R/T option on Challangers

Author Topic: R/T option on Challangers  (Read 10567 times)

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
Re: R/T option on Challangers
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005 - 10:43:04 AM »
Lemon Twist,
No I am not saying it made it a real R/T. The factory classified R/T 's by the VIN JS and base Challengers with JH. I am saying if the person wanted R/T emblems on the car and the dealer put them on for him and in his eyes he had a 340 R/T and everybody he met and told he had a 340 R/T and they saw the car with the emblems they would beleive him. Back then most people didn't even know about vin numbers or cared.(ah the good old days when they were just hot cars and not investments) I ve seen things and heard many a story about some special car that was bought knew and this or  that ---until you go and check out the car for yourself and find the truth. A few years back I heard stories about a one owner 67 Coronet R/T HEMI CONVERTIABLE. I listen to stories from many different people and they all differ somewhat. One was it was a low milage pristine car another was it was parked outside and another was it was in a garage with a dirt floor and rusting away.  Nobody really could tell me where this car was except for the general area. The stories went on for years and then one day I found someone who actually knew where the car was and he told me. Well knowing only 3 Hemi R/T Conv. were built I had to find this baby and I did. What I found was a 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 wearing a 67 R/t hood and emblems and tail panel and lights.Yes it was a convertiable and yes it was a real HEMI  4-speed car. 1 of 9 built. I talked to the owner and it was not for sale and yes it was sitting outside  but it did sit in his dirt floor garage before the roof started to collaspe and he decided it was no longer safe. The point is how a story gets started and changed from one person to another over time.
JS27
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006 - 04:54:57 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005 - 10:58:47 AM »
Thanx for the insight, much appreciatted!
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005 - 08:17:30 PM »
Wow a person that agrees. I guess you would have had to been there like my dad and js27 was to believe it.
I don't think he is agreeing with you, but letting you know how an incorrect badge could easily have been put on the car. Still doesn't make it an R/T.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005 - 09:14:47 PM »
You would not believe all that came into a dealership from the factory in the 70's.  Talk about being badged wrong I saw a Valient marked with Dart badges and it also was painted Forest green over white and was not sanded before the Green was painted on and when I washed it with a power sprayer all of the Green came off.

All I want to ask if it came from the factory with R/T emblems on it and  was a JH car and not  a JS car what is the big deal and why would it not be a R/T?

I also know the vehicles could be changed while being built.  I worked a Chrysler dealer who could call and get things added that would not show up on the id or in the vin.  I was there when the vehicles came in and did the new vehicle prep.  I also personally know the dealer and the owners of the vehicles that were delivered.

My challanger was fully loaded with several options and was supose to have the bee strip on the tail.  I did not put it on because I really did not care for them,

I also want to raise the question about numbers matching and will do that later.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005 - 11:28:21 PM »

All I want to ask if it came from the factory with R/T emblems on it and  was a JH car and not  a JS car what is the big deal and why would it not be a R/T?

Gordon

Same reason that if you did it today it would be a clone.  Emblems do not make a JH a JS car, just like the 'Cuda emblem does not make a BH car a BS car.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005 - 10:32:49 AM »
I agree with FY1 RT SE. 

Imagine if I had a 2006 Corvette and put Z06 emblems on it.  What is it now?  Does it give me another 100hp because of the emblems?  As stated previously, the emblems do not make the car.

It's possible that the car came with the R/T emblems from the factory (mistake, someone threw them on on purpose, etc.), but you're logic on how a JH car is a real R/T JS car only because of the emblems doesn't jive in my book. 

Does it have other R/T items?  And even if it did have the A66 340 Performance package there's no mention of R/T emblems on that list.

I'm not ragging on you but am curious to know more of your car.  It is interesting.  Any documentation?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005 - 11:13:36 AM »
Hey Flashcuda,
ALL the 70 340 challengers were coded JH for Challenger not JS for R/T. Does this mean they are any less a muscle car NO !!! Did that car go any faster or is it worth more because it had R/T badges..NO !! Dodge for a good reason decided not to call the 340 cars R/T's. This means they needed a different vin. My guess is since all insurance companies at the time went by the vin codes to determine the insurance rate. This allowed people to get a muscle car but pay base car insurance rates. So Dodge did have a better idea..
I also remenber reading an article in Mopar Collectors Guide about a 70 Challenger with a 383-4 barrel and a 4-speed but it was a JH car not a JS. Somehow the car was ordered with the HP motor but not the R/t package and it was a documented car and Galen approved if I remember correctly. For all purposes it was an R/T drive train--just as fast and just as cool but no R/T badges or no R/T vin. It was a JH23NOB.
This thread is really getting some attention.
JS27
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006 - 04:55:22 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005 - 11:29:33 AM »

I have always thought that the 340 cars had "R/T" options, not R/T's as much just had some of the options.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005 - 02:17:31 PM »

I have always thought that the 340 cars had "R/T" options, not R/T's as much just had some of the options.

A66's cars were missing two important items that the R/T's had.

1. The Big Block 4bbl. engine.
2. Rallye guages as standard.

Also, many JH23 and JH29 "N" cars were produced.  Automatics received the 330HP engines, while 4 speeds got the 335HP engine. 

You could not order a 340 engine alone like you could a 383 or 440 as there was no "stand" alone pricing for it in 1970.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 - 02:34:40 PM by FY1 RT SE »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005 - 02:32:26 PM »

Thanks for filling me in on the details FY1. :-)
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005 - 09:33:33 PM »
I will still disagree with all that say it had to be a big block to be an R/T.  I know that they came from the factory any way the customer wanted them and if they knew the right people to call then they could get them changed any way they wanted them.

I was around when these cars were new.  They were built any way the customer wanted.  It might have been a clone to you but it was an R/T to the person that bought it new.  I know that it still has the R/T emblems on it and to me it will always be an R/T no matter what the vin says or what the build sheet says.

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005 - 11:10:30 AM »
I know that it still has the R/T emblems on it and to me it will always be an R/T no matter what the vin says or what the build sheet says.

Gordon

I have a low miles 72 hemi Cuda for sale, cheap!
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005 - 08:25:06 PM »
REALLY!!!  How much do you want for it.........hey, wait a minute!  You tricked me, you waskly wabbit!
{oo/===\oo}

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005 - 10:09:56 AM »
I found a interesting article on FRENCH 70 challengers. I will post it tonight when I get off work.
JS27
1967 GTX

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005 - 04:44:03 PM »
Here it is. This was a e-mail I received from a guy in France about his 70 Challenger. I tried to attach it but it would not accept it so I retyped it word for word. To me these sound like real 383 R/T Challengers but with no badging and a JH Vin.
What do you think...

3/21/02
I'm from France My car is an original French Delivered car, sold by then Chrysler-owned " SIMCA" corporation. It is a JH27N car. The problem with all original French Challengers is that Simca did not order them on customer's request,but rather ordered a batch of what they thought would be good selling cars in France. Hence not one of them is an R/T, although they all had 383,rally dashes,and consoles,front disc brakes,sure grips etc.Almost everything that makes the R/T but the badges.The colors chosen were the dullest,ugliest possible(you guys in the US got the Plum Crazy,Tor Red,Sub Lime,Triple Black and we got EB3 " DULL BLUE", Light Grey Metallic etc.) Thus, most cars have been repainted with sexier colors. I will probably strip mine and do a complete paint job in a year or two. All our cars had the radio antenna relocated on the right rear quarter panel. The temptation was great, and most previous owners have turned them into R/T clones, with sometimes a lot of work done to them.
Fabien Bernard
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006 - 04:55:47 PM by Rev-It-Up »
1967 GTX