  Always put one of these in too. If you put the diode in backwards it'll cook it so buy many since they are cheap at Rat Shack.
Rob

Thanks  :thumbsup: I ended up going with a painless wiring relay setup. My manual overide kill switch is my old 'map light' switch. other than that i let it run with the car off for a short period like if im just running in somewhere.
Shoulda updated it with what i used

Its off of a GM HHR. Cools great, i am having a little issue on the highway temp rising..but i havent blamed it on the fan just yet. In town/traffic, 95* weather its at 180*

Here she is

Thanks everyone  :cooldancing:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006 - 06:29:42 AM »
That dual fan setup that Mike found is nice!   I would use one of those with dual relays and dual fuses. That way If one fan fails or blows a fuse, the other one saves your car.   Sitting in line, trying to get into Car Craft in the summer, lets everyone know who's car is up to snuff!    If you can't take the heat, every sees you on the side of the road.
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0